Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:08 AM

862 posts, read 3,549,606 times

Advertisements

We're moving AGAIN! I have a Verizon landline and more than likely, they'll make me change my number AGAIN! We live in SW Durham and plan on moving to SE Durham soon. I think this is the perfect time for us to switch to Vonage for my primary number as I'm tired of this switching around and there's no guarantee we wont stay put (but I can hope). This is our fourth move since 05!

Okay, now I think things may get complicated. I want to port my number to Vonage, but I want to keep my existing landline bundled with dsl. I want to keep a bare bones landline number which will only be there for the alarm system. I wonder if anyone has done this before? If so, how did everything work out? I'm not sure exactly what order to do what and what I should tell Verizon. I know when you move, they tend to try to 'sell' you on all these special offers (aka review your account to make sure they're providing the best service).

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions I may want to look into, I'd appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 10:12 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,444 times
You can port your number to vonage anytime. You dont need a phone number to have DSL. Use your vonage for the alarm system.

Alternative to Vonage: Home | Ooma

Old 11-18-2009, 10:32 AM

As per the website, vonage doesn't work with home alarms:

Vonage - Frequently Asked Questions

Old 11-18-2009, 12:45 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
Just so I understand - you want your existing Vz number ported to your new Vonage line and then you want to *add* a new Verizon line and number just for your alarm?
Do you know if your alarm company supports wireless connections? I'm not a crook, but it would seem like cutting a phone line would be the first thing to do before entering a home.

Frank

Old 11-18-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post

It will work, it just is not supported. Plug alarm wire into a phone jack near the smart box. the alarm system needs a dial tone. It does not care if it is vonage, Verizon, TWC or whoever.

I've been working with an Alarm guy who has done this hundreds of times. Don't believe everything you read.

Details: http://www.vonage.com/support.php?topic=4&article=864

Last edited by StanFischlerHockE; 11-18-2009 at 01:06 PM..

Old 11-18-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Just so I understand - you want your existing Vz number ported to your new Vonage line and then you want to *add* a new Verizon line and number just for your alarm?
Do you know if your alarm company supports wireless connections? I'm not a crook, but it would seem like cutting a phone line would be the first thing to do before entering a home.

Frank
Most companies offer a Wireless backup solution. You can use this method as primary dial out for the alarm also (its not a phone just a send signal to central station solution). Usually a one time fee charge for the device.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:31 PM

754 posts, read 1,693,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post

We've used Vonage with CPI for 5+ years.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:47 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,584,421 times
I work for a telcomm and you are asking for trouble trying to pull something like that off. If you transfer your number you are canceling your service with your old provider. That will probably also cancel your DSL or at the least break it.

The fun with all the telco break ups and mergers is they have countless billing and order systems and making them all work together is a miracle.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I work for a telcomm and you are asking for trouble trying to pull something like that off. If you transfer your number you are canceling your service with your old provider. That will probably also cancel your DSL or at the least break it.

The fun with all the telco break ups and mergers is they have countless billing and order systems and making them all work together is a miracle.
Yeah, I kind of thought so. It seems like a house of cards... I guess I'll figure something out.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:31 PM

151 posts, read 404,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
It will work, it just is not supported. Plug alarm wire into a phone jack near the smart box. the alarm system needs a dial tone. It does not care if it is vonage, Verizon, TWC or whoever.

I've been working with an Alarm guy who has done this hundreds of times. Don't believe everything you read.

Details: Vonage - Support - Using an alarm system and Vonage
I have my alarm working with Vonage, no problems whatsoever. 4 years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary