Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 01:06 PM

112 posts, read 123,561 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband, six-month-old son and I are considering moving to the Triangle area (from Portland, OR) in the next two years, or possibly as soon as six months. We know nothing about the area, so we're going to be visiting first, but I'd love some advice!

What we want: Older, historical area. Near a city/town center, within walking/short driving distance of fun things to do. Artsy. Safe. Dog friendly. Within a 45 minute drive (or less, ideally) of RTP.

What we don't want: The 'burbs. New subdivisions, tons of new developments.

A friend of ours suggested Carrboro. Does this sound like a good fit? Any other suggestions?

We'll be renting before we buy, and would like to keep it at or under $1100 a month, though we could swing up to $1300/m.

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 01:11 PM

102 posts, read 316,653 times
If you're in search of an "older, historical" area, there's slim pickin's. The downtown areas of Raleigh, Durham, CH or Carrboro might do the trick though.

What do you mean by "artsy"?

I moved to Raleigh from the PacNW and it's radically different in terms of how the cities are laid out. Raleigh/Durham does not have anything close to the vibrant downtowns of Portland or Seattle. More like Spokane at very best.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:16 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puggal View Post
Hello!

My husband, six-month-old son and I are considering moving to the Triangle area (from Portland, OR) in the next two years, or possibly as soon as six months. We know nothing about the area, so we're going to be visiting first, but I'd love some advice!
Just curious: if you "know nothing about the area", why are you thinking of moving here?

Old 11-30-2009, 01:24 PM

60 posts, read 118,770 times
What you're describing is Durham. And you'll get a lot of flack on this board from people who live in the 'burbs and don't like the vibrant diversity that is found in Durham. In neighborhoods like Trinity Park and Watts Hospital you'll find craftsman bungalows and older homes of all types and sizes, from which you can walk to some of the best restaurants in the area and the Durham Performing Arts Center. 20 minutes from the airport and from RTP. I lived in Durham for 13 years (I'm now back in the country in Chatham) and I loved every minute of it.

That said, there is property crime and you have to have an alarm system and be careful where you park at night. Most of the crime is limited to certain neighborhoods and violent crime is usually limited to those areas. The city of Durham has a Crimemapper function on their website that's excellent.

The other area that has what you are looking for would be Oakwood in downtown Raleigh that comes with similar caveats.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:51 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,853 times
I agree with the recommendations on Durham, and recommend the Trinity Park/Watts Hillandale areas. Think the above poster is going a little over the top on the crime comments...I've got several friends living in Trinity Park, none of whom have had car breakins or burglaries, and none of whom have burglar alarms. Not saying breakins don't happen there, but there's alot of people raising families in the area who have not had problems.

Carrboro also could be a fit for you. Much greater diversity of housing in that area, a little historic, and alot of small rentals mixed in with some bigger homes. Get a pretty healthy mix of students, grad students and professionals in that area compared with Trinity Park which is mostly professionals. Much more compact than Durham.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:21 PM

60 posts, read 118,770 times
Carrboro is indeed a great place, that's where I have my office. It's definitely artsy, and you can walk to shops and to the fabulous farmers market. What is difficult to get there, though, is the older historic homes. There are a few but they are rather rare.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:40 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,152,323 times
Overall, what is the economy like in the Triangle area right now? Are all sectors suffering or are there some that are doing okay or even better than usual?

Old 11-30-2009, 06:43 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
1. Sucks.
2. Nurses and doctors are employed.

Quote:
Overall, what is the economy like in the Triangle area right now? Are all sectors suffering or are there some that are doing okay or even better than usual?

Old 12-01-2009, 06:02 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,873,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnhayes View Post
What you're describing is Durham. And you'll get a lot of flack on this board from people who live in the 'burbs and don't like the vibrant diversity that is found in Durham. In neighborhoods like Trinity Park and Watts Hospital you'll find craftsman bungalows and older homes of all types and sizes, from which you can walk to some of the best restaurants in the area and the Durham Performing Arts Center. 20 minutes from the airport and from RTP. I lived in Durham for 13 years (I'm now back in the country in Chatham) and I loved every minute of it.

That said, there is property crime and you have to have an alarm system and be careful where you park at night. Most of the crime is limited to certain neighborhoods and violent crime is usually limited to those areas. The city of Durham has a Crimemapper function on their website that's excellent.

The other area that has what you are looking for would be Oakwood in downtown Raleigh that comes with similar caveats.
Spot on! Totally agree with all said here.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:26 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,344,530 times
You may also want to check out Wake Forest or a few towns just north of Wake Forest. Downtown Wake Forest looks like small town America in the 1950s. Little stores and shops along White Street. There is a Historic district around the old Wake Forest University where the homes are big and majestic. There are new subdivision sprinkled all around the area and a nice big Lake just West of it called Falls Lake. There is also a town Park that has a doggy play area. Worth a look see IMHO. There are a number of good Wake Forest agents that visit this forum who can give you much more details about the area than I. Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary