Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 07:10 AM

26 posts, read 124,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Where in Clayton and congratulations?
We bought in the Creeks at Millstone and are closing next week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 06:42 AM

2 posts, read 10,467 times
[SIZE=3]After reading these threads I'm starting to feel a little better. We (husband and two kids) are moving to NC from Northern VA this summer. We've been looking at Clayton and Garner and really enjoy the new subdivisions that are being built out there. Broadmoor West and Adams Point. But a co-worker mentioned that Johnston County wasn't as convenient and ethnically as diverse as Wake County. He also mentioned that Johnston County wasn't viewed "as nice of an area as Wake County". I loved the Clayton/Garner area but not being from around NC and not knowing the area at all it made me a little nervous. Can anyone give any feedback? My husband and I are in our late 30's early 40's and are an inter-racial couple with two kids. I want to make sure that we don't move into an area that might not be open minded to ethnic diversity.[/SIZE]

Old 02-08-2008, 07:55 AM

473 posts, read 1,737,360 times
Can anyone tell me what area of Clayton is CLOSEST to Garner area? My DH works in Garner and Raleigh areas and I work part time in Cary. (Not concerned so much about my commute) I also need my mother in law from Holly Springs (just near Sunset Lake Rd) to have an easy travel to our home as she watches the kids for us a lot.

We loved the homes in Clayton but they all seem so darn far away from the areas we are trying to get to or have people come from.

We are currently in Willow Spring. We are looking to A. downsize a bit B. find an established n'hood and C. really desire non HOA community if possible

Txs
L

p.s. we are homeschooling.. don't care about schools

Old 02-08-2008, 08:06 AM

116 posts, read 471,966 times
Another vote for Clayton. We looked into all the surrounding areas prior to our move from Albuquerque. We only been here a month or so but we really like it. Of course I am homesick but that would have been true wherever we ended up. Love the ES...a little disappointed with the HS but Im sure that will work out in the end too. Nice neighborhood...nice people....not a bad commute for DH to Raleigh. Win win.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:14 PM

169 posts, read 419,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncluvinturner View Post
After reading these threads I'm starting to feel a little better. We (husband and two kids) are moving to NC from Northern VA this summer. We've been looking at Clayton and Garner and really enjoy the new subdivisions that are being built out there. Broadmoor West and Adams Point. But a co-worker mentioned that Johnston County wasn't as convenient and ethnically as diverse as Wake County. He also mentioned that Johnston County wasn't viewed "as nice of an area as Wake County". I loved the Clayton/Garner area but not being from around NC and not knowing the area at all it made me a little nervous. Can anyone give any feedback? My husband and I are in our late 30's early 40's and are an inter-racial couple with two kids. I want to make sure that we don't move into an area that might not be open minded to ethnic diversity.
We don't take kindly to your folks 'round these parts! Just joking!

I don't know what to say, other than Clayton isn't backwoods like you were told There is no place as ethnically diverse as Northern Virginia though. I felt as if I was a minority there most of the time as a white guy, as did most of the black people I worked with! It truly is a melting pot up there.

The newer areas of Clayton especially, are very diverse. I don't think that should be your worry personally, but maybe someone who has been in your position can share their views.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:20 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,969 times
Quote:
[SIZE=3]-EXCERPT-But a co-worker mentioned that Johnston County wasn't as convenient and ethnically as diverse as Wake County. My husband and I are in our late 30's early 40's and are an inter-racial couple with two kids. I want to make sure that we don't move into an area that might not be open minded to ethnic diversity.[/SIZE]
Hi there,
I live in Clayton and I'm not sure I would peg it as not "ethically diverse". It may not be AS ethically diverse as say the bigger cities like Durham or Raleigh. Still, I'd not use such a broad brush on the issue...as it doesn't mean that the area isn't "open to diversity".

I live in the Archer Lodge section of Clayton (Wendell PO) and its quite rural. I know of several interracial couples, including my neighbors across the street. I've not seen anyone bat an eye.

Lauren

Old 02-12-2008, 06:24 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMommy2-4 View Post
Can anyone tell me what area of Clayton is CLOSEST to Garner area?
It really depends on which area in Raleigh and Garner you are talking about. Garner/Raleigh are a strange shape and are close to both Clayton sections (the 40/42 Cleveland area and the Archer Lodge....I realize there are more than 2 areas in Clayton but for the sake of ease am splitting it into two). The 40/42 area is actually Garner and in some cases Raleigh. Where we are in the Archer Lodge section, we're about 15 minutes from Garner and Raleigh depending on where you are going.

My BIL/SIL live in Holly Springs....we can go the back way 42 to (is it?) 55 or the 70 way. Both are about a 45 minute trip. So over in the 40/42 area would be about 20 minutes closer probably.

HTH
Lauren

Old 02-12-2008, 10:34 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMommy2-4 View Post
Can anyone tell me what area of Clayton is CLOSEST to Garner area? My DH works in Garner and Raleigh areas and I work part time in Cary. (Not concerned so much about my commute) I also need my mother in law from Holly Springs (just near Sunset Lake Rd) to have an easy travel to our home as she watches the kids for us a lot.

We loved the homes in Clayton but they all seem so darn far away from the areas we are trying to get to or have people come from.

We are currently in Willow Spring. We are looking to A. downsize a bit B. find an established n'hood and C. really desire non HOA community if possible

Txs
L

p.s. we are homeschooling.. don't care about schools
Hows this? Clayton and Garner both reside on Hwy 70. (it runs East to West) Since they both border on the same highway, there is about a 10 minute distance between both. So, in my opinion, if you are looking for a subdivision in Clayton close to Garner, I would look for one that runs off of Hwy 70. I live in Cobblestone off of Hwy 70 and it takes me about 15 minutes to Garner.

Hope that helps!

Old 02-12-2008, 10:36 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times
Quote:
[SIZE=3]After reading these threads I'm starting to feel a little better. We (husband and two kids) are moving to NC from Northern VA this summer. We've been looking at Clayton and Garner and really enjoy the new subdivisions that are being built out there. Broadmoor West and Adams Point. But a co-worker mentioned that Johnston County wasn't as convenient and ethnically as diverse as Wake County. He also mentioned that Johnston County wasn't viewed "as nice of an area as Wake County". I loved the Clayton/Garner area but not being from around NC and not knowing the area at all it made me a little nervous. Can anyone give any feedback? My husband and I are in our late 30's early 40's and are an inter-racial couple with two kids. I want to make sure that we don't move into an area that might not be open minded to ethnic diversity.[/SIZE]
Howdy!
I really hope you dont think people are going to stop and point...believe me, thats not what you are going to get! Its just a great town full of friendly people. Its not "backwoods" at all. And there is alot of diverse families in Johnston county. I think you will feel right at home here!

Heather
(Also a diversity)

Old 02-12-2008, 11:49 AM

439 posts, read 1,748,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pad3 View Post
Our family was seriously considering Wake County, but after a lot of research we are now leaning towards Johnston County, Clayton inparticular. Did anyone else feel this way? Why or why not? We have only had our home on the market 2 weeks and although we have had a lot of showings are getting very nervous with our decision.
Clayton and the surrounding area was actually suggested to me, so that's when we started looking into it a bit further. I'm able to get more house for my money, plain and simple.

We've had our place on the market here in Florida for nearly a month without a single showing. So, I know what you're going through. Not that I had time to deal with a showing until now anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary