Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:13 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
We had very clean roads/highways when I was young(70's and early 80's). It slowly devolved into the mess we have today though with the population influx, other factors. It is a lot easier to keep a triangle area with 250k residents clean as opposed to the ~ 1 million we have today. I miss the way it used to look, and hope we find a way to return it so. There is no specific blame to cast, just more people willing to trash the place nowadays, and less to maintain it.
I totally agree with you on this.

I do think people today just don't stop and THINK about what they are doing and apparantly throwing trash out the window seems easier than actually putting it in a trash can!

Perhaps we should form a city data "clean up the highway" meet up! Let me know in advance so I can make sure I'm not scheduled to get my nails done that day!!!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 09:29 PM

346 posts, read 613,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

Perhaps we should form a city data "clean up the highway" meet up! Let me know in advance so I can make sure I'm not scheduled to get my nails done that day!!!

Vicki
Really an excellent idea I'd be willing to do my part. It is somewhat risky due to the hazards of being hit by motorists...The local news venues could be made aware and bring the general public in as well... We could do this perhaps one day per month given the proper weather...a Triangle type Earth Day.. Take back our highways and byways

Old 01-04-2010, 09:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cny2cnc View Post
There is lots more litter here in NC than anywhere in the northeast. Don't know why, I live in Davidson County and it's free for residents to take your trash to the transfer station. Someone told me it's worse in the winter, because they don't have the convict work crews picking it up in the cold weather.
This is true inmates wear pajama material outfits.
To provide winter wear would cause taxes to go off the roof and a way to hide homemade weapons.
look at the date of these threads
Garbage and debris - does anyone care?
Does High Wind Lead to More Trash?
TRASH!!! The biggest problem with NC
some are april one thread revived in january all would require extra clothing to cover those pajama like outfits

Old 01-04-2010, 09:45 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
I still feel like it is more from small businesses and workers than actual residents who are throwing scraps/trash.

Just a question. If there was trash in the middle of the road in NJ, who exactly would you call to pick it up?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:27 PM

31 posts, read 96,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
I have been here all of 3 weeks now and I am appalled by how much dumping of garbage I see along back country roads and even arond the Raleigh area. Three days ago while driving on New bern Ave towards Knightdale...in the median there is a huge pile of garbage someone just dumped there...its been scattered about by the winds but no one has come to clean it up...also while driving around some neighborhoods that have lakes/ponds,the shorelines are just littered...What gives?.. I know you all dont like comparisons to other places but I do believe people in NJ are more respectful of putting garbage in its proper place...Not only that but a few weeks back in a thread about what people do to get rid of their leaves,one respondant said he burns them along with his used motor oil...are folks that backwards here?

Lot's of trash from Moderator cut: language driving around in pick-up trucks not caring what is blowing out and....................just wondering...............why didn't you you stop to pick up that garbage?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-05-2010 at 07:04 AM..

Old 01-05-2010, 04:38 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimecovers3 View Post
Lot's of trash from Moderator cut: language driving around in pick-up trucks not caring what is blowing out and....................just wondering...............why didn't you you stop to pick up that garbage?
That's very true. I think a lot of trash on the highways is coming from unsecured debris and trash on trucks and trailers. I saw thousands of small pieces of cardboard on 40 east of Raleigh over weekend. I'm sure it was just a careless mistake

We saw a woman about a month ago picking up cigarette butts at the intersection of Six Forks and Ramblewood. Apparently she was concerned enough about the eye sore to actually do something about it. She had almost filled her grogery bag full. I'm sure there's a little we would all chip in and do

Old 01-05-2010, 04:50 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I'm sure there's a little we would all chip in and do
Adopt a section of highway, get your neighbors or other concerned parties involved, and clean it up once per season. Don't need a special meetup group, and if a lot of people did this in their "effected area", the problem would take care of itself. And believe it or not, it's actually fun, and a good chance to meet people. (Maybe as a side benefit, we can "clean" up some of these threads about how nobody can meet all the unfriendly people around here...)

I believe the DMV, or maybe the city or county will provide the bags, vests, and will pick up what you collected. I'm in Lee County, so I'm not sure how it works in Wake....

Old 01-05-2010, 05:52 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
What about getting some of the people who just had their unemployment benefits extended out there to help...

Old 01-05-2010, 06:33 AM

346 posts, read 613,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimecovers3 View Post
Just picking it up ? Well if I had a couple hours ...but I didnt...it was alot of junk. The first thing that came to my mind was how fast people were driving down this stretch of road...but I have some time today and after rush hour i will go back with some garbage bags and a hi-viz jacket and see what I can pick up.... How ironic to see a car with NJ license plates parked along the shoulder of the road and the occupants picking up the litter strewn about? In NJ if you were to see a similar dumping you'd call the local municipality...or the State EPA. Its a shame ...this is the Capital of NC and its a poor example for the state. From what I have read here of past threads...this issue comes and goes like the tide. Nothing ever seems to be accomplished. Its high time our elected officials got off their collective a$$e$ and did something to help improve the situation. Indeed citizen groups that adopt a "highway" and police it for trash has worked in other states...Signs are even erected to inform motorists that the road they are on has been adopted by a certain named group.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:55 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
This is true inmates wear pajama material outfits.
To provide winter wear would cause taxes to go off the roof and a way to hide homemade weapons.
look at the date of these threads
Garbage and debris - does anyone care?
Does High Wind Lead to More Trash?
TRASH!!! The biggest problem with NC
some are april one thread revived in january all would require extra clothing to cover those pajama like outfits
Great information and makes all the sense in the world. The state does have a significant litter problem and you help to explain why it appears worse at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary