Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:03 PM

140 posts, read 621,443 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are looking to get away this coming long weekend and figured

1. No one would go to the beach when it's this cold
2. No Traffic to fight
3. Room rates would be reasonable
4. ????
5. Profit

Jk on the profit piece but you get the idea. I would be appreciative if anyone had suggestions on where to stay (all options open) and what might be open during off season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 08:07 PM

420 posts, read 1,397,469 times
We are going this weekend too! 56 sounds downright balmy compared to what we've been having!!

Old 01-13-2010, 08:08 PM

113 posts, read 727,665 times
We went to Duck a couple winters ago and LOVED it. We rented a large house though, so I can't comment on where to stay. But it was so peaceful, not crowded, we had a great time!

Old 01-13-2010, 08:14 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,926,307 times
Great time of the year to go to the beach. We're leaving first thing in the morning....be on the beach right after lunch for a long walk.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:22 PM

140 posts, read 621,443 times
Kill Devil Hills (Kitty Hawk) sounds like the place to stay, central and plenty to do near by. I would love to go fly a kite in these winds.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:32 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,408 times
I personally think its one of the best times to go! The only downfall is, not alot of places are open. I went a few years ago and the only place that was open for dinner was this pizza joint. We were not in the mood for pizza, but we were starving. Let me tell you..that was one of the best nights we ever had! We sat up at the bar, eating pizza and talking to the locals for HOURS. Apparently its a social place during the winter hours, we heard alot of great stories. We actually returned the next night for another social hour. It was great.

The lighthouses are usually open, also check out Jockey Ridge. Its a huge sand dune that you can climb up. The view from the top is totally worth it. Dress warm@!

Old 01-14-2010, 05:48 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,077,144 times
A mild winter weekend is really a great time to head to the OB. The lack of crowds enhances the beautiful and it just feels "right". As mentioned above, the downside of the lack of crowds is the lack of open restaurants, etc.
The Sanderling Inn in Duck seems to operate all year so their restaurants remain open. The link below is their casual restaurant that serves great breakfasts:

The Sanderling Resort & Spa - Dining - Lifesaving Station Restaurant

Frank

Old 01-14-2010, 06:29 AM

53 posts, read 137,412 times
We went last weekend, and it was great. Quite cold, but beautiful nonetheless. We stayed at the Carolina Oceanfront (Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront - an Outer Banks Hotel in Kill Devil Hills) in Kill Devil Hills. I think it was $47.00 a night. Most of the gift shops and little stores were open.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 13,764 times
It is a great time to visit the Outer Banks of NC! There is lots to do or NOT! Many of the historical sites are open. Go to Pea Island and see the wintering waterfowl. There is a visitors center at the 1 mile post in Kitty Hawk for info. Many motels and lots of great restaurants open -locals love the Black Pelican (local oysters) and Tortugas-great locals bar. Saturday weather should be great (50's)but come prepared for the wind if you walk on the beach.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:05 AM

21 posts, read 62,518 times
My family was there the week after Christmas and we had a very nice time. It was our first time visiting the Outer Banks in the winter and we were pleasantly surprised with how many places were open.

We really enjoyed going to Jockey's Ridge to walk around without worrying about scortching summer sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary