Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 06:20 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
I would say the wholesomeness! I know that sounds weird but I don't see the diversity (non race related) here. And don't give me Durham or Chapel Hill b/c I live in Durham and play in Chapel Hill and there is still a undercurrent of wholesomeness. Nothing wrong with being wholesome, but a truely diverse community has a touch of debauchery, good debauchery thrown in for good measure. It's adds to the overall liveliness. I'm a freaking young, single guy who is used to some debauchery and would like some here for good measure. It's makes for a better overall work/play experience.
There is plenty of debauchery here! You aren't "running" in the right circles if you haven't found it. There are groups of debaucherous people "running" all over the world, you just have to know how to find them!

Unless you are looking for the mindless, superficial, wham-bam-thank you ma'am stuff from FL (believe me, I know all about it, born and raised second-generation Miamian here). Not so much of that in this area, although I'm sure there still is to some extent. Here you can find debauchery and real friendship in the same people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 07:49 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Used to live there.

NOLA has a really ugly underbelly. Crime beyond belief and nobody cares.

Our sheriff had 3 DWI's. Two were in his patrol car. He's now holding a high state office.

I'll take Raleigh over NOLA anyday.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:37 PM

9 posts, read 29,034 times
My husband and I (with 1 child expecting a second) are planning to move to NC by next summer. We're from New Jersey as well. My sis and bro just moved in Durham last year. We're just torn between Raleigh (north) and Durham (South Point area). Our main concern is the school system. where in New Jerys ey are you from?

Old 09-13-2007, 12:48 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
The subdivisions in WF are pretty diverse. Does that that make them somehow more "real world"?

We debate that on our front porches many nights. So far the consensus is "no"- the kids all look different but they are all equally annoying with their Webkinz, skateboards, cell phones, & attitudes! It is a constant battle- trying to give your family a good life while also teaching them teh value of hard work!

Old 09-13-2007, 01:37 PM

My wife says she wishes many times she stuck to cats instead of kids.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,039 times
Default Moved to Raleigh from Long Island

My husband and I moved here from Long Island almost one year ago. We wanted to follow the grandchildren. It's nice, but we are both missing New York. It is hard to get use to the ways here. A cultural shock.

We are going to give it another year and then maybe we will go back to our own roots. The thing is, that Long Island is so expensive now, so we are betwen a rock and a hard place.

I guess there is no perfect place.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie62 View Post
My husband and I moved here from Long Island almost one year ago. We wanted to follow the grandchildren. It's nice, but we are both missing New York. It is hard to get use to the ways here. A cultural shock.

We are going to give it another year and then maybe we will go back to our own roots. The thing is, that Long Island is so expensive now, so we are betwen a rock and a hard place.

My wife and I lived on LI in the 60's and again in the 70's.

There are pluses and minuses compared to Raleigh. Taxes there are a giant minus.

We've lived here 18 years and plan to stay.

A thought. My wife and daughter were thinking about NY again since we also lived in Manhattan for 10 years.

A trip back to LI a few years ago seeing the rudeness and poor service convinced them that Raleigh was a much better place.

Think it over prayerfully and do what seems best.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:45 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie62 View Post

So that means you did NO research before moving here? Did you expect it to be the SAME as Long Island?

Old 09-18-2007, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 9,906 times
Default How is Raleigh for Single 30's?

With no children?

Old 09-22-2007, 08:30 PM

232 posts, read 728,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Brenda,
Some facts:
1. First of all, Chapel Hill is not 24,000 people; it's 50,000
2. "nothing to do" Raleigh has a performing arts center that has been featured in the NY Times as an example of what mid sized cities should have.
3. Raleigh has State Museums of Art, History and Natural Sciences. Did you even bother to see the Monet in Normandy exhibit? It only went to 3 cities in the entire country.
4. Raleigh has one of the largest and most successful Amphiteaters in the Southeast US (Walnut Creek).
5. Raleigh is home to Carolina Ballet, NC Symphony, the Opera Company of NC and the North Carolina Theater.
6. Glenwood South has been featured in the travel section of the NY Times. On weekends, thousands of people are enjoying lounges, dance clubs, martini bars, jazz/live music performances, dinner, etc. downtown.
7. Raleigh and the Triangle have 3 choices for ACC sports, the Carolina Hurricanes NHL Hockey and 2 choices for minor league baseball.
8. Raleigh has golf courses galore, a well developed Parks and Recreation department: including a model greenway system; a network of public pools and tennis courts and one of the largest youth soccer programs in the nation.
9. Raleigh has First Fridays EVERY MONTH for art walks in downtown galleries.
10. Raleigh has First Night for New Year's Eve, Artsplosure and World Beer festivals in the Spring, Raleigh Wide Open in the Summer, The State Fair in the Fall and a variety of ethnic festivals throughout the year. (I am sure there are many others. These are top of my head only)
11. Raleigh has Candlelight tours of historic Oakwood, open houses at the governor's mansion, a Christmas Parade and one of the most charming long running adaptations of A Christmas Carol during the holiday season.
12. You can find "shows" for about anything your heart desires at the RBC Center, the State Fairgrounds, the Performing Arts Center...you can even find rodeo at the Hunt Horse Complex if that's what you want.
13. You can go boating or water ski on Falls Lake or Jordan Lake.
14. You can hike or camp or mountain bike through more than 5000 acres of Umstead State Park without leaving Wake County.
15. You can peruse the nationally acclaimed, 8 Acre, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State.
16. Speaking of NC State, you can take night classes at the Craft Center at NC State including pottery, photography, woodworking, fiber arts, jewelry, glass, metals, etc.

Yeah....I guess you are right, there is nothing to do. You better leave before you are bored to death.

THANKS FOR POSTING THIS!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary