Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:48 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times

Advertisements

I'm not the one complaining! I have every right to post my opinion on this topic as anyone else does! In fact, I said I'm enjoying these threads now. Lots of panties in lots of wads!

Old 02-02-2010, 07:01 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbis View Post
This is a joke. Roads were fine today.....and to the person who says its ok, they can just make up the time later in the year....Will that be during a scheduled week off? Maybe some people have scheduled a trip and this will be a stupid conflict once again. There is no acceptable reason for schools to closed tomorrow. This is amateur hour.
While I agree that the closings are silly, I also agree there's not much use in whining about it. If there's a conflict with scheduled weeks off, then pull your kids out of school on those make-up days and be done with it. Not a big deal.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:13 PM

494 posts, read 1,388,811 times
I just give up.If you can't beat em,join em,and if you can't get with that,do like me and get the heck out of dodge!

Old 02-02-2010, 07:22 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
I just give up.If you can't beat em,join em,and if you can't get with that,do like me and get the heck out of dodge!
Now that deserves some rep points!

Old 02-02-2010, 07:23 PM

151 posts, read 404,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPPWUS View Post
3 days of school missed for a 3-5 inch snowfall that happened FRIDAY NIGHT is ridiculous!!! I've said this before but what happens if we ever get a "real" snowstorm...10 plus inches? There seems to be panic beyond reason over icing. The aftermath of a 10+ inch snowstorm, barring unusually warm weather or rain immediately following, would melt for days; creating potential icing each one of those evenings and mornings. Based on the current criteria for closing schools based on "icing", I suppose our schools would be closed for weeks in that case right?

Three years ago up north, I measured 28 inches of snow in my driveway after a "record breaker" type storm. It snowed on a Saturday night into Sunday. The schools were closed ONE day. There was ice on the roads for a month in spots. You think I or people up there no how to drive on ice any better than they do here? Of course not...who knows how to drive on ice? This is ultra panic and overeaction like I've never seen.

The "Blizzard of 1978" in New England that brought hurricane like conditions to the coast with flooding and beach erosion combined with so much snow during a rush hour commute that thousands of cars were simply abandoned on major highways and power was out for days...people die during the storm. I was young then and missed FOUR days of school.

You are telling me that this 3-5 inch storm that happened four days ago on a weekend has resulted in 3 days of school closings...come on!!!
Just wanted to say -- 100000000000000000000000000000000000000% agree

Old 02-02-2010, 07:42 PM

17 posts, read 59,475 times
Complaining on here will get you no where. For anyone saying what if the triangle got 10 inches, we got 24 in 2000, and somehow managed to survive. Of course it shut us down for a week or so, but the reason it doesn't shut the states up north down is because they have the resources and the justification (annual snowfall like 5x as much) for the expense.

Yes it's annoying when schools are closed an extra day longer than you want, but if they had school and a bus carrying 60 kids crashed killing any or most you'd be on here complaining in the opposite way. Just because YOUR area doesn't have ice doesn't mean some don't. The decision isn't about you it's about the area as a whole. Learn to deal with it because this is how NC is, and no matter how much or who you complain too, short of a major climate shift, the DOT won't be getting more salt or trucks. The cost simply isn't justified here, as we average maybe 1 (if that) heavy snow a year.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:48 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,534,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPPWUS View Post

Three years ago up north, I measured 28 inches of snow in my driveway after a "record breaker" type storm. It snowed on a Saturday night into Sunday. The schools were closed ONE day. There was ice on the roads for a month in spots. You think I or people up there no how to drive on ice any better than they do here? Of course not...who knows how to drive on ice? This is ultra panic and overeaction like I've never seen.
Here we go again.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb View Post
I wonder how families without a stay-at-home parent are coping as businesses have not been closed Mon-Wed.
I know the schools take that into consideration but should they make decisions based on parents jobs or the studetns education?

Old 02-02-2010, 07:55 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pack2602 View Post
Complaining on here will get you no where. For anyone saying what if the triangle got 10 inches, we got 24 in 2000, and somehow managed to survive. Of course it shut us down for a week or so, but the reason it doesn't shut the states up north down is because they have the resources and the justification (annual snowfall like 5x as much) for the expense.

Yes it's annoying when schools are closed an extra day longer than you want, but if they had school and a bus carrying 60 kids crashed killing any or most you'd be on here complaining in the opposite way. Just because YOUR area doesn't have ice doesn't mean some don't. The decision isn't about you it's about the area as a whole. Learn to deal with it because this is how NC is, and no matter how much or who you complain too, short of a major climate shift, the DOT won't be getting more salt or trucks. The cost simply isn't justified here, as we average maybe 1 (if that) heavy snow a year.
Then why did the DOT spend a huge amont of money on Brine trucks? A system that works only when material is also put on top of the snow and ice that falls.?? Sorry there is incompetence within the DOT on a massive basis. Good ole boy network. Its a shame, but I will say it again here and in other places, since the wheels are now turning and people in certain places have been put on notice. It does NOT cost huge amounts of money to have sand and salt in reserve. In addition it is foolish to be spending two and three days before a storm spreading a weak mixture of water and salt on dry roads. Might as well throw that money down the toilet.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:05 PM

I will say that most roads are fine. My neighborhood is by far not good at all. It is a journey just getting out of the 'hood. A lot of this post have got to come from people that have not been to some of the far out roads. There are still places that need alot of attention, mainly b/c there have been cars driven on them and clearing the snow on some of the secondary and tertiary roads but there are spots where the trees don't allow the sun to hit that are still very scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary