Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,551 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I am an empty nester...single Mom, daughter in college. I currently live in the Washington, DC area, but want to build a home, my last one, my dream home in a community where I can afford to build my dream and live life at a slower pace than here. I am self-employed, and work from home, so employment is not a concern, as my business is internet/travel based.

What I would like to know (and I have visited Raleigh before many years ago), is how is racial diversity there? From my research, I found that for African Americans, Raleigh offers a high quality of life.

I have no children, no partner, just me. I want to move someplace where I can semi-retire, have my family from DC/MD visit often as it's not too long of a drive.

I really don't like the winter. Florida is a little too hot and humid for me in the summer, and family have to get on a plane to visit. Whereas in NC, they can hop in a car and be there in a few hours.

So that is it. I'd like to be able to shop conveniently...eat organic food...quality restaurants...theater...movies...relatively close access to the airport and the beach...like under 2 hours.

Any comments? Would an African American female feel welcomed in this community? I make friends easily and have traveled the world....just looking for a small town feel with an international cultural appeal.

Thanks,

Cyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 05:12 AM

932 posts, read 3,097,981 times
You'll fit right in Raleigh, Durham, or Chapel Hill. There are lots of great neighborhoods that offer what you're looking for.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:14 AM

321 posts, read 880,484 times
Regarding the weather here, it can be just as hot and humid as Florida (at least in Florida, you have the breezes off the ocean to make things more bearable!)... Wrightsville Beach is almost exactly two hours down I-40.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:38 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Come on down!

Old 02-12-2010, 09:11 AM

60 posts, read 129,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalnc View Post
Regarding the weather here, it can be just as hot and humid as Florida....
The good news though is that NC's heat and humidity only lasts a few months where in FL it is at least half the year. But this is a good warning for those who think NC is free from unbearable heat and humidity. It does happen here.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:16 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Horrendous, unbearable humidity happens here every year for several months. I don't like it at all. But most people seem to adjust, and some even like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delsoldefl View Post
The good news though is that NC's heat and humidity only lasts a few months where in FL it is at least half the year. But this is a good warning for those who think NC is free from unbearable heat and humidity. It does happen here.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:25 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
I think you'd like it here. Now is a great time to build as our area was hit hard like other areas although not as bad. You'll certainly have some bargaining power.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:57 PM

58 posts, read 163,011 times
You would be in good company.

Do share more about your business. I would love to learn more as I too am in an internet based business.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:20 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalnc View Post
Regarding the weather here, it can be just as hot and humid as Florida (at least in Florida, you have the breezes off the ocean to make things more bearable!)... Wrightsville Beach is almost exactly two hours down I-40.
After having lived in Florida and Raleigh for the last 8 years, I can assure you that Florida is much more humid than Raleigh. Raleigh has it's humid days, but it's nothing in comparison to the months and months of constant heat and humidity one experiences in most parts of Florida.
In South Florida, one can go more than a month with hardly a temperature under 80 degrees, even at night! I don't mind the humidity so much and actually find it good for my lungs.
BTW, if you are off the water in Florida, the breeze is none existent.
MiamiBlue, do you want to chime in here on this one?

Old 02-13-2010, 10:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
To answer your question, a single African-American woman would do fine in the Triangle. Durham in particular has a high number of successful African-Americans and a long history with that community but the whole Triangle is fine. Don't limit your sights to just Raleigh proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary