Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,166 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the Durham area however i have a teenage child and I just want to make sure that i find a place in a decent area. How is the crime? How is the job market. Any feedback is acceptable thank you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 10:50 PM

76 posts, read 195,018 times
Hello Poet855 what exactly would you be looking for in a city, school, neighborhood. Durham is a great city, with great culture. It is the most racially, socially, ethnically diverse city in the Triangle, but it has it "rough" parts (as does every "real" city). To help you better locate a part of Durham what are you looking for. In addition, I do not recommend moving here or anywhere for that matter not having employment lined up, this area is in a recession as well. Good Luck

Old 01-23-2010, 10:56 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
The job market in NC is the worst it's been in 30 years. I'm curious as to why you are moving to Durham specifically, if you don't know much about the city nor are coming here for a job? It would be very unwise to move here thinking you will "just find something"; you should line up employment before moving, as many other threads will validate.

Durham has some very nice areas and some scary areas. The Southeast-Central quadrant is the high-crime area, though there are some other places to avoid, as in any city. There are also some very nice places, though--Old North Durham, Trinity Park, Old West Durham, and newer more cookie-cutter construction in the SW area.

None of this should matter until you get a job lined up first, however.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:04 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
as others have mentioned, Durham is a patchwork of good and bad.

Mike

Old 01-25-2010, 08:05 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
as others have mentioned, Durham is a patchwork of good and bad.

Mike
The patchwork in Durham is not so much good and bad as it is the haves and have nots, reflecting the socioeconomic diversity of the city. Most of the "bad" you refer to, and which the media likes to dwell on, is fairly contained in the east-central part of the city (though that in and of itself is a gross generalization).

I have been fortunate to live in some tremendous places (Greensboro, Raleigh, Boone, Durham, Flagstaff, Fort Collins, etc...) and Durham stands out among them all as my favorite. It's not for everyone, and that's precisely why I like it as much as I do!

Old 01-25-2010, 12:16 PM

491 posts, read 1,261,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet855 View Post
I am relocating to the Durham area however i have a teenage child and I just want to make sure that i find a place in a decent area. How is the crime? How is the job market. Any feedback is acceptable thank you..
You have already decided to relocate to Durham and you have not researched it? You haven't looked at whether you can get a job? You haven't looked at whether the area is even safe to live? Have you visited it yet?

No offense, but NC is really hurting right now. You really need to take a hard look at the state before packing it up and moving.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:21 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
The job market is baaaaaaaaaad. Worse than before. Worse than ever.

Even if you get a job in Durham, you can still live in Raleigh, Cary, or wherever.

I've worked in Durham before (on contract). I sure didn't need to move there.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:24 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
The patchwork in Durham is not so much good and bad as it is the haves and have nots, reflecting the socioeconomic diversity of the city. Most of the "bad" you refer to, and which the media likes to dwell on, is fairly contained in the east-central part of the city (though that in and of itself is a gross generalization).
my opinion does not stem so much from the media as it does my personal experiences from living in Durham. call it 'good/bad', 'rich/poor', or whatever other label is politically correct these days. all i know is that there are some areas of Durham i love and some areas where i roll up the windows and lock the doors.

Mike

Old 01-26-2010, 12:33 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
my opinion does not stem so much from the media as it does my personal experiences from living in Durham. call it 'good/bad', 'rich/poor', or whatever other label is politically correct these days. all i know is that there are some areas of Durham i love and some areas where i roll up the windows and lock the doors.

Mike
What larger city or town does not have that?

Old 02-13-2010, 01:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,166 times
Thank you all for this information it has been very informative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary