Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:16 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times

Advertisements

Garner has some nice parts. It is not a good idea to live west of work when you have a choice because you are always fighting the sun on your drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 05:24 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Waiting for the inevitable "Is Shiner Bock available in Raleigh?" question.

I've spent a fair amount of time in Dallas, Houston and Austin. Definitely think Austin when you think of the Triangle area. Differences sure, but much closer than the others.

Frank

Old 02-24-2010, 05:32 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Waiting for the inevitable "Is Shiner Bock available in Raleigh?" question.

I've spent a fair amount of time in Dallas, Houston and Austin. Definitely think Austin when you think of the Triangle area. Differences sure, but much closer than the others.

Frank
In size, yes, and Chapel Hill does have that college vibe as well, but the Triangle is no Austin.

Last edited by NewUser; 02-24-2010 at 06:25 AM..

Old 02-24-2010, 06:16 AM

932 posts, read 3,096,995 times
I live in Garner and love it. We moved here 4 years ago. I grew up in Cary, lived in Raleigh, an Knightdale and chose Garner. In regards to strelnikov's post, I'm not sure what were missing aside from a major mall. We have sopping, restaurants, movie theaters, good schools, a great parks and rec department. The reason why we picked Garner is because it has the best small town vibe (concerts on main street, 4th of july party, run into mayor at coffee shop, etc.) with the convenience of being next to Raleigh.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:39 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
Sorry, I don't drink Shiner. If I were to drink a beer, which is rare, it would be Coors light or Corona with lime. When I drink, it is a glass of wine or if I can get it a Margarita-y'all don't have Taco Cabana do you?

I've done Austin and now you are scaring me. Which Austin vibe is there? The beautiful green spend time outdoors in nature vibe or the drunk kids on 6th Street, Leslie running for mayor and coming in 2nd, and drunk naked hippies at Hippy Hollow vibe?

I'm wondering about how far timewise Garner is from our gym. It's the Lifetime in Cary. I can't tell by mileage because in SA our gym is no more than 4-5 miles away but on a good day it takes 15 minutes and in traffic (starts about 3:30 due to the schools) it can take 45 min to an hour. I'm hoping traffic won't be as quite as congested there especially when it's not even 5 yet.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
Which Austin vibe is there? The beautiful green spend time outdoors in nature vibe or the drunk kids on 6th Street, Leslie running for mayor and coming in 2nd, and drunk naked hippies at Hippy Hollow vibe?
Yes You are going to find each of those elements somewhere in the Triangle, but to a lesser degree. Afterall, Austin residents always say "Keep Austin Wierd". Austin and Raleigh are both state capitals. Both areas have been named to "Best Places to Live" lists. Both are home to large technology centers and universities. Austin boasts that it is the "Live music capital of the world". While I don't agree with that, it's certainly head and shoulders above the Triangle.

Quote:
I'm wondering about how far timewise Garner is from our gym. It's the Lifetime in Cary. I can't tell by mileage because in SA our gym is no more than 4-5 miles away but on a good day it takes 15 minutes and in traffic (starts about 3:30 due to the schools) it can take 45 min to an hour. I'm hoping traffic won't be as quite as congested there especially when it's not even 5 yet.
It would take you at least 15 minutes to get from west Garner all the way over to Lifetime Fitness in Regency Park in Cary. I can get from that gym to my house, during evening rush hour, in 15 minutes. I live at the corner of Lake Wheeler Rd and Ten Ten.. . . .which is southwest of Garner.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:29 AM

23 posts, read 56,246 times
I moved to Cary from NY and like it a lot. I agree with Rumble, Cary has gotten a bad reputation in some ways. But, the people here are really nice and family oriented. It is a clean, pretty place with great parks and schools. There are many places to dine and shop (although most shops are chain stores). There are many relocated Yankees like me, but most of the people who come here are naturally drawn to the friendly southern vibe and, as such, are also friendly and helpful. All in all, I like it here in the Cary/Morrisville area and would certainly recommend it.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:49 AM

7 posts, read 15,039 times
Default Holly Springs is nice, but consider Fuquay

Hi ddeel - if you lived in Garner (depending on what part) you wouldn't be more than 15 mins or so away from Lifetime with low traffic. Problem is that 40, 440, 64, and 1 are all a mess during rush hour times, especially when there's construction.

You said, "We are attracted to Holly Springs but looking at pictures online doesn't always tell the true story. As I said I live in a huge city now but I lived 8 years in a smaller, but not too small, city and I miss that lifestyle". If you want more of a small town feel, Holly Springs would provide that to some degree. It's a really nice smaller area, but the local government is pretty focused on growth and expansion right now.

Another option that's a little further south is Fuquay-Varina. My brother has lived there for about 7 years, and I have other friends down there as well. They all bought down in Fuquay because you can get a lot more house for the money, and it's really not that far removed from everything. Fuquay still has all the Wal-marts and Home Depots and fast food you'll need, and it definitely has a more small town feel than Cary, Apex, or even Holly Springs. If your husband is going to work in Garner, he would just have to hop on 401 for a pretty short commute (my brother takes that all the way to North Raleigh each day and he says it's not a bad commute at all). Also, it would take you about 15-20 minutes on back roads to get to Lifetime.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:36 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
Hmmm...after reading everying and taking stock in myself I'm wondering if perhaps we might be very happy in Cary, Apex, or Holly Springs. Although Garner is in the running too. It sounds as if I will be able to find nice, family oriented, friendly people in alot of Raleigh areas. Fortunately, the areas that won't work logistically are the ones we really wouldn't fit into anyway--what with being conservatives and all. Thanks so much for the info. I am truly reassured that there are friendly helpful people there since we expect to live there a long long time.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Hmmm...after reading everying and taking stock in myself I'm wondering if perhaps we might be very happy in Cary, Apex, or Holly Springs.
As I said in my previous post, you don't need to live within the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary