Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 3,652 times

Advertisements

Hi All

Can someone let me know how the job market is for IT/Engineer roles in RTP? My husband and I are thinking of moving to that area, but wanted an idea as to how the job market is first. Is the best idea to connect with a recruiter?

My job would relocate me there so that is not an issue.

Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 10:11 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Layoffs all over the place. Search the forum and you'll find several other recent threads about the grim IT situation herre at the moment. IBM just announced more layoffs this week--so for what jobs there are, there is very high competition.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:30 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsnowbird View Post
Hi All

Can someone let me know how the job market is for IT/Engineer roles in RTP? My husband and I are thinking of moving to that area, but wanted an idea as to how the job market is first. Is the best idea to connect with a recruiter?

My job would relocate me there so that is not an issue.

Thanks much.
IT/Engineer is a bit general for a description. Can you be more specific?

Old 03-05-2010, 10:38 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
The tech sector has been hard hit.

Call local recruiters and see if your husband's specific IT skills are in demand.

Or, of course, you'll easily find information using Indeed.com.

But the word here in the trenches is: The IT sector has been hard hit.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:32 AM

229 posts, read 704,109 times
Let us know what skillset you have and what roles you'd want to fill. Even though companies are laying off, they are also hiring. Cisco has a number of openings in rtp as far as i'm aware.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,652 times
Thanks, all! Appreciate the feedback. He skillset is Embedded Systems engineering.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:38 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsnowbird View Post
Thanks, all! Appreciate the feedback. He skillset is Embedded Systems engineering.
That's what I do. I've always considered embedded work different than IT. . . .but anyway.

You may not want to use me as an example. . . .

I was employed here for a "major telecom company" until Oct 2008. I was laid off and it took me an entire year (51 weeks) to get another job. The new job is a 6-month contract, paying 30% less than my old job, and offering no benefits. My contract is up on April 1st. I've been looking for a new job since November and have not found anything.

There are a few companies hiring embedded people, but you need the exact skills that they are looking for as there are so many engineers out of work here.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:48 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
I think NewUser is an EXCELLENT example of the challenges faced by tech workers here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
That's what I do. I've always considered embedded work different than IT. . . .but anyway.

You may not want to use me as an example. . . .

I was employed here for a "major telecom company" until Oct 2008. I was laid off and it took me an entire year (51 weeks) to get another job. The new job is a 6-month contract, paying 30% less than my old job, and offering no benefits. My contract is up on April 1st. I've been looking for a new job since November and have not found anything.

There are a few companies hiring embedded people, but you need the exact skills that they are looking for as there are so many engineers out of work here.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:27 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,891 times
Honestly we do not see a lot of embedded work, especially with Sony Ericsson and Ericsson moving out of the area/closing. We do have some companies that use that background, but not a great deal.

I do IT Staffing here locally if anybody wants to send me their resume for open position that we have, feel free to DM me, I would love to see if I help.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:40 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,934 times
Ericsson is opening up other functions/departments again in RTP....I'm heading on out to Raleigh soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary