Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 03:55 PM

9 posts, read 24,104 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. My family and I are relocating to the Raleigh area from the northeast and need some suggestions on areas to look at. We have been to the area twice now looking at homes and we have focused on Apex and Holly Springs so far.

To be honest, we are getting a bit frustrated and we are not sure we can find what we are looking for. We are looking for fairly new construction (less than 10 years), on a lot larger than 1/3 acre in a family friendly subdivision. Price range is up to 450k.

We have looked at approximately 25 homes across both towns and we just can't seem to find it all. Some homes are in more established neighborhoods (older parts of Sunset Ridge, for example) and are on decent lots, but the homes need upgrading. Some homes are new, but the lots are horrible (steep hills, backyards that are not private, backing up to commercial land, etc).

Sorry for the long post, but is there any areas in Apex or Holly Springs that fits this criteria? I will be working out of the house for now, but eventually I would like to be convenient to RTP. Are there other towns that we should be considering? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 04:21 PM

997 posts, read 4,649,639 times
To be convenient to RTP, Cary and North Raleigh are good possibilities. Yes, some resales do need updating but location is key. For Holly Springs, Sunset Ridge is a very nice neighborhood and desirable even though it is not new. Some of the homes are new construction but in my opinion I prefer the resales.

This is just my family's situation but we chose a resale that needed some updating. We loved the neighborhood, it was convenient to what we needed and schools were nearby so we thought is was worth the sacrifice and went with the older home. We are slowly updating it. It is taking time but this is the place for us and where we want to be.

If you can find new construction with a nice lot and that is what you want then go for it. If it comes down to new construction with a not so good lot as opposed to a resale with a great yard, think long term and resale value.

This is just my opinion. In the end, you have to go with the house that makes you happy and you feel comfortable in.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:01 PM

129 posts, read 566,547 times
There are a few subdivisions that I can think of off the top of my head that are right at 1/3 acre:
Abbington--absolutely wonderful location, off Hwy 64, all new shopping centers within .5 mile.
Park at West Lake--all new homes and many subdivisions going up. Close to many schools.

For the subdivisions that are over 1/3 acre I would suggest going a little futher out on Ten-Ten and looking at:
Royal Senter Ridge--most are close to an acre
Whitehart--.6+. These are both within in 10 years as well.
Heatherstone-- There is a gorgeous home listed right now with an additional 2 car garage plus workshop. Also a 3rd floor walk up attic. .92 acre
(hope my husband doesn't find out about this , just what he is wanting)

If you are working with an agent they should be able to pull these up and show you the location of all of these.

Hope this helps.
Linda

Old 06-02-2007, 07:20 PM

Thank you for your responses so far.

I have looked at many homes in my price range in Abbington, Sunset Ridge, Wescott, Park at West Lake, Haddon Hall, etc. I have liked some of the newer homes but usually the problem is the lot for one reason or another. For example, proximity to the proposed Apex Peakway was an issue for two homes at Haddon Hall. I liked two homes at Wescott, but in both cases the lots were steep. I liked two homes at Abbington, but both were backed up to commercial property, etc.

At this point since I have looked at many homes and nothing seems to fit, I was wondering if there are other towns within say 40 minutes of RTP that I should be considering as well.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:27 PM

546 posts, read 2,419,494 times
Have you looked in N Raleigh at all? Seems like there would be plenty of options there. Clayton is farther out but has lots to offer as far as large lots and great neighborhoods for less $$. It is growing too. Just my suggestions!

Old 06-02-2007, 07:40 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,282,481 times
You should have NO problem finding exactly what you want with the $450,000 you are looking to spend.

If you are working with an agent and they haven't found it yet...you need to communicate EXACTLY what you want. Sit down with your agent in front of the computer. Its out there.

If you are trying to do it without an agent...that could be your problem. RUN to the nearest Real Estate company and find yourself someone who will help you!

Vicki

Old 06-02-2007, 07:46 PM

We have been working with an agent who has been very helpful, but we just have not found anything yet. Apex and Holly Springs have been the areas that we have focused on, but I'm concerned that there are areas that we are not considering that we should.

Nclover suggested Clayton. But from the looks of it, the town is south of Raleigh and does not seem very convenient RTP. When I-540 is extended south, will that help?

Old 06-02-2007, 07:51 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,046,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclover View Post
Have you looked in N Raleigh at all? Seems like there would be plenty of options there. Clayton is farther out but has lots to offer as far as large lots and great neighborhoods for less $$. It is growing too. Just my suggestions!
Of course, I am partial, but I would say to check out wake forest. You can definitely get a custom home on a larger lot for 450k My husband commutes to the park, back roads, from our house on the west side of town and it is 30 minutes. Now, from the east side of town you have to use capital blvd to 540, which can be congested. We specifically chose this side of town for a better commute for him. I like wake forest because it has all of the "things" I need but also has a small town feel.

We used to live in apex (close to sunset ridge) and the commute just wasn't great to the park, which is the reason why we moved.

Anyhow, I would suggest wake forest.

Leigh

Old 06-02-2007, 08:18 PM

The first town that I looked at was Wake Forest. I drove up Capital (thats rt 1, right?) and drove into Heritage. I looked at a number of open houses and decided that it was not for me. Then I drove through the center of town and ended up looking at a few homes north of town. I would definitely reconsider this area. When you say the western part of town, do you mean west of rt 1? Thank you for your help.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:28 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,679,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthers24 View Post
The first town that I looked at was Wake Forest. I drove up Capital (thats rt 1, right?) and drove into Heritage. I looked at a number of open houses and decided that it was not for me. Then I drove through the center of town and ended up looking at a few homes north of town. I would definitely reconsider this area. When you say the western part of town, do you mean west of rt 1? Thank you for your help.
Why did the number of open houses in Heritage bother you?

There is some turn over there....mostly because the folks that live there are often at the whim of large corporations that move then again after a few years.

My daughter is losing two friends that live there this summer due to their parents being transfered. Both families are very sad to be leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary