Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 10:03 AM

229 posts, read 703,898 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning on buying a house in the Seagroves Farm development, but we are concerned about any possible contamination or long term effects from the chemical plant fire that occurred a few years ago. I've seen some soil and water quality reports published by the state, but nothing conclusive. Does anyone have any experience with the fire and any effects it may have had? Has it been affecting resale at all? Are there any local environmental consulting firms that could be hired to analyze the soil in the lot we're looking at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 10:40 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
That fire had one lasting effect.....giving humble little Apex a spot on national and in fact; global news. To...pardon the cliche "put it on the map". It was quite an event; despite living on the far west side of town that that time (EQ fire was on the extreme eastern edge of Apex)...we could see flames from our bedroom window and the whole night sky to the east was orange; quite impressive. There were several people who got sick from the fumes of the burning chemicals who were in the immediate vicinity when the explosion occurred; but other than that we lived in Apex for nearly a year after that event and as far as I know there were never any long term health issues with people who lived nearby.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:23 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
They dispose of chemicals all the time by burning. Of course they do it in a controlled environment and that is why they evacuated people during the actual incident, but I can;t see how there will be effects after the fact.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:02 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
All I can say is that I haven't seen any Apex newborns with third arms... yet.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:42 AM

229 posts, read 703,898 times
The problem is that when you burn a lot of those chemicals, they can form even nastier stuff, especially when combined with other chemicals like they were. As far as I know when chemicals are burned for destruction, the exhaust is scrubbed for particulate matter that would otherwise end up being a hazardous byproduct. Obviously in this case none of that was captured.

As far as third arms and cancer, it takes a long time for trends like this to show up. Maybe after families have lived nearby for 20 years we'd start to see something suspicious, but who knows. It's too early to make any assumptions that it's safe, which is why I was hoping someone may have seen some hard evidence stating the area was clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary