Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 12:23 PM

14 posts, read 27,123 times

Advertisements

Our son is turning 21 next month on a Sunday. We plan to get a hotel room for Saturday night so he & his friend can head out right @ midnight and celebrate until the bars/clubs close then walk back to their room. They go to college out of state so none of us know the popular spots here. Are they near Moore Square? Glenwood South? They like all kinds of music but are more likely to enjoy a craft beer on the roof of Raleigh Times than a dance club blasting metal rock. His favorite restaurants are Buku & The Pit. Would appreciate suggestions for a walkable late night out. It is also Artsplosure weekend but I believe those events end at 10 pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 01:43 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,429,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaneMom View Post
Our son is turning 21 next month on a Sunday. We plan to get a hotel room for Saturday night so he & his friend can head out right @ midnight and celebrate until the bars/clubs close then walk back to their room. They go to college out of state so none of us know the popular spots here. Are they near Moore Square? Glenwood South? They like all kinds of music but are more likely to enjoy a craft beer on the roof of Raleigh Times than a dance club blasting metal rock. His favorite restaurants are Buku & The Pit. Would appreciate suggestions for a walkable late night out. It is also Artsplosure weekend but I believe those events end at 10 pm.
I'd say Moore Square and the downtown area is more the vibe you're going for if he doesn't like the dance club scene which is more of what South Glenwood is. Might I suggest he toast his 21st birthday in style at a place like Fox which is a liquor bar done up in the old speakeasy style. It's immediately downstairs from Chuck's Burgers and Beasley's Chicken + Honey, both places where he could get a good craft beer (and food). Beasley's also has some great cocktails in their own right. I'm a confirmed fan of their Benton's Old Fashioned done with bacon-washed bourbon and maple syrup.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:03 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Both Moore Square/Fayetteville St and Glenwood South both have good options.. There is the Pour House, that always has live music, and might be worth checking out. Also, London Bridge, The Architect, Tir Na Nog, Raleigh Times, The Big Easy, Rum Runners (a piano bar that is always fun) are all popular places within a 5 minute walk from Moore Square. My only complaint about the DT bars is that some of them have a line to get in, which I grew out of at 22. Closer to Glenwood South on Morgan Street is Flying Saucer, which has an amazing beer selection if they're into that, and is across the street from the Ugly Monkey, which can be fun and interesting, depending on the night. As you walk north on Glenwood, places that might be worth checking out are Napper Tandy's, which usually has a band weekend nights, albeit a cover band, Solas (a nightclub, but one of the rare nightclubs that I find tolerable), The Hibernian (awesome Irish Pub style, just reopened) Lucky B's around the corner (hit and miss), Oryx (a nightclub that lets 18+ in), Cornerstone (great patio, Really Good DJ's, great crowd), Brooklyn Heights (similar to Cornerstone and next door, but more hipster and relaxed.) Across the street from Cornerstone/Brooklyn Heights is the View; they now have good barbeque and are more of a sports type bar, but quieter later, it seems. As you move north to Glenwood and Peace, Black Flower is more of a punk oriented bar, and the crowd can be...interesting...to say the least (but I still enjoy popping in for a beer there.) Mojo's is next door and serves food late, which can be nice as well.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:17 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
I'd say Moore Square and the downtown area is more the vibe you're going for if he doesn't like the dance club scene which is more of what South Glenwood is. Might I suggest he toast his 21st birthday in style at a place like Fox which is a liquor bar done up in the old speakeasy style. It's immediately downstairs from Chuck's Burgers and Beasley's Chicken + Honey, both places where he could get a good craft beer (and food). Beasley's also has some great cocktails in their own right. I'm a confirmed fan of their Benton's Old Fashioned done with bacon-washed bourbon and maple syrup.
This is the route I'd take.

Of course, for my son's 21st, he didn't wanna go out with friends (I was like that for my 21st, though I did go out quite a bit drinking with friends other times after that (and before it when I was underage ).

We took him to the lounge over at The Umstead and let him drink expensive cocktails in business attire. He got a huge kick out of that. LOL.

(He didn't get carded. Said if he'd known how easy it was to buy a drink there he'd have tried it before he was 21).

Old 04-16-2014, 03:45 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,381,252 times
I hate to burst your/his bubble (assuming I read your post right) but if your son's birthday is Sunday, most bars will not serve him after midnight 'Saturday' night, nor will clubs who are 21+ only let him enter. I saw it happen quite a bit when my friends were turning 21 and though it sucks, we encountered it over and over again. Most bartenders and bouncers would admit that technically it was that person's 21st birthday and they were technically of age, but they didn't feel that they could serve or let them enter. When pressed, many would concede to asking their manager and we were given the same answer from management.

I could be wrong that and it might not be universal, but that's what I've experienced. Maybe it's worth a few calls to bars/clubs they're interested in going to? That way they wouldn't be stuck with nothing to do.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:34 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,277,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
I hate to burst your/his bubble (assuming I read your post right) but if your son's birthday is Sunday, most bars will not serve him after midnight 'Saturday' night, nor will clubs who are 21+ only let him enter. I saw it happen quite a bit when my friends were turning 21 and though it sucks, we encountered it over and over again. Most bartenders and bouncers would admit that technically it was that person's 21st birthday and they were technically of age, but they didn't feel that they could serve or let them enter. When pressed, many would concede to asking their manager and we were given the same answer from management.

I could be wrong that and it might not be universal, but that's what I've experienced. Maybe it's worth a few calls to bars/clubs they're interested in going to? That way they wouldn't be stuck with nothing to do.
I was wondering the same myself. I've seen it happen a few times, but a long time has passed since my more "social" days. I thought maybe it has changed. I agree it would be worth a few phone calls.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:32 AM

14 posts, read 27,123 times
Wow thanks STAndroid-never would have known that. Excellent suggestions from everyone. I may need to try Fox Liquor bar myself after seeing their cocktail menu online.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:

I didn't even read that part. I know when I worked as a bouncer in MN that it was the law (to prevent power hour binge drinking deaths) but I don't know if it was state or Municipal at the time. Worth calling ahead on for sure.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:39 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
most bars will not serve him after midnight 'Saturday' night,
He may not be able to get in or drink before midnight, but he should be good to go from 12-2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Law
North Carolina alcohol sales: No sales between 2 a.m. and 7 a.m. Monday through Saturday or between 2 a.m. and noon on Sunday.
Make sure he knows the law, maybe even keeps a copy of it in his back pocket. If it's that important (which I could understand), then be armed with correct info. He should not have any trouble finding a place to have a drink or three between 12-2AM on Sunday (Saturday night).

Old 04-17-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
He may not be able to get in or drink before midnight, but he should be good to go from 12-2.

Make sure he knows the law, maybe even keeps a copy of it in his back pocket. If it's that important (which I could understand), then be armed with correct info. He should not have any trouble finding a place to have a drink or three between 12-2AM on Sunday (Saturday night).
Yeah...About that..."we reserve the right to refuse service..." and a manager/bouncer that would rather have a ticked off or lost customer than an ALE violation. I agree that he should be fine, but do yourselves a favor and call ahead to a couple of places to confirm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary