Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 02:47 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,992 times

Advertisements

I went from fair to worse last year with a new lawn service. I'm not that picky, but I do expect leaves to be blown from behind deck furniture/planters and corners by the house and gates, my entire yard to be done without a section being forgotten each time, for them to close my padlocked gates (because of the dog but also just because they should), trim the shrubs when they need it, and clean up minor yard debris like twigs and stuff.

After my current lawn service leaves, I have to sweep the dirt they have blown from container plants onto the porch, go out and clean out leaves in the yard and behind deck furniture, and always close the gates. And there's always at least one section they ignore. Then I have to bag the debris they leave on the curb, since the town won't pick it up. In the fall, I had to nag to have them clean up the leaves in time for the town pick up. It shouldn't be this hard.

I also need my yard fertilized and seeded since the seeding in the fall didn't take (partly my fault, partly the lawn service). But, they JUST put pre-emergent down knowing that it had to be re-seeded. I think they screwed up my chances to re-seed this spring because of the timing of the fertilizer/pre-emergent.

I just want a reliable service who knows what they're doing and does it without having to be told obvious things. I'm in Cary, does anyone have a good, reliable lawn service they can recommend? I am desperate for grass in my back yard, so need to move quickly if it's even possible at this point. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 06:14 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
To be honest, it sounds as if you will be hard-pressed to find a lawn service that will meet your expectations and still be able to afford them.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:43 PM
jhk

108 posts, read 256,139 times
where are you located?

Old 03-14-2010, 11:34 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,344,077 times
We are in Cary and have Walfer Lawn care. I am very pleased with them. They come and go and do all the blowing and all and I never have any problem with them at all. I don't think the guys who do the work speak any English but the owner does and he is the one you communicate with.

Walfer Lawn Care
4013 Old Milburnie Rd.
Raleigh, NC 27616
919-625-3974

I should mention that I don't have experience with them seeding my lawn -- we did that ourselves last summer but they were very good about staying off of the straw and all and they didn't damage it in any way. I know they will do that extra work at an extra charge but we have chosen to just have the grass, leaves, debris, basic pruning done. One time, they did damage something on our swing set and they were very apologetic and then the owner came out that very weekend and fixed it right up.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:01 AM

@jgb, thanks!

jhk, I'm in Cary. @underpsi, not sure what "expectations" are so high...just want regular (show up when they're supposed to) mowing, edging, blowing, leaf clean up and trim shrubs when they need it. Isn't that what lawn services are for? (I pay extra to bag debris and put it at the curb if/when there is any.)

I do need someone who knows when to fertilize/herbicide and how and when to seed as well.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:37 PM

What about EPM and TruGreen? Anyone use them and have feedback about their service?

Old 03-15-2010, 05:25 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
What about EPM and TruGreen? Anyone use them and have feedback about their service?
I don't think either of them actually mow/cut/prune. They just do fertilizing / weed control. You'd have to pay a separate company to do the mowing/cutting/pruning.

My experience is a cost of about $40 per application for lawn fertilizer, or $75 per application if you include the tree/shrubs, 6 times a year. So between $240-$450 a year.

That doesn't including an annual reseeding in the fall or applying lime to the soil (those are additional expenses).

Old 03-15-2010, 06:40 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
We had EPM until I caught them placing a sign in the yard stating that they had treated the grass, and then driving off w/o actually doing any work.

We suspected that they had also been "no-shows" in the past as our grass was not improving and there was never any evidence such as grass seed, and this incident confirmed our suspicions.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:35 PM

151 posts, read 404,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCInMyMind View Post
We had EPM until I caught them placing a sign in the yard stating that they had treated the grass, and then driving off w/o actually doing any work.

We suspected that they had also been "no-shows" in the past as our grass was not improving and there was never any evidence such as grass seed, and this incident confirmed our suspicions.
Wow .. now I'm ready to cancel them. I told them I wanted to reduce the number of applications to 5/year, they confirmed it was done, but they've already showed up twice this year. Once in January, 2 days before some snowfall, and again in February. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see what fertilizer will do in the dead of winter.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:07 PM

114 posts, read 430,167 times
Ideal Landscaping!!!! Ask for Bill, excellent service.
Ideal Landscaping, Inc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary