Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:57 AM

426 posts, read 1,491,361 times

Advertisements

My little one started K today and Id like to add money to his lunch account via mylunchmoney.com Depending on the menu, I plan to alternate between packing a lunchbox and him buying lunch.

Does anyone use this service? Does it work well?

Also, when I registered it asked me for his student ID number. In Wake County elementary schools is this a 7 digit number?

Thanks.

ETA - Im confused! I have the printout from Wake County confirming his school assignment. It incl. a 7 digit ID number but is different than the 7 digit number his teacher wrote me a post it this morning. I guess I will call tomorrow.

Last edited by MammaLakn; 07-07-2009 at 08:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 07:59 AM

850 posts, read 4,745,895 times
Great question, I'm wondering the same thing. My LO starts on Thursday. Does yours go all week? At our school, the Kindy kids just go 1 day this week.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:08 AM

426 posts, read 1,491,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytarheelz View Post
Great question, I'm wondering the same thing. My LO starts on Thursday. Does yours go all week? At our school, the Kindy kids just go 1 day this week.
Our school also has staggered entry this week. DS goes today and then only on Monday again

Old 07-07-2009, 08:22 AM

93 posts, read 646,471 times
I cant help with the ID number, but I have used the mylunchmoney.com site for 2 years now. Works great, my kids' money is always available, and you can even set up automatic funding when their balance is low so you won't forget. It does take a day or two to show up in their account though.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:17 AM

481 posts, read 1,087,792 times
I've been using it for a year now.. love it as well. Never had a problem!

Old 07-07-2009, 10:02 AM

450 posts, read 1,352,792 times
I used the mylunchmoney.com last year for my daughter and I liked it - very convenient. There is a $1.95 charge per transaction. I put all the money she needed for the quarter (9 weeks) in at one time to minimize the number of transactions and thus the total amount in fees.

In kindergarten, at least where my daughter was, kids weren't allowed to buy any a la carte items. I know parents who've had trouble keeping their older kids from spending down the money on extras. The service includes parental controls for that kind of thing, but they aren't activated for Wake County. I just learned today from Wake County that you can make requests like that on the school level, though, by talking to the cafeteria manager.

The id number you need is the one on the forms from Wake County - not something on the school level - my daughter had a 4-digit "lunch number" for her school, but that's not what we used for mylunchmoney.com - we used the ID from the Wake County paperwork.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:00 AM

2,012 posts, read 3,591,622 times
I would think giving your kid the cash and letting them hold it and pay for lunch would give them some experience with handling money.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:05 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,032,902 times
I'm inclined to agree with Zinner, though this isn't helping with your question at all. It gives your child the experience of not misplacing something important and making good decisions with money, plus some math lessons figuring out what they can get for the $. But I do agree the website would be better for a kindy kid as I'm sure they have enough stress and new-ness! Just an idea for next year.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:38 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,707,783 times
Default Yes, and one more ? for those who have used it...

I have used it the past year and yes agree that it is easy to use (despite the 1.95 charge)...BUT I would like more of the controls open to us instead of trying to reach the cafeteria manager. Wake Co also doesn't open up the "history" to us either - so we can't see what the kids bought.

Some schools don't allow K students or 1st graders to get the a la carte items (aka ice cream and cakes etc) but to get fruit and good healthy items for no charge -- but not all schools do that unfortunately

The userid number you need is the NCWISE ID number - you get it with your child's school assignment that came a few months ago. Kindergartners don't get that number right away, so you need to call WCPSS to get it from them. Once you have that it's easy and a good site.

My one other question - has anyone CHANGED their SCHOOL with this? How do you do it? Do you delete your child and make a new one? If so what do you do with the balance left on the account?

TIA

Old 07-07-2009, 01:49 PM

93 posts, read 646,471 times
my daughter changed schools this year. It changed on the website automatically; we didn't have to do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary