Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 06:38 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,261,264 times

Advertisements

The Cleveland Road area is near the Cleveland Road Schools...yep, its Clayton!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 07:31 PM

607 posts, read 2,432,396 times
I live in the Cleveland area. I know I am brand new here, but boy is it pretty. To drive to the grocery store, and see a stream, ponds with cows drinking from it, horses and their babes. Gee, I have truly come to the place I have drempt of.
It has been hot and very humid, at least to me, but I wouldn't trade one drop of sweat, I am never going back. This is Home to me now.

I went outside last night as the sun had set, and I watched the trees blow in the wind, and I saw something out of the corner of my eye, it looked like Tinker Bell, nope, it was fireflys!! In MY backyard, blinking little lights flitting among the trees. Unbelieable. My home is a shambles with tons of furniture that doesn't fit anywhere, but my husband, daughter and I are settling in fine, and it is so much fun.

Thanks to all of you on this site, that have sent me good thoughts and wishes. We are home.

Liz

Old 06-07-2007, 08:30 PM

401 posts, read 1,624,720 times
Cleveland is not a "town", it used to be a crossroads, and it has grown from there. Depending on who you ask, I guess it would include most of the area from Willow Springs(Wake Co.) to Clayton city limits, and from Garner to Benson(?) with its center being at I-40 and hwy 42. It's a pretty big area in general and has about any kind of house you could possibly want. I live in the area, in Johnston Co., and have a Raleigh address. Some of my friends in the area have a Garner address. To say it's clayton would not be exactly right.
As far as drive times, if I leave my house before 6:35 A.M. or after 8:30 A.M. traffic is not bad at all. It would take me about 20 min. to get to Cary(I-40 at U.S.1). The afternoon traffic is from about 4:30 P.M. to 6:15 P.M..
Or.... you can take the back roads and stay off I-40 which takes about the same time.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:54 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,039,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
I live in the Cleveland area. I know I am brand new here, but boy is it pretty. To drive to the grocery store, and see a stream, ponds with cows drinking from it, horses and their babes. Gee, I have truly come to the place I have drempt of.
It has been hot and very humid, at least to me, but I wouldn't trade one drop of sweat, I am never going back. This is Home to me now.

I went outside last night as the sun had set, and I watched the trees blow in the wind, and I saw something out of the corner of my eye, it looked like Tinker Bell, nope, it was fireflys!! In MY backyard, blinking little lights flitting among the trees. Unbelieable. My home is a shambles with tons of furniture that doesn't fit anywhere, but my husband, daughter and I are settling in fine, and it is so much fun.

Thanks to all of you on this site, that have sent me good thoughts and wishes. We are home.

Liz
Liz

You saw the fireflies.......or "light-nin bugs" as I call them! but I am soooo glad you saw them. I just saw a report on the national news about lightening bugs dying out! Take advantage while you can!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:08 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,261,264 times
Speaking of the lightening bugs...I had no idea that there are parts of the country that do not have them!!!

I had clients who recently moved here and they called me to ask me what those "bugs with lights" were and if it would be ok if the boys touched them! I laughed so hard.

Another great thing about NC! Besides BBQ and sweet iced tea...we have lightening bugs! And who said they don't like bugs???

Vicki

Old 06-08-2007, 01:52 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,761,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Speaking of the lightening bugs...I had no idea that there are parts of the country that do not have them!!!

I had clients who recently moved here and they called me to ask me what those "bugs with lights" were and if it would be ok if the boys touched them! I laughed so hard.

Another great thing about NC! Besides BBQ and sweet iced tea...we have lightening bugs! And who said they don't like bugs???

Vicki
My daughter's preschool class here in Oregon read The Lonely Firefly while doing a unit on insects. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of reading this Eric Carl gem, the book has little fireflys that actually light up at the end of the book. Of the 16 kids, only 3 had ever seen fireflys. All 3 of these kids had seen them in Southern States while visiting grandparents. The rest of the kids thought these bugs were fiction. To bad I won't be able to Fed Ex some to these kids after we move.

Can't wait to catch and release a few with my kids in July!

Old 06-08-2007, 09:10 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,092,085 times
My husband is from Oregon; I grew up in Pennsylvania. When we moved from the PNW to Virginia years ago, he was awed by the fireflies. Not as many in the Boston area but it's always a treat to see them. I'm looking forward to seeing more, again.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:44 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,693,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post

Liz

Welcome Home Tarheel neighbor,
I very much enjoyed your post, almost had to grab the tissues, tears of joy for you were felt!

Old 06-08-2007, 11:47 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,693,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post

Can't wait to catch and release a few with my kids in July!
Well July is not far away,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary