Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 06:07 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I "heard" that some of the contributors of the Boys and Girls Club were not in agreement with his Wake County School politics and therefore were cutting back on their financial contributions. Perhaps he thought it best to leave for that reason, alone OR perhaps he was asked to leave.

Vicki
That makes perfect sense - as his WCPSS politics and the notions behind the B&GC are totally opposing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 06:18 PM

419 posts, read 1,397,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottery Collector View Post
I find myself liking Mr. Tedesco more and more each day. What a class act to stop taking his full time pay and focus his energy on the important task at hand. It is so refreshing when on a rare occasion someone puts their own gain and comfort on the back burner, for the betterment of the masses. It's too bad more people in this world are not like him. We would have such a nicer world to live in.
Either he got pressure to resign and he's doing this to save face or he's using his current "celebrity" status to propel himself to higher office.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-04-2010 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: Let's keep national politics in that forum, please.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:26 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,120 times
especially as it will be difficult for him to live off the $11,000 he gets paid for the School Board activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I saw that. He strikes me as a "shoot first, aim second" type anyway. But I agree with you; there's more to it than is being told.
Tedesco leaving job to focus on Wake school board :: WRAL.com

Old 04-04-2010, 07:34 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,848 times
Why in the world are we paying these people a penny?? Sorry but being a board of education member should be a non paying elected position.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:54 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
WakeEd - School board critics targeting John Tedesco's job | newsobserver.com blogs

Old 04-04-2010, 07:58 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Wasn't the Boy's & Girl's Club, it was the Big Brother, Big Sister program, local chapter. They serve approx 1,000 children per yr. The kind of work he did requires 40-50 hrs wk commitment. I imagine his employer was as flexible as they could be for a long as they could be considering the amt of time he may have been unable to be available to do his work b/c of the board meetings. I heard from a fundraiser friend that the organization has had to lay off or was getting ready to lay off staff as donations were down b/c of the economy. This aligns with what other non profits have experienced in recent months or for most of 2009 and to now.

I believe that he had a decision to make, commit to BBBS or WCPSS. As it is clear his career aspirations are in the business world rather than non-profits per his quote to the N&O, it sounds like the stars aligned for the time to be now.

I wouldn't be surprised if his future was in politics rather than business.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:36 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Wasn't the Boy's & Girl's Club, it was the Big Brother, Big Sister program, local chapter. They serve approx 1,000 children per yr. The kind of work he did requires 40-50 hrs wk commitment. I imagine his employer was as flexible as they could be for a long as they could be considering the amt of time he may have been unable to be available to do his work b/c of the board meetings. I heard from a fundraiser friend that the organization has had to lay off or was getting ready to lay off staff as donations were down b/c of the economy. This aligns with what other non profits have experienced in recent months or for most of 2009 and to now.

I believe that he had a decision to make, commit to BBBS or WCPSS. As it is clear his career aspirations are in the business world rather than non-profits per his quote to the N&O, it sounds like the stars aligned for the time to be now.

I wouldn't be surprised if his future was in politics rather than business.
I would think that BBBS/BAGC would be thrilled to have the voice on the WCPSS board - if his voice were not pushing ideals that completely defy their own. I have no doubt that donations are down, as they are everywhere - but Tedesco 'outed' himself, and there's no way such a group as the Boys and Girls Club could withstand that. It would be pretty tough for them to solicit funds if being led by someone like Tedesco.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:56 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Maybe he'll quit his other job too? He can dial up folksy rhetoric in the Tea Party and then land a multi million dollar contract for his own reality show. Isn't that the current pattern to follow?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:28 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Maybe he'll quit his other job too? He can dial up folksy rhetoric in the Tea Party and then land a multi million dollar contract for his own reality show. Isn't that the current pattern to follow?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:19 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
rnc2 - thanks for the laugh-yet again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary