Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 06:42 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

First somebody- either one of two cats or a dog- peed in our expensive chair. I had it cleaned and a few week later the same thing happened again in the same chair. We cleaned it again but of course odor is still there.

this is happening at night but I'm pretty sure my little dog stays right by the bed all night. I took the cats to the vet and only one 's urine could be tested as the other one's bladder was empty.

We have been putting baskets, etc in the two matching chairs at night but last night somebody peed on the sofa. We are at our wits end.

NOTHING different has happened. no construction, no change in food, litter. nothing.

We love our pets but we cannot continue to live in urine soaked environment.

I was wondering if there is some kind of cat whispere around who can help us.

If not we will have to get rid of two very beautiful ragdoll Cats and a Bichon.

Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 06:52 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
Please post this in the Pet Forum (Cats) as well. There are many people with a ton of cat experience and advice.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:15 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Sorry to say but that chair will have to be trashed. You will never be able to get rid of the urine smell. I've had cats all my life and have tried every product on the market and nothing, NOTHING, will remove the smell 100% unless you have it reupholstered. I had a cat about 5 years ago that started urinating in a corner of a bedroom for no apparent reason. We tried everything to get that cat to stop peeing in the room. In the end, the cat found a new place to live. I had to replace the carpet/padding and apply sealer/primer/stainblocker 3 times and if I got down and smelled the new carpet there was still a faint odor of urine. I love my cats and dog but they are not a part of the family and will find a new home if they start destroying my property.
As for the cat rehab clinic I've never heard of such a place. Maybe contact your vet? I still feel like you'd be time/money ahead of yourself by getting a new cat especially since you can find them all day long for free!

Old 04-04-2010, 02:09 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
This product is good for getting out the smell.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...0070926x00003a

It can be removed because my cat peed
on my leather seats in my car coming home from the vet.

As far as breaking the habit I am not sure.

Do you have a litter box?? Could you place it near the
chair??

Old 04-04-2010, 02:12 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,522 times
Okay, when I first read this I busted out laughing. I do feel your pain because I had a male cat that would not stop peeing in my apartment and it was such a bummer and I had to eventually find him a new home. BUT I first imagined cats with little glasses of beer whooping it up. We have three of our own so I love the little critters. Best of luck with your situation.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:30 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Quote:
It can be removed because my cat peed
on my leather seats in my car coming home from the vet.
It won't soak into leather.
I had tried that stuff you recommended but it made no difference at all.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:28 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I had a similar problem, cat started peeing on the hardwood floors, for no apparant reason! I posted on the pets forum and got lots of good suggestions.

Vets will tell you that a cat will pee only in their litter box unless something is wrong. Hundreds of dollars later, we discovered that the cat had "behavioral issues". I ended up putting a 2nd litter box in the area that she kept peeing in and she no longer pees on the hardwood. Made no sense to me!

There is a company in this area that has a "machine" that is GUARANTEED to get out any odor. I don't remember the name but could find it if you can't.

Vicki

Old 04-04-2010, 03:31 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Why throw your little bichon out with the bath water? (out with the cats?)

I'd take him in a minute.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:24 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
NOTHING different has happened. no construction, no change in food, litter. nothing.
Cats often pee for territorial reasons, are upset or are getting senile. I know you think nothing has changed, but I can almost guarantee you that something has changed, no matter how minor.

I had an 18 year old female cat that started defecating in and around the shared food bowl. It's not unusual for cats to use their feces or urine to mark territory. We figured out after a lot of different things that she was being harassed by the other two male cats and was getting upset. We ended up locking her in the master bedroom at night. (Her litter box was in the master bathroom.) Eventually we were able to let her sleep back in the kitchen. That only lasted for about a week or two before she wanted to come into the bedroom again. The main thing we had to do was to keep our female away from the 5 year old male cats as much as possible.

Is there a room you could lock them in at night with a litterbox where they would be reasonably comfortable? Does the dog tend to sit on that chair? Do the cats ever sleep with you in your bedroom? I agree with underPSI. You won't get rid of the smell. You'll just cover it up. It might go away if you have the chair reupholstered, but maybe that's not worth it.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:17 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
It won't soak into leather.
I had tried that stuff you recommended but it made no difference at all.

The leather seats had the holes for ventilation and the pee went down
between the seats and it would knock you out for days until I got this product.

One thing the product says is to throughly drench everywhere the pee
reached.

Maybe I just caught it in time but it did work for me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary