Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 01:17 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
ok, and the agreement must state that you cannot disclose the location of my free range chickens nor the fig tree, which I think could take your plum tree You all slumber well, your plums will be safe with me
You are well trusted here, and that will translate with me. Done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 04:57 PM

100 posts, read 290,368 times
Those are great pictures. Post one when it's finished too!

Old 04-16-2010, 05:01 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Great pics!

Old 04-16-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb71 View Post
Those are great pictures. Post one when it's finished too!
Definitely!

Old 04-16-2010, 07:50 PM

9 posts, read 32,972 times
Here is a link to a great pool forum with much info on all things pool and spa:
A Swimming Pool and Spa Care Forum • Trouble Free Pool

Old 04-16-2010, 08:59 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,573 times
I'm jealous too! Always wanted a pool. Great pics! Enjoy!!!

Old 04-21-2010, 08:21 AM

Some updates - tile went in 2 days ago, coping is coming any day:

Old 04-21-2010, 08:53 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
It will be using a salt/chlorine generator but not "salt water" per se.

There seems to be some confusion about salt water, which I, too, had before researching pools.

Usually when someone refers to "salt water" they mean that the pool uses a generator that breaks down salt (put into the skimmer area) into its principal components, one of which is a chlorine-like chemical that sanitizes the pool. The advantage is that you don't have to keep nasty, dangerous chemicals around the house and you can care for the pool using common salt. The generator has a sensor that automatically keeps the level where it needs to be and only generates when necessary, so the overall "chlorine" level is very low compared to a traditional pool and you can't even really smell it or otherwise detect its presence as a swimmer.
Let us know how the system works when completed. I have heard the initial salt requirement is hundreds of pounds of water softener salt being dissolved into the pool water. But I am curious if this is fact or fiction.

I know the costs for chlorine based sanitizers are going thru the roof!! A 31 pound pail of brand name Calcium Hypochlorite was priced at $100 at a local discount store Monday. I bought two 25 pound pails of the same brand last year for only $25 each via an internet Pre-Season Sale- I wish I had purchased more. My small pool (14 x 28 Kidney) consumes ~40 pounds per year depending on weather and swimmer load.

If chlorine costs keeps sky-rocketing, I may convert to Salt based sanitizing method.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 04-21-2010 at 10:10 AM..

Old 04-21-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Let us know how the system works when completed. I have heard the initial salt requirement is hundreds of pounds of water softener salt being dissoved into the pool water. But I am curious if this is fact or fiction.

I know the costs for chlorine based sanitizers are going thru the roof!! A 16 pound pail of brand name Calcium Hypochloirte was priced at $100 at a local discount store Monday. I bought two 25 pound pails of the same brand last year for only $25 each via an internet Pre-Season Sale- I wish I had purchased more. My small pool (14 x 28 Kidney) consumes ~40 pounds per year depending on weather and swimmer load.

If chlorine costs keeps sky-rocketing, I may convert to Salt based sanitizing method.
The initial cost for salt in a pool that is already properly sanitized (or close to it) will be very low. I think a 50 pound bag of salt costs around $6 or so. My neighbor recently started up his pool after the winter and had to add a "lot" of salt which ended up being around 2-3 bags for his 40x25 pool (28,000 gallons). So I'd say that's quite inexpensive.

I'm doing it not for the cost (although that helps), but for the convenience. I'm quite lazy and don't like spending a lot of time maintaining things. I'd rather be using things than working on them. Once my neighbor got his pool all set up, he barely has to add any chemicals at all and the pH and chlorine levels are extremely stable. Rather than once a week or two, he only has to add chemicals every month or two.

Pool Professionals will be taking care of my pool for a few months until it stabilizes, so I don't even have to worry about the initial "up and running" costs for chemicals. My pool will probably stabilize nicely after 1-2 years (plaster is known to shed off and cause pH issues until it stabilizes) and then I expect to have to do very little to maintain it.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:12 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,173 times
How much did you pay for this pool? My guess is 26k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary