Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:23 AM

450 posts, read 1,350,888 times

Advertisements

Wake started using Math Expressions this year. From what I've read about the different programs I think it's the lesser of the evils mentioned in this thread. I actually think it's one of the more traditional programs out there right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 06:34 AM

36 posts, read 106,381 times
In Orange County we're using Math Expressions.
I've seem MUCH WORSE.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
So what's so awful about these various math programs that have been mentioned? Is it just that the parents have difficulty with them, or do they not work well in the classroom either?

Old 04-27-2010, 02:39 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
With Envisions, there is no wiggle room for differentiation, everyone does the same thing. Most teachers I've seen add their own stuff to it. I'd personally love to see a shift back toward traditional math instruction mixed with Investigations.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:34 AM

39 posts, read 176,817 times
When I lived in Chapel Hill they were using Everyday Math. What was so awful about the program was that there were no textbooks, so as a parent you really had no idea what they were learning. Furthermore, I don't recall my child being drilled on the multiplication tables or addition facts. Where I live now they do drill these facts with a more traditional math program. I felt math with Everyday Math was too loosey goosey.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHL208 View Post
When I lived in Chapel Hill they were using Everyday Math. What was so awful about the program was that there were no textbooks, so as a parent you really had no idea what they were learning. Furthermore, I don't recall my child being drilled on the multiplication tables or addition facts. Where I live now they do drill these facts with a more traditional math program. I felt math with Everyday Math was too loosey goosey.
This hasn't been my experience. Seems like the kids have always had math textbooks, and we did multiplication tables for a couple of years in mid-elementary school years.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,163 times
Default What's wrong with Everyday Math?

Just curious....what's wrong with Everyday Math. My 1st grade daughter's school is using it (Duke School) and it seems great. Am I missing something?

Old 05-05-2010, 04:56 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Envisions does things like "estimate" and then the pictures don't represent what possible answers are. I don't get it. The kids seem confused too. We are always putting notes on the homework and teachers write notes back. I feel they don't like it very much either.

How can estimate answers be instructive in math. There is no either or in math as far as I'm concerned.
I sure wouldn't want a clerk to estimate my change or a doctor to estimate my test levels.

Can anybody explain envisions to me?

Old 05-05-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
How can estimate answers be instructive in math. There is no either or in math as far as I'm concerned. I sure wouldn't want a clerk to estimate my change or a doctor to estimate my test levels.
No, but if a child can quickly estimate what the correct answer will be, it can make it that much quicker/easier to solve to the actual answer. We're working on this right now as we do EOG prep - trying to get the kid to estimate what the correct answer to a problem is, then looking at the given choices and ruling out those that aren't close to the estimate. He can then usually determine which of the remaining choices is correct using the facts of the problem without having to work through a laborious set of calculations.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:04 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
No, but if a child can quickly estimate what the correct answer will be, it can make it that much quicker/easier to solve to the actual answer. We're working on this right now as we do EOG prep - trying to get the kid to estimate what the correct answer to a problem is, then looking at the given choices and ruling out those that aren't close to the estimate. He can then usually determine which of the remaining choices is correct using the facts of the problem without having to work through a laborious set of calculations.
If I'm understanding you correctly, it's time to throw out EOG exams. That is a completely ridiculous approach to teaching math. The whole point is to understand how to get to a correct answer, not quickly approximating so you can circumvent a multiple choice question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary