Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:08 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

For what it is worth...I have lived here for over 35 years and have never heard any negative issues with Shearon Harris.

Actually, I lived here for about 10 years before I even knew the plant was there! I thought the "evacuation route" signs were for hurricanes!

I have a client who worked at a nuclear plant in NY and he said there is the slimest of slime chances the plant will blow!

As the OP said, the last iodine pills were given out 8 years ago. I guess they haven't been used?!!

And...if the plant were to blow...wouldn't we all just go? I mean, is it going to kill all those within 10 miles and then those that live 11 miles are safe?

I'll be the first to admit that I haven't done any research on the plant but if I were a worrier, to ease my mind, I'd at least do my research and not just take the opinions of those of us that don't really KNOW! I include myself in that list!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
Well... Nuclear power is relatively safe. But let's say a terrorist somehow caused an 'incident.'. Would we all die? Probably not- it depends. To me it makes sense to do things like get the pills, store water and food, etc. It's not too much of a burden.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:03 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
It would most likely be a slow death from cancer from radiation.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:09 PM

306 posts, read 882,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
It would most likely be a slow death from cancer from radiation.

As in Chernobyl.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:17 PM

345 posts, read 1,059,955 times
I honestly don't worry about it either. I just wondered if any of our elected officials knew or cared that evacuation is a joke. When it was built, the population within 5 miles of the plant was considerably smaller than today. I'd much rather just stay in my home, and not be out in the middle of chaos, should anything happen. I doubt it ever will...they shut it down over the littlest things. I've lived about 5 miles from it for nearly 20 years...if I was worried, I'd not have stayed.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:36 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
For what it is worth...I have lived here for over 35 years and have never heard any negative issues with Shearon Harris.

Actually, I lived here for about 10 years before I even knew the plant was there! I thought the "evacuation route" signs were for hurricanes!
Sounds about right, considering the plant reached "criticality" (whatever that means) in 1987. I guess it was finishing up construction about the same time you realized the plant was there...

Quote:

And...if the plant were to blow...wouldn't we all just go? I mean, is it going to kill all those within 10 miles and then those that live 11 miles are safe?

I'll be the first to admit that I haven't done any research on the plant but if I were a worrier, to ease my mind, I'd at least do my research and not just take the opinions of those of us that don't really KNOW! I include myself in that list!

Vicki
Well, I pulled this off of wikipedia:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
On January 22, 2010 officials at the Nuclear Regulatory Commission announced the electrical generator from the damaged Unit 2 reactor at Three Mile Island will be used at Shearon Harris. Preliminary work is under way to move the generator. It will be transported in two parts, weighing a combined 670 tons. [6]
I'm not the superstitious type, but if I were..... ....I'm just sayin'.

Personally, if it blows (which I have absolutely ZERO concerns about), I hope I've got front row seats to see the big mushroom cloud immediately before I get vaporized. It's gotta be better than a slow death by radiation...

Old 04-28-2010, 06:35 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadesign View Post
As in Chernobyl.
Exactly- the mushroom cloud we all fear has to do with a nuclear bomb detonation not an accident or even a meltdown.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:45 AM

169 posts, read 540,808 times
I don't think nuclear plants explode like a bomb, they have meltdowns:

Nuclear meltdown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so i don't think you will see a mushroom cloud or anyone being vaporized.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:48 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StMichael929 View Post
I don't think nuclear plants explode like a bomb, they have meltdowns:

Nuclear meltdown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so i don't think you will see a mushroom cloud or anyone being vaporized.
Again...without any research I really don't KNOW what I'm talking about but my client who worked at a nuclear plant in NY said the same thing...it won't "blow".

Vicki

Old 04-28-2010, 07:52 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
More people were killed running away from TMI (3 that I know of) than were hurt by the reactor problem.
Get a grip, people.
"Former Harrisburg Person"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary