Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:16 PM

173 posts, read 939,164 times

Advertisements

Ok here is the scenario:

I have some clients who are looking to purchase a home here in Raleigh. We went today to put in our "offer to purchase and contract" and find out that they they have PROPOSED a 540 route TOLL road within 1 mile of the house they plan to purchase.

Do you see this as being a good thing or something that will have a negative impact on the home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 08:37 PM

202 posts, read 949,888 times
I am building a house and I know my house will be probably within 2 miles of the proposed 540 Toll Road. That was a positive for me. Is it a mile driving? Or a mile on a direct line? What buffer will be in between there house and 540? Will there be other homes? Trees?

Old 06-11-2007, 08:42 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,354,385 times
A mile should be far enough that noise won't be a factor, so I would think it would have a neutral or positive effect. As to portions of I-540 being a toll road, that horse has been beaten to death many times over.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:54 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,005,761 times
We had placed an offer on a home that we later found out was going to be within 1/2 mile to 1 mile of the 540 extension. We were VERY relieved when the offer did not go through. We were stressed about the potential noise a HWy that close by would bring. I would wager you are going to get an even mix of people that are fine with it and people like us who said no way. same for things like airport noise and train noise. Some are fine with it and some are not. If there is a majority ....who knows!

Old 06-11-2007, 09:01 PM

653 posts, read 2,704,915 times
I believe there is some controversy behind this project. The northern portion of the I-540 outer loop is already open to traffic and is toll-free. With the lack of funding, the idea of the western section being built as a tolled facility came up, but those nearest this section feel they are getting the short-end of the deal since they will have to pay a toll to use the same loop that is free on the other sections.

According to the NCDOT Transportation Improvement Program (TIP), purchase of right-of-way and construction are scheduled to begin this year. The final route should be decided at this point, but you should still make sure the property is out of the way of any potential alternative routes.

As long as you're not so close that the noise is deafening, I would imagine that the proximity should be a benefit. Easy access to I-40, Research Triangle Park, and Raleigh-Durham International Airport.

North Carolina Turnpike Authority - Western Wake Parkway

Old 06-12-2007, 08:34 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,582 times
I am far enough that there won't be any noise coming through. And I am close enough to add tremendous value as far as commute and driving around. With that said, I couldn't care much about it. this portion of the 540 will take FOREVER to be built so I will probably be RETIRED when it's finally done and hopefully living on the COAST!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:50 AM

88 posts, read 321,102 times
i really hope they don't do a toll road now

there are no other tolls in Raleigh and starting now is not a good idea in my opinion

Old 06-12-2007, 11:47 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,958 times
Default Alternative financing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPaul View Post
i really hope they don't do a toll road now

there are no other tolls in Raleigh and starting now is not a good idea in my opinion
I understand the issue with having to pay for something that previously was free. However there's no doubt that there's a need for this extension and it has to be funded somehow. If not tolls then the next best option would be to raise taxes. The problem therein is that the tax never goes away.

At least with the toll road we can elect to either use the road or not. The existing roads will still be available if you so choose to use them and thus no tolls or added expense.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:16 PM

88 posts, read 321,102 times
Quote:
I understand the issue with having to pay for something that previously was free. However there's no doubt that there's a need for this extension and it has to be funded somehow. If not tolls then the next best option would be to raise taxes. The problem therein is that the tax never goes away.

At least with the toll road we can elect to either use the road or not. The existing roads will still be available if you so choose to use them and thus no tolls or added expense.
maybe in NYC toll roads may be a good option
oh wait they tax the hell out of you there too

i prefer to drive around my city free of charge
your suggestion of raising taxes is inevitable anyways

thanks for bringing your past cities' mentality down here with you!

Last edited by JonPaul; 06-12-2007 at 12:29 PM..

Old 06-12-2007, 12:38 PM

709 posts, read 934,734 times
I bet this road will not be built in 10 years. by that time I will be long gone from the Triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary