Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:25 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times

Advertisements

Hey there! We're considering moving to Cary and I was wondering if anyone can suggest some good private schools (elementary-high) in the Cary area that won't bankrupt me like Cary Academy would? I'm trying to find a happy medium between public and paying college tuition prices for my second grader and his siblings...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 09:09 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,343,239 times
There are not a ton of options around here, hope someone has some good suggestions!

Old 05-02-2010, 09:11 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
The "academy"-type places like Cary Academy or Ravenscroft are indeed quite pricey. Otherwise, there are mostly church-run places (Catholic or Episcopal). I don't know how much they are. St. Timothy's and Our Lady of Lourdes (in Raleigh) are the two I've heard of the most, but there are probably newer ones.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:20 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
Your choices are pretty much to go very religious (Cary Christian) or very new (Thales Academy). If you search old threads you can find more information on both.

You might want to give more information on what you want in a school and why you want to go private. There are other options in Durham/Chapel Hill too, but people could steer you better if you provide more criteria.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:38 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,343,239 times
Generally, the Episcopalian ones will be about the same price as the "academies" and the Catholic ones will be about half that. The Episcopalian ones will probably integrate less religion, whereas with the Catholic ones that will be a more obvious presence.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:32 AM

476 posts, read 1,296,173 times
Resurrection Lutheran, Mary Magdalene, and Wake Christian are three I can think of.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:24 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times
Thanks everyone. We're looking all over the country right now for a place to call home. I loved the Cary area but was scared off by the schools. We're not used to county schools; rather, town based schools. So the large population, reassigning and changes with traditional and year round scare us. We're basically looking for quality education and stability. We want our children to be able to make and keep their friends, not lose them to what could be an annual reassignment. It seems that most people in the WCPSS are happy with the schools, and that reassignment doesn't bother them. But this would be a huge change for us. I'm not suggesting that our current school system is better, it's just what we know and are comfortable with. And I know that some will tell me not to move there if I am not willing to change, LOL. I LOVED everything about that area (homes, people, parks, family friendly town) except what I learned about the reassigning. Thanks for the advice so far!

Old 05-03-2010, 06:19 PM

140 posts, read 419,287 times
Check out Thales academy in Apex..

Old 05-03-2010, 06:55 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Thanks everyone. We're looking all over the country right now for a place to call home. I loved the Cary area but was scared off by the schools. We're not used to county schools; rather, town based schools. So the large population, reassigning and changes with traditional and year round scare us. We're basically looking for quality education and stability. We want our children to be able to make and keep their friends, not lose them to what could be an annual reassignment. It seems that most people in the WCPSS are happy with the schools, and that reassignment doesn't bother them. But this would be a huge change for us. I'm not suggesting that our current school system is better, it's just what we know and are comfortable with. And I know that some will tell me not to move there if I am not willing to change, LOL. I LOVED everything about that area (homes, people, parks, family friendly town) except what I learned about the reassigning. Thanks for the advice so far!
I would say this, and this is coming from a parent of wake county school elementary aged students. I understand what you are saying, but kids are not reassigned every year, generally the school board will do a 3 year assignment plan, and then there are stipulations regarding when a student can be reassigned (*if that happens*), so they are not reassigned in their last year of elementary, middle or high school.

I live in a part of wake county (in wake forest) that does not have the density of population as places like cary. The possibility of my kids being reassigned is decreased because there are not many new neighborhoods that can be built near me, thus, no high influx of population needing to go to school.

I know, across the country, people hear lots about Cary and how wonderful it is , etc. I do not disagree with that, but I would also add that there are many many towns that people live in and love that are in wake county. Most people try and find a home within a reasonable commute to work. Reasonable is definitely up to debate, because some people think 45 minutes is a breeze, where others want to be 15 minutes. Commute often dictates where people look for a home. I do not know your circumstance, but I just want to say, do not discount this area because of the school system. It is excellent, and my kids love it. I have found the teachers and administrators, at least at our school, to be fantastic.

Leigh

Old 05-04-2010, 08:00 AM

26 posts, read 66,409 times
You might want to try Chesterbrook Academy in Cary (off Cary Pkwy). It's currently k-6, but expanding to 8th grade in the next two years. I have a 3rd grader there and our experience has been great.

It's not as expensive as Cary Academy/Ravenscroft, but still a little more than the catholic schools or Thales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary