Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:29 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,642,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmartian View Post
ew. feel like things are crawling on me just reading this.

do you have to vacate the premises for a little while after extermination? we have a baby and several indoor cats.
Usually the extermination is more in the way of a monthly service call, rather than a whole-house fumigation. My parents in FL have the exterminator come once a month to spray for all sorts of the creepy crawlies they have down there. They can spray while you are at home, as it is not a fumigation (which I think is only necessary for infestations, rather than preventative maintenance). I think they just recommend that you keep children and pets away from the sprayed areas - usually around baseboards, etc. - until the spray is dry, probably a couple of hours. It's relatively painless and keeps the bugs at bay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 06:47 AM

185 posts, read 992,015 times
ah ok, then locking the cats up in the 2nd floor and taking the baby out of the house for a shopping trip should suffice.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:53 AM

959 posts, read 4,492,718 times
Eww, we found a baby cockroach a few days ago in an upstairs bathroom I'm assuming it came in from outside through the plumbing.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:48 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,030 times
Default babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
Eww, we found a baby cockroach a few days ago in an upstairs bathroom I'm assuming it came in from outside through the plumbing.
babies are not good. Keep an eye out for a family populating in that area...

Old 06-13-2007, 12:26 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmartian View Post
ew. feel like things are crawling on me just reading this.

do you have to vacate the premises for a little while after extermination? we have a baby and several indoor cats.
Absolutely, because the roaches hide from the pesticide and get really irritated by it all. In retaliation, they will probably carry off the child and at least one of the cats..... Shopping extensively should give them time to calm down.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:35 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,688,037 times
chaining my cat to the house.......

Honestly I have never seen a roach in any of our houses. And some of them have been in the most rural areas. Now we did see some spiders. But we are on an extermination plan and they come quarterly or in between if we want them to. When we first moved into this house we had them spray everywhere in the house before we moved in. And now it is like I said just quarterly. And no wasp nests behind our shutters, nothing. And I guess having tons of frogs from the pond helps alot outside,

Old 06-13-2007, 03:46 PM

959 posts, read 4,492,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
babies are not good. Keep an eye out for a family populating in that area...
UGH. I really HOPE there's not some cockroach mom hanging out in our house somewhere We do have a lot of woods nearby, and a lot of trees immediately around us so I figured I might see a cockroach at some point

Old 06-14-2007, 08:07 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,030 times
Default check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
UGH. I really HOPE there's not some cockroach mom hanging out in our house somewhere We do have a lot of woods nearby, and a lot of trees immediately around us so I figured I might see a cockroach at some point
I would REALLY investigate that area that you saw the baby. keep the room dark for an hour and then turn on the lights and search quickly with a flashlight. Also usually in a home they will be by baths and kitchens. Unders sinks ect. They love dark spaces and water more than anything.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:55 AM

150 posts, read 392,998 times
This is all very funny. Coming from NYC, I knew roaches, but in Florida they were roaches on steroids!!! (euphemistically called palmetto bugs). I signed on to a household exterminator contract the first year. Nowadays, I just spray as needed. Now if I could just get rid of the frogs that jump out of my toilets...The South is definately different

Old 06-14-2007, 09:58 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,963,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar View Post
This is all very funny. Coming from NYC, I knew roaches, but in Florida they were roaches on steroids!!! (euphemistically called palmetto bugs). I signed on to a household exterminator contract the first year. Nowadays, I just spray as needed. Now if I could just get rid of the frogs that jump out of my toilets...The South is definately different
Hey, I want frogs in my apartment!

Maybe not jumping out of the toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary