Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 09:49 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm dreaming, but it seems to me that, especially in this economy, a group should be able to negotiate with one lawn care service for a lower price if multiple neighbors sign up for it.

Has anyone ever done this? Where? How did it work out? Any recommendations for lawn services?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 03:50 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,514 times
At least the two or three lawn services that I spoke to about trying to combine my neighbor and my lawn did not go for it. I guess they have some rule against it. If the subdivision went for it, maybe, but 2-3 homes it seems like they are not interested.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:19 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
I doubt you will have much luck with that with most reputable services. They usually require individual contracts and dealing with multiple homes via one contract would be a headache. What happens when one or two of the participants moves or decides they want to go back cutting themselves? Does the discount still apply to the remainder of homes? Does the contract get renegotiated. Too much trouble to deal with. In the end I doubt the discount would be more than just a couple of dollars and probably not worth the trouble for the lawn service or your neighbors.

FWIW, I don't think most reputable lawn services are struggling "in this economy". Clients come and go but most places I know are very busy and aren't looking for ways to discount their services outside of one time teaser rates to drum up business.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:42 AM

28 posts, read 73,555 times
I have done it (negotiated group rates) even in good times. some of the issues raised can simply be worked out by talking to the lawn guy. and as nrg mentioned, it is a few dollars you save PER treatment. Depends if you care about it or not.

If someone moves out or discontinues, my guy kept providing me the discount. It makes more sense for him to have me as a customer than not.

I used nc turf care

NC Turf - Home

ask for ryan.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:32 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Thanks! There are 1400 homes in Brentwood. It's like a small town. I'd think it might be worthwhile for someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafel77 View Post
I have done it (negotiated group rates) even in good times. some of the issues raised can simply be worked out by talking to the lawn guy. and as nrg mentioned, it is a few dollars you save PER treatment. Depends if you care about it or not.

If someone moves out or discontinues, my guy kept providing me the discount. It makes more sense for him to have me as a customer than not.

I used nc turf care

NC Turf - Home

ask for ryan.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:37 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Thanks! There are 1400 homes in Brentwood. It's like a small town. I'd think it might be worthwhile for someone.
Right. If you try this, I would focus on getting neighbors grouped together on your street to band together. The arguement for a discount is weakened if the customers are spread out among the 1400 residents in an entire community unless you are talking about a LARGE number of people signing up. If you only get 5 or 6 people on board but the lawn guy needs to pack up his equipment onto his truck to drive over to somebody in the "group" the value having a bulk of customers in one location is somewhat diminished.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:26 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,884 times
I did this with a small company, but the deal was that the rates would go back to the norm if a bunch of people canceled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary