Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 07:37 PM

21 posts, read 38,302 times

Advertisements

I'm from New Haven, Connecticut. My wife and I are actively looking into moving to Durham, NC. We're sick of the rat race in this area. We're concerned about the local economy. We're also not too happy with our immediate area, New Haven. My biggest problem with New Haven is that the local government doesn't represent who they should represent- the legal tax paying citizen. They'd rather make a ridiculous amount of promised to people who are on welfare so that they'll get their vote and stay in power. They also give services to illegal aliens. I don't agree with this type of system. Another problem is Yale University. They own so much of New Haven, that it's unbelievable. The problem with this is that they only act in the interests of Yale and its students. They're more powerful than the local government. The reason why I give all of these details is because I'd like to make sure that I wouldn't be running into the same situation if we move to Durham/Raleigh. Could anyone shed any light on this? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 09:07 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
I don't think you'll like Durham. Head for Cary or, better still, Clayton.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:08 PM

264 posts, read 907,858 times
Durham is not the place for you.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:50 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
I don't think Durham and New Haven are all that similar, but I fear that with the major irritations you have about New Haven, you'd tend to find and focus on those things that are similar in Durham and end up being just as unhappy.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:58 AM

I'd like to thank all that gave me their very valuable input. I's definitely going to take it into account. But I'd also like to know if you think that my feelings about any similarities with New Haven would be eased by a much lesser tax burden? Also by the act that North Carolina is not as financially troubled as Connecticut? These conditions worry me, regardless of where I would live in CT. But more so due to the fact that I live in New Haven. It gets 70% of its budget from CT. As CT goes broker and broker, that percentage is going to become less and less. That's where New Haven would demand the difference from tax payers. Increasing the already heavy burden.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:30 AM

447 posts, read 1,620,072 times
One thing I noticed in your post is that you reference Durham as Durham/Raleigh in the last sentence. You should understand that there are distinct local governments in this area. Durham has its own local government and is located about 1/2 hour drive away from Raleigh. Local governments will have their own unique financial situations. For instance, I have read that Cary (another local city) has a surplus this year. So when looking in this area, don't assume that all towns in this area are the same just because one town has a poor financial situation or is run differently than you think you would like to live in. Good luck in your decision-making!

Old 05-17-2010, 03:45 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
I do have to wonder why you are focused on Durham as opposed to other parts of the Triangle, given the issues you have with New Haven. Have you considered Raleigh, or Cary, or Chapel Hill, or .... ?

Old 05-17-2010, 05:35 PM

I've been looking into the entire area. But as I do I find evidence of some seemingly level-headed people describing Durham as being the place where there are interesting things to do. They also describe it as a nice place to live. As I have yet to visit, I'm researching what I can online. And it's hard to feel as if I'm understanding Durham any better. It seems like there are a lot of drastically different circumstances right around the corner from each other. As I look into other surrounding towns, they seem more like my kind of places. They seem to protect the elements of life that I value, but I wonder if my family (especially my very young daughters) would be missing out on the benefits of diversity? I'm not against diversity. Just not in agreement with a local government that doesn't accurately represent the views/values of its citizens.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:21 PM

305 posts, read 768,243 times
I agree with the other posters. Durham does not sound like a good fit for you. Maybe Cary?

Old 05-17-2010, 08:19 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
I think most small to mid size towns / cities with large universities have a certain amount of influence that university carries. While UNC-CH is a state Uni they still exercise a lot of influence in local Chapel Hill government.

In Durham Duke does have a large influence in government. They are the number one employer so it's to be expected. Couple that with the fact that a large part of RTP is in Durham and there are property tax breaks for both Duke and RTP, the bottom line of the city is affected.

In Raleigh there is NCSU. But Raleigh is the state capital so I think NCSU has less influence than maybe the others mentioned.

Other than my college years this is the first time I've ever lived in a "college town". And I have to admit it's taken some getting use to.... even though I don't live near the college. It sounds like you are maybe ready to live in a non-college town. ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary