Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

get one of these stickers

Old 05-26-2010, 09:18 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
get one of these stickers
Actually, the one I like reads:

"The closer you follow, the slower I drive"

Old 05-26-2010, 09:38 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
If someone hits you from behind, it is their fault. I pay no attention to tailgaters. If I'm in the right lane, driving the speed limit, who cares what is going on behind me?!!

Vicki
Well you should care as the space behind your vehicle is part of your safety zone. The person that you don't care about on your bumper is putting your life in jeopardy.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:57 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Well you should care as the space behind your vehicle is part of your safety zone. The person that you don't care about on your bumper is putting your life in jeopardy.
I don't think you got it!

Old 05-26-2010, 10:10 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,952,476 times
I just gradually go slower and slower until the jerk has to pass me. Instant karma. I refuse to be intimidated.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:54 AM

838 posts, read 2,523,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
I just gradually go slower and slower until the jerk has to pass me. Instant karma. I refuse to be intimidated.
I'd suggest that when you do that, you're being just as much of a jerk as the driver behind you. In addition, you are causing a road hazard, which I think you'd have a hard time explaining to a leo if they saw it.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:09 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTees View Post
Hey guys. I hope everyone is enjoying this week. I have been living here with my husband for exactly one month now. I am in love with the triangle. Simply and amazingly, in love. We have made some amazing friends, love our new home, the more calm way of living. Grew up in PA, lived in Center City Philadelphia 6 years, NYC for 4, the NJ for 2 before moving here. I am still getting used to the area as a whole, as any new move would have you do.

However, I am getting back my nostalgic feelings of the happiness (and manners) growing up in PA gave me. We grew up waving to neighbors, letting people go at a stop sign, holding the door open, help carry bags to the car at the supermarket for an elderly person, you get the idea. Just the other day I am basking in all of this happiness and sigh with content.I am sharing how I spent my day with my husband after picking him up for work it all my happy feelings suddenly stop. There behind me for the 10th time this week is someone riding my tail so badly I almost run off the road. I check my speed, I am 5-8mph above the speed limit, this is BS! I check the plates, all from NC. (who knows where they are really from) Not only are they tailing me in the most aggressive form but swerving back and fourth like an angry drunk. Now, my Philly and NYC sides come right on back. Yesterday I got so angry I even got out of my car to scream at the jerk behind me and the guy I guess got a little worried and sped off. With 29 years of living up North in some of the most aggressive places in the country I HAVE NEVER experienced anything like this. Is anyone else having trouble with this or seen this happen? I am really worried I am going to get into an accident trying to protect myself and shake these guys off. (Yes, All have been men) I know up north you can dial *77 to report someone doing this, is there something like that here? I have seen on the road others being aggressively tailed too. Where are these tailers from? Been in PA, NJ, NYC and have been tailed but nothing like this. Sorry for my rant, just want to protect my family. Any thoughts? Other than that, I LOVE NC!! And thanks for reading this.
Sorry this has been your experience. I have little patience, myself, with aggressive drivers, and just love being in a position to share data that shows how, for all of the aggressive driving, one doesn't get to a destination much ahead of what he might, otherwise. People who live under that kind of stress, ie. the tailgater, seem 'doomed' to me -- ulcers, BP that spikes, heart attacks. . .you get the picture.

First, when you let someone else upset you that much, you have given him the power over you.

Others have pointed out that a rear-end collision is the fault, without fail, of the fool behind you who causes it. Like you, however, I try to drive defensively. Sometimes, tapping the brakes a few times tells such a driver to back-off, and from your car, I think you can call the Highway Patrol to report an aggressive driver like that. Authorities have become less tolerant of such fools, I've found.

You encounter drivers like this, but I really don't think it is the norm. Consider the sheer numbers of cars on the roads at a given time, and I think butt-heads like this fellow are still a minority. Doesn't mean it is any less pleasant when you encounter one.

And, oh my!, but not intending to step on any toes, my spouse and I surmise these aggressive drivers are moving up to the Triangle area from the coast. Highest accident rate in the state, and highest insurance rates, are in Wilmington, our agent shared with us. When we moved here, our insurance rates dropped significantly.

Lastly, you always set the example for others. Continue to smile, wave, and be courteous to others. Makes the rude ones look all the worse for their surly attitudes and inappropriate behaviors. Your blood pressure will benefit, too.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:36 AM

27 posts, read 56,883 times
I believe you are looking for an excuse to dislike it in Raleigh. Kind of a "everything was so much better back up north" story.

I live in PA now and I've had some horrible driving experiences here.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:19 AM

61 posts, read 260,922 times
This is NASCAR country it's not tailgating it's drafting, lol. On the beltline the yellow blinking lights on the cars are not turn signals they are warning signals, they are giving you about 3 seconds to get out their way!

crazy drivers are everywhere not just NC
Getting out to confront them is not a good idea you never know when you are going to run into a truly crazy person with a baseball bat or gun. I know someone who got punched in the face because she got out to confront a tailgater at a stoplight

just use *hp or 911 to report them

Old 05-27-2010, 09:08 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
I'd suggest that when you do that, you're being just as much of a jerk as the driver behind you. In addition, you are causing a road hazard, which I think you'd have a hard time explaining to a leo if they saw it.
You're supposed to slow down if you're being tailgated - that's how you make the situation safe. You don't slam on your brakes either, you just slow down.

Part of the problem is, people who think they are being tailgated will slow down, and then try and race the other car as it speeds up to pass them. What does that solve?

Just reading these threads its amazing how many bad habits are freely discussed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary