Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 07:43 PM

792 posts, read 4,487,051 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever had a piano refinished? Who did you use and how was the result?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:44 PM

476 posts, read 1,676,284 times
Default Refinished Piano

I am not quite sure how I ended up venturing into this, but have actually painted three of them for friends over the last 2 years - amazing transformation and are completely functional. 2 were painted black and another darkened the wood tone with a faux finish.

It is very time consuming because of the number of moving and connecting pieces, but a great result.

I believe the toughtest thing about a full refinish would be the amount of sanding needed to get a piece down to bare wood. You would have to seal off all of the musical apparatus.

Here are 2 different painted pianos - before & after... If the pics don't come through PM me & I'll send them to you.

*Enlarge the (2nd) before picture to see why this young couple REALLY wanted theirs done. This was a piano inherited from her grandmother which had a big fishbowl water mark on the top, and all sorts of discoloration. If they didn't paint it they would have gotten rid of it. I think it is wonderful that it will be around for another couple of generations... imagine their future toddler learning to walk by pulling him or herself around that piano bench... and learning to play and appreciate music. I am glad to be part of the making of a family heirloom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TC Piano Before I.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	54095

Name:	TC Piano done.jpg
Views:	959
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	54096

Name:	TC Piano detail.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	54097

Name:	Rogers Piano Before2.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	54098

Name:	Rogers Piano After I4.jpg
Views:	5707
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	54099

Name:	Rogers Detail5.jpg
Views:	3111
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	54100

As for refinishing - I would not know where to refer you!

Last edited by brooks2007; 12-07-2009 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: Attachments

Old 12-08-2009, 07:19 AM

792 posts, read 4,487,051 times
Those pictures look great. Painting is an option that I'm considering. I am inheriting this piano, it was stripped of the original finish 30 years ago by my parents who never got around to doing anything more with it.

What was your process for painting, did you use a primer and how many coats of finish paint? What sheen did you use (e.g. semi-gloss) and was it latex or oil? Thanks for the tips!

Old 12-08-2009, 02:49 PM

Default Furniture Painting

I just sent you a PM...

Old 12-08-2009, 05:01 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Does anyone know anyone who will refinish deep water stains on a piano?

Painting the piano black isn't an option for me.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:30 PM

Default Piano - Water Marks

Hopefully they are just on the top of the piano??? If so, that can be sanded pretty easily & stained or if natural just resealed.

I've done some reparations, it depends on how deep the water marks penetrate. Here is a door I refinished for a fellow City-Data neighbor - (the door was only4 or 5 years old). It was (and now IS) GORGEOUS, but their builder didn't seal it properly and it was thrashed - had a lot of sun & weather exposure. You can see where the kickplate had protected the original finish.

It's all in the preparation and finish - no shortcuts! Make sure you seal it and allow it to cure properly... Click pics to see detail...

You can do the same thing to a piano, especially if it is just the top!

Name:	IMG_2243.JPG
Views:	491
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	54160

Name:	Front lower.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	54161

Name:	IMG_2246.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	54162

Name:	IMG_2263.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	54163

Last edited by brooks2007; 12-08-2009 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: Spelling - sheesh!

Old 01-23-2010, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 7,535 times
Default Info on painting piano

Could you please send me the same info that you sent dedratermi. I just bought a baby grand and I think I wont to paint it. Your post give me some inspiration.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 11,358 times
I know I'm way late on this one, but brooks, can I get that same info as well? I have an organ that's been chopped and I'm customizing and which will soon need painting, so any info would be most helpful, or, how much do you charge for a custom paint job? thanks!

Old 06-21-2010, 11:57 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Ruggero and Hopper are two family-owned, very reputable piano stores in the area (who do more than just sell them). I would start with them. Ruggero is off Capital in the Mini-City area and Hopper is on Capital just inside the Beltline, near the bowling alley.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshi View Post
I know I'm way late on this one, but brooks, can I get that same info as well? I have an organ that's been chopped and I'm customizing and which will soon need painting, so any info would be most helpful, or, how much do you charge for a custom paint job? thanks!
I am moving out of state at the end of the month so have no time for any more jobs. The most difficult thing about painting a piano is dealing with all of the moving and touching parts (near keys, where lid folds and touches sides, etc) as well as keeping dust and particles out of the keys and musical components.

Tape off keys, putting paper sheets over them so you don't get dust in them. Plastic over the back to keep dust from getting into the key strikes, etc. Vacuum twice - prepping your piece is the MOST important step.

Once you have it sanded and deglossed, you have to use a really good primer, especially true for anything that will be handled or manipulated frequently. Use at least 2 thin coats and let them dry 24 - 48 hours between coats. Where the parts touch you will have to do these separately so you see the whole priming aspect alone can take 4 - 6 days. Then you start the same process with your paint, strategically isolating the moving parts and allowing them to FULLY cure (dry) between coats. I like latex, semi gloss paint (Beluga Black is nice!). Careful to run brushstrokes the same direction and NOT overwork your paint or it will take on a different sheen.

I usually finish with again 2 -3 thin coats of poly - of course allowing for drying time. It takes a LOT of patience and is a labor of love... Painting a piano for pay is rather expensive, more so for the sheer number of trips to and from the home for each coat!

Keep in mind humidity levels for dry time... can take forever to dry in the summer in NC!

DM me if you need anymore info...

And take before & after pics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary