Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:22 PM

36 posts, read 102,106 times

Advertisements

Glad I could help! Let me know if you have any other questions about the neighborhood or area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 10:35 AM

108 posts, read 347,610 times
I live in Sunset Oaks too and love it. As the previous poster mentioned, it's very family friendly and neighborhood oriented. We've been here 2.5 years and I don't think you can really go wrong here. Also, if you're open to resales there are a ton of homes on the market that are just a few years old. You can probably get a great deal on one of those. PM me if you have more questions!

Old 06-08-2010, 07:52 AM

189 posts, read 374,565 times
I'm subbing... we looked at the Park at West Lake and Sunset Ridge when we were down a few weeks ago and LOVED it. We drove by Sunset Oaks and made a mental note that it seemed like a good fit as well.

This is great info. One of the things that made us happy when we drove through TPAWL was a minivan pulling out of a driveway who gave us a friendly wave, and a mom moving stuff in a garage who did the same. It had a definitely friendly-neighborhood feel.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:18 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,814,386 times
I live in TPAWL. My brother and his family live in Sunset Oaks.

A couple of distinctions to note-

TPAWL's HOA dues include use of the pool. Sunset Oaks has a lower base HOA fee but the pool is quite pricey. Sunset Oaks has a great pool, one of the nicest in the triangle, but it gets VERY crowded and costs over $800 per year beyond your base HOA dues. You can also use Sunset Ridge's swim facilities, but most people don't want to leave thier neighborhood to swim if they don't have to.

Holly Springs' property tax rate is slightly higher than Cary's. A home with a tax value of $300,000 will have taxes approximately $300 higher per year in Holly Springs than in Cary. Not a deal breaker but some folks are really sensitive to taxes.

TPAWL's base Elementary and Middle Schools are walkable. There is no bus service provided to West Lake Elementary or Middle School for residents of TPAWL.

The South Cary Wastewater Treatment Plant abuts a few lots at the Southern End of the Woodlands section of TPAWL. Homes in that location have been a bit slower to sell and sold for slightly less than other homes within the neighborhood.

TPAWL is built out in the Woodlands section (the larger custom homes). There are still a few lots open in the Heritage section, and Lennar has begun to build in the Commons Section. Lennar replaced L and L of Raleigh (a local custom builder).

Sunset Oaks has further to go to build out. McNeill Burbank is still building-they are the majority builder in Sunset Oaks proper. DJF Builders has pretty much built out its section of smaller homes and is now concentrating on homes in the mid $300s. You'll get more square footage with McNeill Burbank and a better trimmed out home from DJF.

John Wieland (Atlanta Based Tract Builder) is the lone builder in "The Woods" section of Sunset Oaks. Resales in that section have had a tough time mostly due to pricing. During the peak of our market big brick homes were selling in the 6-700K price bracket. Right now they are not.

IMO your best buy in Sunset Oaks is either McNeill Burbank or DJF. In TPAWL I would look at resales in the Heritage or the Woodlands and pick your lot very carefully.

Both neighborhoods are social, full of kids, and very family-friendly.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:47 PM

36 posts, read 102,106 times
Just another note regarding the above post. We live in Sunset Oaks and the builder who built our house is Timberline and we were very happy with them and the quality of work. Another builder in this neighborhood is J.Scott. There really isn't that much land left for building in this neighborhood and the new houses seem to sell very fast.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:47 AM

294 posts, read 829,183 times
we were one of the first to move into TPAWL.....while it's become bigger than we like, we try to train our new residents to wave and not to be in such a hurry....seems to be working! :-)

seriously, all three neighborhoods are great. You can't lose! good luck!

Old 06-13-2010, 01:38 PM

189 posts, read 374,565 times
We'd really been charmed by the neighborhood at TPAWL, and we were so happy to find 'wavers'.

One of the houses we looked at was actually abutting the water treatment plant. We'd heard that there had been an odor issue at one time that got straightened out within a year or so, but that people are a little leery of the neighborhood because of that. I'd really like to know the real scoop from residents about whether you ever do notice its presence, whether because of odor, noise, bright lights, etc. TIA for your candid thoughts.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:59 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,814,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherAmy View Post
We'd really been charmed by the neighborhood at TPAWL, and we were so happy to find 'wavers'.

One of the houses we looked at was actually abutting the water treatment plant. We'd heard that there had been an odor issue at one time that got straightened out within a year or so, but that people are a little leery of the neighborhood because of that. I'd really like to know the real scoop from residents about whether you ever do notice its presence, whether because of odor, noise, bright lights, etc. TIA for your candid thoughts.
I have lived in the neighborhood since 11/2007.

I have never smelled anything on my property. The only area within the neighborhood where I ever detected any sort of odor is the far Southeast segment of Capulin Crest Drive (From Approximately 7376 Capulin Crest down to 7352 or so). When we were looking at homes a number of the homes on the East side of Gretna Lane were on the market. We ruled those homes out based on floorplan and size but NOT because of proximity to the plant.

The Town of Cary performed an extensive research and remediation project in 2008, hiring a consulting firm to help eliminate the possibility of odors coming from the plant. I would say the efforts were 99% successful. We walk our dog twice daily around the "loop" of Capulin Crest and I can't remember the last time I noticed anything unusual in the air.

In winter (when the leaves are off the trees) the plant can be seen from 5 or 6 backyards on Capulin Crest and a handful of homes on Gretna Lane. All of those homes have sold at least once. One was a foreclosure where Kerr-Smith Homes went bankrupt and the home sold at a low price. The argument could be made that the lot that home sat on was the single worst lot out of the 190 in the Woodlands-it has the most direct view of the plant as well as a large drainage gulley running down the right side property line.

I'll also go out on a limb and say that a few of the homes that have lingered on the market in the neighborhood were built very early in the neighborhood's development and were not really aesthetically in keeping with what most people would say are the nicest looking properties in TPAWL, lot location notwithstanding. Curb appeal still has a LOT to do with the interest a home receives from buyers.

Vicki R who is a regular around here and a realtor said a while back that she represented the buyer of one of the homes that backed up to the plant and that the buyer didn't mind the plant at all-the buyer stated that having the plant there guaranteed that they knew what would be behind them forever.

Every neighborhood has a handful of lots that are in some way "substandard".
Typically the homes on them sell at the bottom of the neighborhood's price range and take longer to sell. The first buyer gets a bargain and each and every time the home resells it does so at a sub-market price. I'll be the first to admit that I would never buy a lot adjacent to the plant-I have said so before on these forums. That doesn't mean that TPAWL is a neighborhood to avoid IMO. If I look at every home in the Woodlands currently for sale (11) there are only 2 that have any exposure at all to the plant and 1 of those 2 is an aberration-a home that has challenges that go far beyond proximity to the plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary