Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 03:32 PM

6 posts, read 13,076 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info ElkHunter. I'm not very concerned about the snow except blizzards. I'm more concerned with the extreme cold and the wind, that is my real concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 10:19 AM

189 posts, read 564,568 times
i lived in rapid city and now spearfish,except when traveling around. been in number of states. when i first moved to rapid city, i walked in a blizzard ...blowing wind, snow about 2 feet then and still falling. below zero temps. the walk was from what used to be knights inn at south end to downtown library then back. i was dressed for weather and enjoyed it as senior/disabled. most people who live here go in shirt sleeves and/or light sweater when temps in 30's and tease that its like a heat wave they also say if you dont like the weather,wait 5 minutes,it'll change i have stood in one place in spearfish seeing miles around and saw 4 different kinds of weather at one time. im from nc, but lived all over south, and number other places including yakima ,wa and i like the weather in spearfish,except when icy places. i've been in ice storms,hurricanes,dust storms,heat,humidity,dry,etc, so i think i may have a good perspective. was never beyond new york or in hawaii or alaska. maybe someday. just try a place for yourself. if you dont like it, move again. i move a lot, but last few years keep coming back to spearfish/black hills,rapid city.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:58 PM

6 posts, read 13,076 times
Thanks pejuta for the information. I find the more I hear positive the better i feel about trying it out. I haven't heard anything bad yet. I have heard that Spearfish can be extremely cold, much colder than Rapid City.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:40 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
East river... Colder thank a hookers heart. Western SD much better. The more you are in the hills the less the wind.

Even the difference between Rapid and the Airport is amazing.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:40 PM

380 posts, read 1,000,581 times
Maybe someone could post some pictures of what it looks like in the winter time in Rapid City/Hill City/Custer/Spearfish areas so the people that haven't ever seen it could get a glance.....just a thought! :-)

Old 09-03-2010, 09:50 AM

189 posts, read 564,568 times
ive lived in rapid and spearfish,mostly winter, last few years and havent noticed any serious extreme cold. even below zero doesnt last long enough to be a problem as far as i have personally seen and experienced.below zero, dressed properly isnt so noticeable if properly dressed. i notice it most in my hands even with gloves. so hands are important to have proper cover. heads too. both most important. cold just doesnt feel that cold and doesnt last long.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:49 AM

948 posts, read 2,792,123 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...er-09-033.html

Lead winter 2009

Old 09-04-2010, 07:30 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Rapid city's winters must not be too cold.

A guy from Minnesota retired from the military.
His wife was from Florida.

He wanted to move back to Minnesota, she wanted to move back to Florida
He stated he never would want Florida, and convinced her to give Minnesota a try.

After 1 Minnesota winter, she said...." no way are we living here"

A friend suggested Rapid City cuz it has milder winters.

They moved there about 15 years ago and are still there.
( on a tragic note, their 18 year old son got killed in a motorcyclre accident in Rapid City area a couple years ago )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City