Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,576 times

Advertisements

I'm from Minnesota and am staying in Custer, SD. Since we got here on Thursday night terrible migraine, fatigue, dizziness and shortness of breath climbing stairs. It has to be from being from flat Minnesota but it's been absolutely awful in that aspect. The scenery is just as beautiful as I remembered though so it'll be OK for a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 07:12 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
If you are getting altitude sickness at 3,500 feet, anything more than a little shortness of breath, you may be seriously anemic. See a medical doctor.

Otherwise your symptoms are likely to be simple dehydration, especially since most higher altitude locations are out West and typically visited by tourists in the warmer months. Or maybe that shrimp salad you had at the Howard Johnsons is not sitting well.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:36 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,855,288 times
See a Doctor.

uh

Old 07-17-2016, 03:50 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyadee View Post
I'm from Minnesota and am staying in Custer, SD. Since we got here on Thursday night terrible migraine, fatigue, dizziness and shortness of breath climbing stairs. It has to be from being from flat Minnesota but it's been absolutely awful in that aspect. The scenery is just as beautiful as I remembered though so it'll be OK for a few days.
It doesn't seem high enough to get AS. It normally doesn't affect people until 5,000 or 6,000 feet at a minimum. You're extremely out of shape, need to drink more (dehydration), and or have a serious condition going on.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:30 PM

414 posts, read 972,022 times
Unless you have some health problem previously, you should not have any problems in Rapid City.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:07 PM

23 posts, read 50,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyadee View Post
Yes, in Custer, altitude is an average of 5300 ft. Some places in the area are higher - some are substantially higher (when I lived at Jewel Cave, we were just over 5700 feet, and when I moved into the USFS land off of Custer Limestone Road, we were at 6300 feet). So, even though most people don't experience altitude sickness at this elevation, it is possible - especially if they spend most of their daily life below 1500 feet. However, your symptoms most probably can be alleviated by drinking plenty of WATER. Most folks think any liquid will do, but drinking heavily sugared and caffeinated beverages will only aggravate things. If, after 24 hours of proper hydration, your symptoms persist, I would definitely consider seeing a doctor, as you may have an underlying issue.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:52 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,661 times
Whenever I visit Spearfish, I do get more headaches, but that is due to dehydration from adjusting to the lower humidity. I also notice more shortness of breath when exercising, but that's not altitude sickness, that's just altitude higher than what your body is used to.

According to WebMD, true altitude sickness does not exist unless you're above 8,000 feet. The highest elevation in South Dakota is 7,242 so there's nowhere in South Dakota where you would experience true altitude sickness.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:58 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times
I've actually noticed the altitude at as little as 4,000 feet when I moved to Wyoming from sea level. Granted, I never got sick or a headache but a little short of breath. I was in pretty good shape at the time. Indeed, at Fort Wauchucca in Arizona, which is at 4-5k feet, the soldiers stationed there notice the altitude and many of them are in top shape.

Last edited by Dangerous Dave; 08-29-2016 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City