Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 07:33 AM

17 posts, read 31,118 times

Advertisements

I want to start this new thread so people can put their experiences about Fishing on Rapid Creek and I mean from on the shore. I don't have a boat and I don't see how one can actually fish the creek from a boat, maybe an inner tube would be cool but wouldn't your hook get caught in it? I don't know just sayin'

I have been here in Rapid City, SD for about 4 years and I have just recently been trying to fish the creek with some success here and there. I have searched and found online tips on bait, lures and fishing techniques used in freshwater fishing and I have used fishing flies, nightcrawlers, & etc with some success here and there depending on how the fish are feeling at the time but I haven't seen much focused about fishing here in Rapid City, SD and the creek that runs through it so here it is:

Last edited by skw1rl; 10-03-2014 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: Specifications
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 08:21 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
I grew up in the hills, just 18 miles West of Rapid City. Rapid Creek run through our property. I learned early on that what works in one spot, doesn't work on the next. At our place, I used worms.. Our neighbor couldn't catch moss with worms, and he used lures. So you really have to feel them out.

Good luck!

Last edited by ElkHunter; 10-03-2014 at 10:19 PM..

Old 10-05-2014, 04:43 AM

According to the SoDak GFP, Memorial Pond is stocked with trout (?). What is the trick for catching trout from there? And the creek runs through there too, I have seen fish from the bridge but I can't seem to get them to bite, one almost did but....

I even got me some chest waders cuz I have seen people using them and I'm not afraid to get in the water but it is starting to get colder now.... but I have read that trout eat when it gets colder (?). What about catfish? I am just now finding out that there are different types of catfish too and they all eat different things too. I was trying to use liver and mix it with garlic and let it get stinky (according to other fishing websites) but haven't had much luck with that either -_-

I am from Hawaii and I'm used to just baiting my hook with squid and tossing my line into the ocean from the shore and something eventually bites... sometimes eels will steal your bait!

I remember when I was a kid that my dad once had a manta ray got caught on his line, at least that's what he told me the next morning when I woke up and there was a manta ray on the shore! It was huge! I mean I was a kid then but this was a huge fish, or whatever manta rays are classified to be, I don't know, but I still remember it pretty vividly. And I mean the big black kind with a big open mouth. I know they eat plankton and he must have snagged the hook or gotten tangled in the line from what I remember and the knowledge that I have of them. I wish we had taken a picture! I wanted to take it home but it was too big to put on his jeep :O

Anyway, I love to fish. I have gotten a few bites sometimes just enough to tease, you know? And I wonder what can I do to be more successful? Thank you and Aloha!

Old 10-05-2014, 05:20 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
This dammed iPad is about to go on my list. This is the third time I've started writing this post.

First you won't find catfish in Rapid Creek. I highly doubt you'll find them in Canyon Lake.

Also, what works varies by season. Weather, later levels and appetite affect what works and how the fishing goes. The Rapid City journal prints a fishing report in their Thursday papers, in the outdoors section. (Edit) I will also add, good shops like the Rooster in the gap or Cabelas will also relay what works, they relay what customers have had luck with and will dole out advise. Good advise and what works are important to stay in business.

As far as waders, the only time I'd think about using them around here would be when flyfishing. It is becoming somoene hat more common around here. Usually on Rapid Creek from Pactola throug Rapid. Flyfishing has a whole set of equipment and technique. It is something I'd like to delve into, someday.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:01 AM

Red face re Catfish Rapid Creek

@SD4020
Quote:
First you won't find catfish in Rapid Creek. I highly doubt you'll find them in Canyon Lake
I've seen a big fat one abt 12" at night near the wall of Roosevelt pond and caught a couple (small ones) at Roosevelt Pond. Would love to catch that big one at Roosevelt (y). Yeah, fly fishing looks tricky although the Tenkara technique I've seen on youtube and on Dakota Angler's website looks like it makes sense. Aloha.

Last edited by skw1rl; 10-05-2014 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: Clarifying

Old 10-05-2014, 09:46 AM

Oh, and has anyone tried or seen this book from Dakota Angler's? TROUT FISHING IN THE BLACK HILLS - Dakota Angler & Outfitter

Old 10-05-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skw1rl View Post
Oh, and has anyone tried or seen this book from Dakota Angler's? TROUT FISHING IN THE BLACK HILLS - Dakota Angler & Outfitter
My experience with books on fishing is that the book takes massive amounts of seasoning. There is no set pattern for trout. One size does not fit all. Fish with lures and a hundred feet down stream and lures don't work. Worms in one spot and they won't work elsewhere. You have to feel out the creek. Its not textbook.

By the way, there are no catfish in a fresh water stream. ponds, lakes, sure, but not in Rapid Creek.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:34 PM

Also, the size of the ponds won't allow catfish to become big and fat. Well, bigger and fatter.

Asking the bait shops is better than any book on trout.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:10 PM

Used to go down by New Underwood, don't even remember the name of it. Was an over grown stock pond. We'd limit out on bullhead, I think the limit back then was 50. Two or three of us would go down there and limit out, and then come home for a fish fry. It was great. To this day, bullhead is my favorite, and I live in a cabin along the Tongue River. If I want two trout for supper,I grab two worms and go catch two Browns, without fail. The fishing is great,not more than 150 feet from my cabin. The Big Horns of Wyoming, you can't beat it.

When I lived in the hills, the fishing was good. Not as good as here, but good.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Used to go down by New Underwood, don't even remember the name of it. Was an over grown stock pond. We'd limit out on bullhead, I think the limit back then was 50. Two or three of us would go down there and limit out, and then come home for a fish fry. It was great. To this day, bullhead is my favorite, and I live in a cabin along the Tongue River. If I want two trout for supper,I grab two worms and go catch two Browns, without fail. The fishing is great,not more than 150 feet from my cabin. The Big Horns of Wyoming, you can't beat it.

When I lived in the hills, the fishing was good. Not as good as here, but good.
The pond by New Underwood is Curlew. It is still very popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City