Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 09:32 PM

6 posts, read 41,663 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I was wondering if someone could provide me with some information on Rapid City. My wife and I and 1 year old son live in Fargo and I'm ready to get out, I hate it here and want to move, my wife wants to stay in Fargo but has agreed to move some where, we both like Rapid City and it is close to both of our families.

Could some one show me what sights to look up about Rapid City that shows realtors, and employeers. My wife is an RN and I'm sure finding a job at a hospital would be easy, what hospitals are good to apply too. I work at Lowes now but would like to better utilize my degree and work at a car dealership are there better dealerships then others.

Also last questions, are house prices fairly cheap in Rapid City, and what is the current population, it is not a big deal at all i'm just curious.

Thanks for listening to me ramble, I look forward to hearing responses.

It has been a while since I have been to the Black Hills and will be nice to go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 10:16 PM

119 posts, read 585,712 times
The main hospital in Rapid City is Rapid City Regional Hospital. My mom is an RN there.

I haven't lived there in about 8 years, so that's all I have to put in for you.
Here are a few websites.
City of Rapid City - Home
Visit Rapid City - Black Hills of South Dakota
RapidCityJournal.com - Rapid City, South Dakota's News Leader » Front

Old 01-20-2008, 10:52 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,569 times
Rapid City proper is between 60,000-70,000 and its metro area is over 100,000. Houses are not super cheap but not as expensive as Colorado, California, Minneapolis/St. Paul, and other places. The house prices are comparable to Sioux Falls and to me seem a little higher than Sioux Falls. There are affordable houses and some that are fancier.

With you and your wife being in the medical field, the city has a good-sized hospital system and a number of nursing homes.

DannyBanany and a few others will give you very helpful adivice of many of your questions.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:20 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Thanks for the segue Chris! Haha!

I live in Rapid City and I find it to be a very nice, beautiful community. Rapid City is at about 80,000 people and the surrounding metro is at about 120,000. The weather here tends to be much warmer and much less humid than anywhere else in South Dakota and snowfall is actually unusual. Rapid City has no real commute except for the 20 minute rush hours at 8AM and 5PM and people here are very courteous.

Rapid City Regional Hospital is the principle healthcare system in Rapid City and throughout the Black Hills region. It employs somewhere around 10,000 people in the area and over 3,000 in Rapid City alone. My mother used to work for them and she loved it. She now works for an assisted living center in Rapid City and she loves that work as well. There are endless assisted living centers/nursing homes in Rapid City. any senior citizens retire to the Black Hills.

An RN should find work very easily in Rapid City.

Good luck with the move and it me with more questions if you have any!

Old 01-21-2008, 07:55 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Montana, welcome to the forum!! There's nothing I can add since you've already been given great advice. It seems that anyone in the medical profession could find employment in most areas of So. Dak. There are always openings in the hospitals and nursing homes and clinics, etc.

Good luck to you and your family and you can't go wrong with a move to the Hills. It's a very nice and peaceful and majestic area of the country.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:32 PM

Thank you for the advise and all of the help, I am actually excited to get back to some elevation and warmth after living in the frozen artic for 11 years. what was the temp there today? Here it was around -5.

My wife being the RN should not have a problem finding a job. I have a bachelors degree in business management. Any ideas of where I can go as far as employment is concerned. Right now I work at Lowe's here in Fargo. I know there is a Lowe's there but unless I can get into mangement there I will want to find something else. Does anyone know anything about Liberty VW in Rapid. I worked at the VW dealership here in Fargo and if I do not stay at Lowe's I would like to got back into the car business, but in the service department as an advisor or manager.

Also who are good real estate companies to search for there. We'll have to sell our house here but I want to find a job down there first and start to look.

Again I aprecciate all of the the advise and great answers and hopefull by this time next year Rapid Citywill have three new residents.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:12 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Past Weather for Rapid City, SD Records Averages

According to the site above, the high was 7 and the low was -12 in Rapid yesterday. But it's warming up and is 9 degrees there right now.

I think the area would be glad to have three new residents.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:27 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
I have a distant uncle that works at Liberty Volkswagon here in Rapid City and he has worked there for about 10 years. They sell Audis, Volkswagons, Chryslers, and Dodges. They also have a Jeep branch and a Mazda branch. They're owned by the Patnoes and located along Cambell Street and Omaha Street.

There is a Lowe's in Rapid City along with a Menard's and a United Building Center. Home Depot has been looking at plots around Rapid City too. My cousin is a manager at Menard's too.

Managerial work should be easy to come across here with all of the new businesses coming in.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:30 PM

Thank you very much for the info. could your uncle find out if Liberty VW is hiring? I'd like to get in as a service advisor and hope to move up to management? What other businesses are coming into town. I'd like to start looking soon, but I'm just not sure where to look. I appreciate the help and we are looking forward to coming out there and looking for jobs and a new house.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:30 AM
JPP

31 posts, read 78,306 times
An RN is always a valuable degree but with 2 nursing schools in the area, RCRH may be maxed out. It obviously depends on the timing. Here's their website Rapid City Regional Hospital - Home As stated, there are many assisted living facilities in the area. Westhills Village is probably the largest and nicest. It's website is Westhills Village Retirement Community, Rapid City, SD - New Beginnings!

Yellow Pages, White Pages, Maps, and more - Switchboard.com lists Liberty Motors # as 605-342-9347. Ask for Don Patnoe. He is one of the owners. He may turn you over to whomever hires for their businesses. You can find the phone numbers for any business on "switchboard".

Get aggressive on "Google" looking into jobs listed, topics of interest, companies you may be interested in, Chamber of Commerce (RCChamber) even the local newspaper (The Rapid City Journal). Google can give you links to most all questions.

As to house prices, RC is not cheap but compared to the rest of the country, still more affordable than most. Yes, the real estate taxes are high, but we don't have a state income tax so it evens things out. (The government has to pay for the infrastructure somehow!)

When it comes time for school for your little one, the schools on the west side of town have the highest test scores. Corral Drive School received national honors (Blue Ribbon School) a few years ago for being one of the best in the nation. That takes a very dedicated principal to motivate for that to be done. It's next door to one of the best middlle schools in the state as well, Southwest Middle School. Being two working parents, being within walking distance of those schools would be beneficial to you.

We moved to Rapid from out of state as well. I can tell you from experience that Rapid is a great place to raise a family, there are a variety of opportunites for entertainment, the crime is low & the area is beautiful. I'm glad we moved here! You will be too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City