Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 12:04 AM

3,882 posts, read 4,534,690 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I just found out that June is a rainy month in June and sometimes severe storms come through. But I also found out that last June was super hot in the Badlands area by reading on a hotel review for Wall that it was 100 degrees and too hot to sit outside and watch the sunset! Ug!
Is this type of heat usual for Wall SD in June, or was it weird?
Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 06:01 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
With June anything is possible. Storms are possible, usually in the afternoon. It is fun to watch a storm form off to the west then have it pass over.

The heat doesn't bother me any as long as it's not humid. You roast instead of steam.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:55 PM

125 posts, read 184,174 times
As SD4020 said, you just never know. That said, 100 degree heat in June is unusual, even for the Badlands. By august sure, but the typical highs in June should be in the 80's.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Okay, so visiting the Badlands will be part of an epic road trip from Southern California. I'm looking at some cabins near the town of Wall and the entrance to the park, and while I know 1 night would probably be enough, I'm tempted to stay 2 for 1 full day so we can see the park at different times of the day. Also thinking with all the traveling around it might actually be nice to take a breather, get some laundry done and maybe even take a nap, lol! Also since we'll be 90% in the mountains and the forests during the trip, thinking it would be fun to experience a little of the great plains, (I'm assuming this area is a part of that?)

We'd be driving in from Deadwood (taking the scenic route) and would plan to arrive in the evening before sunset, stay two nights, then leaving early when we depart to go back over to the Black Hills where we plan on hanging out with the presidents at Mount Rushmore and we already have reservations for one night in Keystone so we can see the night time ceremony.

So I also heard about the Minuteman Missile historic site. Looks like the tours are already sold out the day we'd be in the area, but maybe we could at least go to the visitor center? I know my husband would be interested in that.

OBTW, if a storm does come in we're fine with that, and if on the rare occasion a tornado shows up, the people at the cabins said there's a church basement where they lead people to, yipes!

Thoughts?

Old 04-21-2017, 04:51 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Your plan seems fairly solid.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Your plan seems fairly solid.
Thank you! Just needed a reality check.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:29 AM

I also think your plan is a good one. I know the cabins you're talking about and they are pretty nice. Badlands is an amazing park, most people just do the loop road and are done in a few hours. But giving yourself a day and half or so is a much better idea. There are some great short hiking trails but they are best early or late int he day. The Sage Creek area is off the beaten path and is worth a visit.

If Minuteman NHS is of interest and tours are sold out you might make a stop at the South Dakota Air and Space Museum. It's free and I believe they also have a Minuteman launch control unit, although it's not in the ground like at the NHS.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:06 PM

701 posts, read 693,405 times
While you are in Rapid City, you might want to take the Black Hills tour at Ft. Hays. We took this tour 2 years age and it was great. The bus driver told us fact we would not have known if it weren't for the tour. Here is the link. A little pricey but well worth it. We went at the end of August and you could not ask for better weather. We pass through the Badlands on our way home. They were awesome.

Mount Rushmore Sightseeing Tour Package - Fort Hays

Old 04-27-2017, 06:13 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
When would be the best time to visit Lead, SD?

Old 04-28-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
When would be the best time to visit Lead, SD?
For most people the best time would be June - September, excluding Rally week. Unless your looking for skiing, then I'd go from December-February.

You can pretty much see all the sights in Lead in a day and Deadwood makes a good home base for visiting the Northern Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City