Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 09:43 AM

551 posts, read 1,589,917 times

Advertisements

Both hubby and I are reaching the age of deciding about where to retire. He moved out west to get a job in a small town. I have lived in the same small town (26,000 population) for over 30 years. When I first moved here, we were smaller and had no stop lights. We have stop lights now.

We've checked out Arizona (where I am from) and we've checked out Nevada. We both like to play Black Jack are only vice.

He's from the Black Hills area. His family homesteaded near Hot Springs way back when. His grandmother grew up near Dark Canyon.

We were looking at Rapid City as a possible retirement location.

My biggest question is: What's the weather like? How cold does it get? What's driving in snow like? (I've only driven twice in snow). How dry is Rapid City in the winter? How much snow falls in Rapid City? What do you have for mass transit in Rapid City? What's shopping like? How's the medical care?

I have a zillion other questions but those are some starters.

Thanks so much in advance,

LF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 10:58 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Uh, not to be snarky, but why don't you ask your husband? He could answer a lot of those questions if he grew up in the area.

As for climate, here are two great resources:

Weatherbase It gives climatic averages for most places of any size all over the world.

And . . .

Historical Climate Data Summaries - High Plains Regional Climate Center This is a more detailed site, with climatic information on most all climate reporting stations in the High Plains States.

As for the Black Hills specifically, I have been reading this book recently-- The Insiders' Guide to South Dakota's Black Hills and Badlands. It is not just a tourist guidebook, and both of the authors are Black Hills area residents. The book was just revised, so is fairly up to date. I don't live in the Black Hills, but I have family all over the Dakotas.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:03 AM

Snarky yes...we've been back to visit South Dakota many times, usually in summer, but we have NOT lived there. He's not lived there since graduating from Tech in the late 70s.

There is a difference between living and visiting...so any friendly tips would be appreciated.

And yes I do love South Dakota. Most people have been fairly friendly and summers there are wonderful. Although there was one summer when it was snowing in July in the high country...

Old 09-06-2009, 10:14 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Rapid City winters are surprisingly bearable and mild. They get snow but it melts in a couple days and it's usually "powdery" instead of heavy and wet. It gets pretty cold though and winters are long. Snow falls more in March-April than the mid winter months. Higher elevations, of course, get more snow. Rapid City is pretty dry year-round so heavy snow accumulation is unusual... Not impossible though.

Driving in the snow is best experience by-- driving in the snow. The basic rules are take your time and don't follow too closely. After that, just make sure your tires are good. 4WD only helps to get around in heavy snow and it won't help you brake any faster.

Mass transit in Rapid City is the Rapid Ride bus system. It has routes all throughout the city.

Shopping in Rapid City is pretty spotty, but that's mostly because one mall is dying while the other is not complete yet. It makes it hard for businesses to come in. It's getting better though.

Rapid City Regional Healthcare is the largest healthcare provider in a 300 mile radius and it covers several states. I've had nothing but great experiences and I've never heard anything bad.

Hoe everything works out!

Old 09-07-2009, 09:18 AM

Thank you for your upbeat reply! It sounds pretty well like how we remember it. Rapid City Regional is a wonderful hospital, I can never say anything bad about it, as they took super care of my mother-in-law. Some of the most caring people I ever met. Wish they were like that here.

As to driving in snow: We don't get rain/snow here much so when moisture hits the oil rises to the pavement. Of course guess who was driving on oily snowy pavement after dropping the kids off at school. I remembered what my husband told me to do and thankfully did a slow skid stop. But it scared me. We do get snow here but it's minuscule. Figure an inch and the kids are out of school.

Could you please tell me about the new mall. Where is it going to be located? What major stores are planned?

Around here we have almost zip for shopping. No Safeway but we do have two Alberstons. No major stores of any kind and no bookstores. I buy almost everything from Amazon including my shoes.

We do have a small community college but if the kids want to get there BA or BS degree they have to head out of town. The nearest college is just over a 100 miles away.

I live near Death Valley so I am used to desolation. Would love to live in a nice area that offers some amenities but a bit of quiet. Don't like city living as it's too noisy. Would love to live near a small creek that's out of the flood zone. I love water as I have spent most my life without water unless its pumped out of the ground.

Like I wrote earlier hubby's family farmed in Dark Canyon while another part of his family ranched near Hot Springs. I have been to Olerichs, Buffalo Gap, etc. I've even been to Oral!

Thanks so much for helping us decide on where to retire. Who knows we may remain in California but I think we'd be happier leaving.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:34 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Hi Land, I saw your post yesterday, but was in such a hurry that I decided to reply later. Here's a good link for weather, too~

Average Weather for Rapid City, SD - Temperature and Precipitation

The RC area has a milder climate then a lot of the state, but it's not tropical by any means.

You'll find that our state residents are quite friendly and welcoming.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:59 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
The new mall is called Rushmore Crossing and, so far, it has a Target, TJ Maxx, Gordman's, Scheels, and a few others in between. It's an outdoor mall and a few other stores are planned for it too. The old mall, Rushmore Mall, has a Herberger's, JC Penney, and Sears. There is also another shopping plaza planned on the opposite side of I-90 from Rushmore Crossing and that's where Cabela's is located.

Rapid City has two Safeways, four FTCs, and Don's Valley Market. Rapid City used to have an Albertson's but FTC took it over just about a year ago.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
The new mall is called Rushmore Crossing and, so far, it has a Target, TJ Maxx, Gordman's, Scheels, and a few others in between. It's an outdoor mall and a few other stores are planned for it too. The old mall, Rushmore Mall, has a Herberger's, JC Penney, and Sears. There is also another shopping plaza planned on the opposite side of I-90 from Rushmore Crossing and that's where Cabela's is located.

Rapid City has two Safeways, four FTCs, and Don's Valley Market. Rapid City used to have an Albertson's but FTC took it over just about a year ago.

Used to shop at Safeway (Vons) but they quit business here. I miss them as I don't like Albertsons. Our Albertsons has OK beef. Stater Brothers, our other grocery store, has even worse beef. FTC I presume means Family Thrift Center. Never shopped at one of those. Have shopped at the Pig. I like J.C. Penney but don't shop there as they closed down their catalog dept. here. No Sears either except an appliance store. Herbergers is nice and I have shopped there but not much.

My big dream, and I am sure Rapid doesn't have everything, is the following:

Trader Joes
Barnes and Noble
Applebees
Red Lobster
Mimi's Cafe
Wendy's

OK I like to eat...I also like to cook and a gourmet cooking store would be good too. I order most of my baking supplies from King Arthur Flour or Amazon.

We are planning a family reunion next summer in the hills. We were trying for this fall but it didn't work out. When I am back in Rapid, I'll check things out.

thanks!

Old 09-08-2009, 11:41 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadmoFan View Post
Used to shop at Safeway (Vons) but they quit business here. I miss them as I don't like Albertsons. Our Albertsons has OK beef. Stater Brothers, our other grocery store, has even worse beef. FTC I presume means Family Thrift Center. Never shopped at one of those. Have shopped at the Pig. I like J.C. Penney but don't shop there as they closed down their catalog dept. here. No Sears either except an appliance store. Herbergers is nice and I have shopped there but not much.

My big dream, and I am sure Rapid doesn't have everything, is the following:

Trader Joes
Barnes and Noble
Applebees
Red Lobster
Mimi's Cafe
Wendy's

OK I like to eat...I also like to cook and a gourmet cooking store would be good too. I order most of my baking supplies from King Arthur Flour or Amazon.

We are planning a family reunion next summer in the hills. We were trying for this fall but it didn't work out. When I am back in Rapid, I'll check things out.

thanks!
There are two Safeway's in Rapid. If I get back there I think that would be my main grocery store.

There is a Boarder Book store
Applebees
Red Lobster
A couple three Wendy's

An OK Kitchen supply store... Someone's in the Kitchen, its not my favorite. More about the gadgets than good tools. So restaurant supply stores would be better for me.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:44 PM

464 posts, read 1,355,222 times
To those "big city" readers, Herbergers is the same as Younkers. Owned by the same, same products. Herbergers is just a much smaller one level dept store. Herbergers takes Younkers cred cards, and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City