Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 03:17 PM

41 posts, read 93,400 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

It's about four months before I will be able to move to Rapid City and I plan on taking my two cats with me. One is a long haired large (25lbs+) cat, and the other is your everyday shorthaired cat.

Does anyone have experience moving animals from a warm climate into a cold one? Will they be able to adapt okay? We wont be putting them through the drive we will be flying them to SD, but I'm a bit worried about the climate change for them.

Both were born in AZ and have always been in AZ. Though both are indoor cats and don't go outside.

Thanks for any help,
Jessy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 05:43 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,786 times
My two dogs love this weather up here.they really didnt like the heat in south texas much.and they really loved the long ride here.but it took me a while to clean off two days of dog drool off the side of my jeep.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:27 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
If the cats are indoor cats, they won't even know the difference. But if you occassionally take them outdoors, limit the outdoors to very short periods until they get used to it. Next year, you'll notice that their fur is thicker, even if you don't take them outside.

They'll be fine. I brought a 1 and a half pound T-Cup poodle back to Wyoming when I got out of the Navy in San Diego. Dog grew up there. First winter we were very careful taking her out, the next year we couldn't keep her in unless it was extreme cold of below zero.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:29 PM

451 posts, read 977,087 times
Kisses - did not move from hot to cold, but moved our 20 lb. Cocker Spaniel from warm (70s) to well over 100 degrees ten years ago in summer. We were thinking along the same lines as you with the climate issues. Vet help a lot as he told us to check with the airlines as any temp extremes can affect them (he was thinking about the flight that we were planning at that time). We would up driving - all went well - Sadie was fine (walks changed to mornings, but since you have indoor kitties that I get that isn't an issue). Bottom line, for the flight - I'd check with the airlines.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:51 PM

41 posts, read 93,400 times
I've looked into the animal flights before and they are temperature controlled (at least last time I saw). My cats never go outside. It will take us 2-3 days to get to SD (only one driver), so a ride isn't the greatest idea. Both cats hate cars and cry cry cry non-stop. I know it's expensive but well worth it for not having the hassle of animals on such a long trip.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:49 PM

551 posts, read 1,590,730 times
Check to see who offers the best service for flying pets. It used to be the dog breeders/trainers would ship only by Delta. I don't know if Delta even flies to Rapid City.

Use commonsense when taking care of your animals. Bring them in when it's really cold outside. Check with the Rapid City humane society for cold weather tips.

Most animals adapt just fine. We lived in Arizona (where I was born) and moved to Kansas during the fall when my Dad was in the US Navy. Our dog made the move just fine. Within two weeks of our arrival she had a nice winter coat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissespwns2 View Post
Hello all,

It's about four months before I will be able to move to Rapid City and I plan on taking my two cats with me. One is a long haired large (25lbs+) cat, and the other is your everyday shorthaired cat.

Does anyone have experience moving animals from a warm climate into a cold one? Will they be able to adapt okay? We wont be putting them through the drive we will be flying them to SD, but I'm a bit worried about the climate change for them.

Both were born in AZ and have always been in AZ. Though both are indoor cats and don't go outside.

Thanks for any help,
Jessy

Old 10-26-2009, 02:55 PM

551 posts, read 1,590,730 times
Quote:
I've looked into the animal flights before and they are temperature controlled (at least last time I saw). My cats never go outside. It will take us 2-3 days to get to SD (only one driver), so a ride isn't the greatest idea. Both cats hate cars and cry cry cry non-stop. I know it's expensive but well worth it for not having the hassle of animals on such a long trip.
You could get the vet to prescribe some tranquilizers. That will make them happy. Also, you can put butter on their paws to help distract them when you move into your new abode.

If they are indoor cats, it won't make any difference weather wise.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:26 PM

948 posts, read 2,792,123 times
Holy Moly 25lb cat that is huge - sounds like a Norwegian Forest Cat or Maine Coone - if so that one will be fine for sure as the northern climates are where those breeds came from. I have a part Norwegian Forest cat, he loves the winter and his thick fur between the paws keeps the pads in less contact with ice and snow. If you keep them indoors though it will not be much of an issue.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:16 PM

451 posts, read 977,087 times
Quote:

Good deal, I didn't know about the temp control. Depends for us on how long we take to sell here, but our plans to get a new buddy actually may come to pass before we move. Therefore, I am interested in this thread. I did a little bit of research on this and I did find the airlines seem to do a good job on the temperature controlling of the cargo hold. That is great news for those of us moving in the winter.

With that research I did find that it is not recommended to give your pets sedatives (with regard to the flight option) because it may make them drowsy and disoriented and unable to "right themselves" in the event of turbulence. FYI, part of our leg of travel included a flight from RC to Denver and we were not allowed to get up that whole flight due to turbulence. Storms happen. So, I am sure you take great care of your animals and your vet will have his/her recommendations. Just wanted to add what I found .

Old 10-26-2009, 09:14 PM

314 posts, read 930,905 times
They'll be fine....just keep em in at the house for a week or two , dont let them bolt on ya when the door is open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
View detailed profiles of: