Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:52 AM

26 posts, read 99,750 times

Advertisements

I have not lived in the states for 6 years. I have not really had an opportunity to watch real tv all this time. I have the Armed Forces Network which is satellite based. I hardly have reception lately because of all the wind an rain. There are 10 channels total with two of them sports and one the tv guide

What do most people there have? Do you get good reception with Direct/Dish tv? When I lived in Texas, most people had cable. How expensive is it now? What are some of the companies to choose from? My friend in florida pays $80 a month for cable. That seems really expensive to me. I appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 01:25 PM

68 posts, read 172,179 times
for cable you have two choices: Knology or Midcontinent. both are nearly identical in prices and offered services. I receive my Internet through Knology, and well..... lets just say it leaves alot to be desired (gaming demands some pretty serious stuff). due to where one of my roomies works, we also get free directv. its alot better then cable as far as channels are concerned, and reception is excellent. only time we have issues is when its blizzarding out, and snow starts to accumulate on the dish.... even then its easy to fix: just sweep off the snow and BAM high-def tv is back in full swing.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:34 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,832,120 times
I like Direct TV myself. Midco is okay for cable. I wasn't impressed when I had Cable internet. I would rather have DSL.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:13 PM

819 posts, read 1,745,266 times
I had dish network in texas and did like it at all. In RC I have midco and like 4020 said its ok.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:36 PM

45 posts, read 205,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVAstopGamer View Post
.... I receive my Internet through Knology, and well..... lets just say it leaves alot to be desired (gaming demands some pretty serious stuff).
Not to hijack this but.. NEVA is the issue that you can't get enough bandwidth, or is the fact that you have alot of outages. My wife works from home, I don't need alot of speed.. but I need a lot of reliability.

Thanks

Old 04-12-2010, 11:25 PM

68 posts, read 172,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtoTX View Post
Not to hijack this but.. NEVA is the issue that you can't get enough bandwidth, or is the fact that you have alot of outages. My wife works from home, I don't need alot of speed.. but I need a lot of reliability.

Thanks
i have the bandwidth i need (aprox 5mbps), but my pings are high when when connecting to something out of state, and i do get outages alot during the nighttime hours. we do have noticeably less bandwidth between 5 pm and 10 pm, as well as the entire first week of august (sturgis bike week). my pings are what bothers me the most, because as a gamer, i need pings of less then 100 ms, and all to often i have these nasty lag spikes, and i will see pings of 2000 ms, and shortly there after lose my connection to the games server, but still have a Internet connection.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:07 AM

509 posts, read 1,350,750 times
You may have signed up for the 5mbps but that doesn't mean that you're receiving it all......Especially with the times you mention it appears that Knology doesn't have enough power to handle that many people logging on at once. Also, depending on what games you play you may want to look at port fowarding for your router. I know when I played Starcraft, I had to do that on my wireless router so that I was able to host because I had latency issues.....

Old 04-13-2010, 10:12 AM

45 posts, read 205,769 times
How is DSL availability? FIOS? Right now I use 6mb DSL (really on get about 5mb), for a RDC (remote desktop) to AZ over a VPN.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:38 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,726,888 times
My mom has phone, HDTV cable, movie channels, and internet with Knology and she pasy about $120 per month. She also has cable in 3 rooms. I don't know if that costs more though.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:39 AM

955 posts, read 3,650,874 times
In RC if you get Directv you DO NOT get locals included - they are not available in our area via directv - with Dish you do - when our Directv contract ran out (came with it from Denver) we switched over to Dish to get locals included and it has been so much better - love dish It was a huge pain the last year waiting for our contract to run out and not having locals via the directv!

We do our phone and internet via Midco - just switched over a few months ago from Knology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City