Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 11:30 AM

4 posts, read 13,237 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Lately, I've been having a lot of issues with my current broker and am looking around for a different one. I won't state my grievances here, but I want to get an idea of what kind of commission is common these days.

I've heard a lot of people say 50/50, but here is what I was offered at my last interview:

40/60

- 25% training fee for 6 months
- 20% transaction fee
- $1500 per month desk fee
= Take home: before expenses

This seems like an insult to me as my sales/rentals numbers are good vs. how well the market is currently doing, but many firms in my area have hit me with similar commissions/fees. I was told that with higher desk fees comes greater commission splits; typically $1500 per month fee with 80/20 split.

I am currently with a 50/50 split, no fees and all advertising expenses paid. Can someone explain what is going on?

-Violent Snuggles
RE Agent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 12:12 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Fees vary from company to company. In my area, what you describe doesn't exist for any companies that I am aware of.

I am not surprised though that larger brokerages would be changing their splits. Many of them are really hurting and have large overhead.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:04 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Haven't seen any splits like that. Just contact the different companies and schedule a meeting. Ask for what you think you're worth. I think CB/ERA/C21/KW/Exit/ReMax are all good companies in no particular order. CB/ERA/C21 are going to be similar. Exit/KW are similar with some differences in caps or recruiting structure, ReMax is a unique model. All are good, just a matter of which is the best fit for your personality, knowledge, and production. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:03 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
My deal... I am a small RE/MAX Broker in Kentucky. About $1000 to the office, $ 226 to the Regional Ad/Management Fund/ 95/5% split on all deals. You pay for all personal advertising. This is about 85/15 real split at $100,000 gross commission income.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:50 PM

75 posts, read 170,399 times
Our office pays all expenses (with exception of MLS Dues/Board Fees) and pays 50/50 (for even the lowest level producer) & a $100 transaction fee. I bet we spend about $3,000 a month on marketing and the company still makes a decent profit (I'm also the bookkeeper). I'm not sure what the norm is in your market but the 20% transaction fee sounds crazy to me.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:04 PM

434 posts, read 1,309,852 times
My office is a 90/10 split, I looked at large companies (mine has 70 agnts) and the splits were 50/50-70/30 and had ALL KINDS of fees. A couple of the larger companies were mentioned above and they're more like recruiting factories. And they fee you to death. My broker charges small transaction fees on a sliding scale depending on the sales amount.

You get hired because people like and trust you, not because of your broker's name.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDerek View Post
My office is a 90/10 split, I looked at large companies (mine has 70 agnts) and the splits were 50/50-70/30 and had ALL KINDS of fees. A couple of the larger companies were mentioned above and they're more like recruiting factories. And they fee you to death. My broker charges small transaction fees on a sliding scale depending on the sales amount.

You get hired because people like and trust you, not because of your broker's name.
Derek, I almost agree with you. I hate the "recruiting factory" moniker, but you know you are on to something. It's a sad fact that part of our business model of today's world requires recruiting.

Be careful about being fee'd to death. I am the broker-owner of that model that is often most identified with fees. While fees can be obvious and therefore become a target, agents must remember that the total of fees is nearly always lower than the total of the splits. Bottom line, brokers require "X" amount of income to provide "Y" amount of services to their agents. Profitability has to be part of the equation too.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Derek, I almost agree with you. I hate the "recruiting factory" moniker, but you know you are on to something. It's a sad fact that part of our business model of today's world requires recruiting.

Be careful about being fee'd to death. I am the broker-owner of that model that is often most identified with fees. While fees can be obvious and therefore become a target, agents must remember that the total of fees is nearly always lower than the total of the splits. Bottom line, brokers require "X" amount of income to provide "Y" amount of services to their agents. Profitability has to be part of the equation too.
There's no doubt that one may become a Broker and expect to make money to have a successful business...why bother other wise?! My unique situation is that my broker is a VERY successful Realtor who was at one of the aformentioned brokerages that fee'd her to death. Even if you have no sales for a month you still have to pay desk fee's etc...she got sick of it and obtained her broker's license. Turns out she's a phenominal broker (for 10 yrs now) and is always avaliable to her agents. A very open door to many loyal agents!

Old 06-18-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDerek View Post
There's no doubt that one may become a Broker and expect to make money to have a successful business...why bother other wise?! My unique situation is that my broker is a VERY successful Realtor who was at one of the aformentioned brokerages that fee'd her to death. Even if you have no sales for a month you still have to pay desk fee's etc...she got sick of it and obtained her broker's license. Turns out she's a phenominal broker (for 10 yrs now) and is always avaliable to her agents. A very open door to many loyal agents!
Ok, let me see if I understand. A broker offers agents an opportunity to make hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars in commission incomes. Then the agent fails to close a listing within a month. Ok, let's see... the broker's expenses didn't stop. There is a utility bill, maybe e&o, general liability expense, etc. There's even a payroll, and the agent thinks that its ok to let the broker cover all the expenses from his/her reserves because unless the agents sell enough to cover those expenses, there is no other income. Did I understand you correctly?

Instead of a "it's your deal" mentality, let's start looking at agency as being a small business. I assure you that at my office, an agent has a better chance of success than any other office in the area, but they must operate as a business and not as a real estate splitting deal.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Ok, let me see if I understand. A broker offers agents an opportunity to make hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars in commission incomes. Then the agent fails to close a listing within a month. Ok, let's see... the broker's expenses didn't stop. There is a utility bill, maybe e&o, general liability expense, etc. There's even a payroll, and the agent thinks that its ok to let the broker cover all the expenses from his/her reserves because unless the agents sell enough to cover those expenses, there is no other income. Did I understand you correctly?

Instead of a "it's your deal" mentality, let's start looking at agency as being a small business. I assure you that at my office, an agent has a better chance of success than any other office in the area, but they must operate as a business and not as a real estate splitting deal.
Well, it's a law of averages. While one agent may close three transactions in a month and another has a blank month, broker is still ahead. She has 70 agents and only hires experienced agents who bring their clients along. Broker didn't work (for however long) to gain these clients but benefits non the less because these clients become her clients. Sure she has expenses but her over head is kept low. Plus, as you can imagine at this split amount (90/10) there are no leads distributed and if there are those are handed to you and aren't cold or warm leads. They're red hot leads at a 70/30 split. She owns her business and business name; doesn't operate under a large brokerage name so there's no type of franchise charges or splits for her....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals