Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:48 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times

Advertisements

An agent we have worked with in the past has a potential buyer she wants to show the house to, even though we are not currently listed. She knew we would still like to sell & kept our house in mind, as asked. We are filling out the needed paper work to do the one showing to these folks, etc.

BUT my question is!
Should we give an asking price, in anticipation of a lower offer and take it from there.

OR
should we just go ahead and price the darn thing at our bottom dollar, as is, no quibbling, take it or leave it. It is what it is. We buy a warranty, can be out asap....period
And cut out any back & forth poop.

what do y'all think?
I am so dingy headed today I can't think straight.
SO-thank you for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 12:54 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
An agent we have worked with in the past has a potential buyer she wants to show the house to, even though we are not currently listed. She knew we would still like to sell & kept our house in mind, as asked. We are filling out the needed paper work to do the one showing to these folks, etc.

BUT my question is!
Should we give an asking price, in anticipation of a lower offer and take it from there.

OR
should we just go ahead and price the darn thing at our bottom dollar, as is, no quibbling, take it or leave it. It is what it is. We buy a warranty, can be out asap....period
And cut out any back & forth poop.

what do y'all think?
I am so dingy headed today I can't think straight.
SO-thank you for any help!
I have no problem with the second approach. But it should be presented as "This is what we are willing to do today to make a deal, and hope we can make it work."
Not, "Take it or leave it."

Offer it in the best light you can, reaching across the void of uncertainty, not an "In your face" sort of abrupt thing.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 06-30-2010 at 01:16 PM..

Old 06-30-2010, 12:57 PM

157 posts, read 440,433 times
I agree with Mike. Good luck

Old 06-30-2010, 01:10 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Since it isn't on the market, do you need to set a price at all? If it is an option, you might be better off to have a number in your head, but just say "make an offer based on what you think the house is worth and we'll discuss it from there."

Old 06-30-2010, 01:12 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Since the potential buyers's agent contacted you I would hope that agent has already given their client an idea of what is a fair price. In such cases that price should be communicated to you by the agent. If it is way below what you are willing to accept you should tell the agent that you need to see the comps they used to arrive at that price...

Old 06-30-2010, 02:11 PM

17,424 posts, read 14,642,907 times
I like cutting through the bullcrap as much as possible & 150% agree with the approach Mike has posted.

Good luck!

Old 06-30-2010, 02:52 PM

434 posts, read 1,309,719 times
I think regardless of what you "list" for the natural inclination of a buyer is to offer less. It's been ingrained to not pay full price on anything you can negotiate a purchase price (ie houses, cars etc). Just keep in mind you need to know what the market value is for your home. If you ask too much and the sales price will not appraise, the buyer will not be able to obtain financing, unless they're willing to come up with more $$ out of pocket. If you list for under market value you could leave $$ on the table.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:55 PM

434 posts, read 1,309,719 times
I think regardless of what you "list" for the natural inclination of a buyer is to offer less. It's been ingrained to not pay full price on anything you can negotiate a purchase price (ie houses, cars etc). Just keep in mind you need to know what the market value is for your home. If you ask too much and the sales price will not appraise, the buyer will not be able to obtain financing, unless they're willing to come up with more $$ out of pocket. If you list for under market value you could leave $$ on the table.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:07 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
I like doing the bottom line approach, however, I've also found that in today's market, buyers still feel they should have the last word and will probably still come back with a counter, so do the verbiage, just don't do your actual bottom line. Keep a small buffer for the "just in case."

Old 06-30-2010, 03:56 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I'm not an agent, but I couldn't resist. I like the idea of having them make an offer first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals