Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 07:09 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I agree with LCT. I have been in business for almost 10 years and I have no relationship with the home inspectors that I recommend other than I know they will do an excellent job for my Buyer(s). I do not receive kick backs and my Buyer(s) attend the inspection and witness the inspection in progress. They are free to ask questions and the home inspectors have all been excellent in answering their questions and even educating many of them on home maintenance.

So sorry - I have never heard of this dirty little secret that you refer to.
It may be possible your state operates differently, or there is more supervision over these Inspecting services.I was told I had no recourse other than to sue the original owner who supposedly " covered up" the faults. The original owner had already left for the Coast and his retirement home.

Now , I have sold, built , a number of properties over the years in several states. Not one time were there any problems after the sale on any of my houses. I don't-want you to think I am buying into some conspire to defraud ether all across the country. What we need here are personal experiences from others who may have gone thru similar experiences .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 08:05 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,436,540 times
I tell buyers my story. Professional real estate broker, hundreds of transactions closed. I thought I knew enough to buy a hous without an inspection. Bad GFI inkitchen led to me making coffee in the bathroom for a week, with the cramer in a cooler since the fridge did not work. Or that the basement flooded because the sump pump was not plugged in.

My job as a broker is to help you get a great deal. That you have a great experience and tell your family and friends.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
It may be possible your state operates differently, or there is more supervision over these Inspecting services.I was told I had no recourse other than to sue the original owner who supposedly " covered up" the faults. The original owner had already left for the Coast and his retirement home.

Now , I have sold, built , a number of properties over the years in several states. Not one time were there any problems after the sale on any of my houses. I don't-want you to think I am buying into some conspire to defraud ether all across the country. What we need here are personal experiences from others who may have gone thru similar experiences .

The problem is you took your one, individualized, BAD experience and painted a broad brush about Realtors and our industry in general....and a rather distorted view at that.

I'm sure there are crappy, dishonest Realtors everywhere....heck I have had to deal with my share so I know they are out there! There is one on our city forum right now acting like he is a CONSUMER so he can recommend himself to posters (how dishonest is that?). We already have that "sleezy salesmen" persona to many and having crappy ones out there only serves to justify that. What you don't realize is that there are also good, honest, hard working agents who truly care about our clients. We value our client's satisfaction, for selfish reasons. We want referrals from past clients. Its a win-win for both IMO.

Not all are great, that's why only about 20% of us really succeed.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
The problem is you took your one, individualized, BAD experience and painted a broad brush about Realtors and our industry in general....and a rather distorted view at that.

I'm sure there are crappy, dishonest Realtors everywhere....heck I have had to deal with my share so I know they are out there! There is one on our city forum right now acting like he is a CONSUMER so he can recommend himself to posters (how dishonest is that?). We already have that "sleezy salesmen" persona to many and having crappy ones out there only serves to justify that. What you don't realize is that there are also good, honest, hard working agents who truly care about our clients. We value our client's satisfaction, for selfish reasons. We want referrals from past clients. Its a win-win for both IMO.

Not all are great, that's why only about 20% of us really succeed.
Fine , but I would still like to hear from others who have had problems with inspecting firms. I am sure most brokers are honest, after all i am a broker myself , not a real estate one however.Sometimes in our quest for success we encounter others who can mess up the deal and or our own reputation .

Old 02-21-2014, 12:42 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Yes , it's common knowledge , but kept quiet. The buyer orders the inspection, but usually it's the realtor that actually does this and mostly there is a relationship between the Inspector service and the Agent. Yes often there is only a " surface" inspection and the first person to see this inspection is the agent, not the buyer. Stretching the truth in order to make the sale smooth is common.
If you really believe this then I can no longer carry on a rational conversation with you.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:19 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,272 times
Quote:
Yes , it's common knowledge , but kept quiet. The buyer orders the inspection, but usually it's the realtor that actually does this and mostly there is a relationship between the Inspector service and the Agent. Yes often there is only a " surface" inspection and the first person to see this inspection is the agent, not the buyer. Stretching the truth in order to make the sale smooth is common.

Personally I had this happen to me on the last house I bought. Septic was not working correctly , appliances failed and both furnaces blew up after less than a month of living there.The decking wood was rotten covered up with plastic wood filler then painted over ( very dangerous ). The whole inspection was a scam.
so much wrong in this post right here..

I've never had an inspection report sent to me before my buyer. My buyer pays for it, they get it. They get asked, EVERY SINGLE TIME, "is it okay if I send a copy of the report to your agent".. At some point, I get a copy, typically at the same time as my client if it's emailed.

My clients always say yes to me receiving a copy, as they understand that in my area, in order to ask for any repairs, a copy of the report has to be included..

I'm not naive to think that there is not collusion out there between agents and inspectors, but no one likes blanket statements, whichever way they are spun.. I'm not putting my license at risk to try and smooth over a sale. I'll go out and find a better home for my client simply

Old 02-21-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
so much wrong in this post right here..

I've never had an inspection report sent to me before my buyer. My buyer pays for it, they get it. They get asked, EVERY SINGLE TIME, "is it okay if I send a copy of the report to your agent".. At some point, I get a copy, typically at the same time as my client if it's emailed.

My clients always say yes to me receiving a copy, as they understand that in my area, in order to ask for any repairs, a copy of the report has to be included..

I'm not naive to think that there is not collusion out there between agents and inspectors, but no one likes blanket statements, whichever way they are spun.. I'm not putting my license at risk to try and smooth over a sale. I'll go out and find a better home for my client simply
Read my later post about this. Bottom line I lived out of state, I guess I put too much Faith in the Realtor. This was not my first rodeo , I feel had I been there I would have uncovered some of the cover ups myself. I still believe that this happens , as to what degree that is the question. As I recall my agent offered to set up the inspection and let me know the report. I do not remember if she emailed it too me or not, or if the Inspection service sent it to me direct as well. Buying a house is not a lot different than a used car, often things "happen" after the sale and it's usually very difficult to get satisfactory recourse. The way I see it , once my agent found out all of our problems after the sale, (I sent her a long letter )she should have intervened with the inspection service as it was her choice to use them, for recourse on all the repairs they overlooked.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:57 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:

Personally I had this happen to me on the last house I bought. Septic was not working correctly , appliances failed and both furnaces blew up after less than a month of living there.The decking wood was rotten covered up with plastic wood filler then painted over ( very dangerous ). The whole inspection was a scam.
Yes most agents order home inspections, but they will typically ask the buyer if they have an inspector they want to use or not. 95% of home buyers have no idea of what inspector they want to use and will pick one off the agents' recommended list. So there is no hiding.

Yes there are stories about horrible inspectors. You aren't the only one. At least out here a septic inspection isn't done by a home inspector. Those are done by septic companies and that would have been an extra fee.

There is no stretching the truth. Like all professions, there are those that excel and those that are anti-excelers.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
If you really believe this then I can no longer carry on a rational conversation with you.
I am trying to defend the agent, after all I chose Her to represent me ! What I see however is the less than honest report from the Inspector, I can not find any defense there. I guess I should ask you , how far should the Realtor go with so many infractions by the Inspector.?

Old 02-24-2014, 07:50 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Read my later post about this. Bottom line I lived out of state, I guess I put too much Faith in the Realtor. This was not my first rodeo , I feel had I been there I would have uncovered some of the cover ups myself. I still believe that this happens , as to what degree that is the question. As I recall my agent offered to set up the inspection and let me know the report. I do not remember if she emailed it too me or not, or if the Inspection service sent it to me direct as well. Buying a house is not a lot different than a used car, often things "happen" after the sale and it's usually very difficult to get satisfactory recourse. The way I see it , once my agent found out all of our problems after the sale, (I sent her a long letter )she should have intervened with the inspection service as it was her choice to use them, for recourse on all the repairs they overlooked.
in general, I'd agree she should have, and if you received no satisfaction there, then you should have gone to her brokerage. maybe you said she owned the company, then you take it to the Board of Realtors or the state licensure board.

FOr several years, ALL inspectors in NC have had to be licensed by the NATIONAL association of home inspectors. Not NC, national. I can only assume most states are the same.

Flowery legal language aside, if the inspector truly carries out gross negligence, they are liable.

But a septic system can go bad quickly. So can HVAC systems. In NC, home inspectors don't do enough dismantling of the HVAC system to get you the best answer - but they are doing what the law requires them to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals