Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:20 PM

9 posts, read 15,185 times

Advertisements

Here is my question. My house has been on the market for about a month now and we have had only one person look at the house. When we put it on the market we listed it for 89,000. It is a three bedroom 2 bath house with about 1100 sq ft in the Gulfport, MS area. It is what I would consider a starter home. It needs a little cosmetic work. The house is about 14 years old and has not really been updated. We are thinking about reducing the price but I don't know how much we should reduce it to. We are priced in the same range as comps in our area. Do you normally reduce houses in $5,000 increments or do you sometimes do less than that? It is priced at or a little below appraisal value.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 12:41 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,586,913 times
This market is all about price, that is what folks are looking for. If a few cosmetics, not much of a problem. Some people actually want to remodel or redecorate; but most want the bargain right now.

It is a fact that, if the house is priced to sell and the price stays the same over the entire marketing time, your days on the market will actually be less, and you have a better chance of getting the highest price. The best buyers and best offers come at the beginning of your listing period. The above is historically true in any market, especially this one.

Drop the price as far as you can, and keep it there. Don't play around with the price increments etc.

Homes that have prices drop in "pieces" will stay on the market twice as long and any offer that comes in will be lowball. Consumers can look on any internet site (Zillow, Trulia etc.) and get information on prices, and ... on Zillow, read the fine print at the bottom of their website. Disclaimers galore.

Your Realtor is the only reliable source for pricing history and pricing expertise. Let us know how you make out !

Old 01-27-2011, 06:51 PM

10,994 posts, read 22,028,709 times
Generally anything less than 5k is not going to do any good.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:39 PM

That's what I thought. I waiting to hear back from my agent to see what she says. Thanks for the help!

Stephanie

Old 01-28-2011, 12:23 PM

470 posts, read 1,503,563 times
Few showings generally indicate that the home is priced too high. Rather than chase the market down, if it is still going down in your area, work with your agent to set an aggressive price that makes you a better buy than your competition. As for the comps that you are priced in lie with, are those recently sold or currently listed?

Old 01-28-2011, 03:47 PM

They are currently listed, however there was a house similar to mine that was in forclosure that sold for 85,000. I finally got a email from my realtor and she suggested to lower it by $5,000. We are going along with that price and adding a few more pictures to the listing. We also bought a home warranty to see if that appeals to more buyers seeing that the house is 14 yrs old. Hopefully this will bring us more lookers and eventually an offer.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:25 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,586,913 times
Just a thought, but lowering the price by another $400 or so, which is about the cost of the home warranty, would mean more to a buyer. Ask your agent, but warranties are not that popular anymore.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:29 PM

10,994 posts, read 22,028,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Just a thought, but lowering the price by another $400 or so, which is about the cost of the home warranty, would mean more to a buyer. Ask your agent, but warranties are not that popular anymore.
I don't agree with that.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:43 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,834,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I don't agree with that.
I agree home warranties are important and almost a given when buying a home. I would drop 5K, maybe even 10 and see where is goes. Only one looking in a month shows your overpriced by quite a bit.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:19 AM

470 posts, read 1,503,563 times
Hopefully you got a home warranty that also covers you until the home is sold. They don't cost that much more and are definitely handy when something goes wrong before the sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals