Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:58 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,589,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Our agent has been great for us in buying and selling.I am not fully understanding what you are saying about the selling agent.
Agents refer to the "selling agent" as the one that brings the buyer, thereby causing the sale of the home. In this case, the selling agent is your agent. The listing agent represents the seller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 12:17 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,327,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Agents refer to the "selling agent" as the one that brings the buyer, thereby causing the sale of the home. In this case, the selling agent is your agent. The listing agent represents the seller.
Ok ,i have never referred to our realtor acting on our behalf in buying a home as a "selling agent" before. I always thought the listing and selling agent wer the same. person You learn something every day..

Anyway we are submitting a much stronger offer,after learning about the condition of the comp's and the seller getting back to us saying from which price point they are willing to entertain offers.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:17 PM

470 posts, read 1,502,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Our agent has been great for us in buying and selling.I am not fully understanding what you are saying about the selling agent.
While it might seem confusing, the selling agent is not the agent that is listing the property for sale except in one circumstance. Whether the agent is the listing agent or the selling agent is determined by which part of the transaction the agent recommends. The selling agent is the agent that represents the buyer that purchases the property, or the buyer's agent. If he listing agent brings the buyer, he/she then is both the listing agent and the selling (buyer's) agent.

So, your agent would be a listing agent when you put your house on the market and the selling agent when representing you as a buyer, or, lacking a buyer's agency, when providing the service working with a customer.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:54 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,529,206 times
This seems to be the new strategy, especially with foreclosures but also with normal sales.

People dramatically drop the price and then let it turn into a bidding war.

I was looking at foreclosures. Seems like everyone caught onto this strategy at the same time. I saw plenty that were overpriced at about 120k. Several dropped the price to around 72k and then interest started comming in, they then would ask for best offers and would wind up getting about 100k-115k.

Strategy seemed to work. I dont know what would have happenned had they justdropped from 120k to 110k but this seemed to work well as offeres poure din.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:44 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,327,329 times
Thanks for all your input , our best offer was not good enough. Ah well, we are looking at 3 more homes this weekend.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:18 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,784,255 times
You have to be absolutely firm on what you can afford and what you will pay for a given type of house or property. If the seller's agent is indicating that you are going to have to exceed that you need to walk.

I personally wouldn't do bidding wars. If I was told there were competing higher bids I would walk away because I suspect most times this is just a bs tactic to get buyers to overpay.

Remember, that you aren't a homeowner until you pay a house off, but a LOANOWNER. If you got to go into debt do it as efficiently as possible and don't get emotionally involved in the process. Think of it as a business deal (cost/reward) and you will be better off. Renting is the safest option right now anyway unless you are looking in a market like Las Vegas, which is priced less than rental parity right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals