Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 11:51 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,147,258 times

Advertisements

I have previously exclusively worked with sellers and referred buyers to others in my office. However with the market shifting, I am going to start working much more with more buyers.

My problem is, My current vehicle is a small 2 seater sport car, not very comfortable, and obviously I can't drive a couple around in it.

Does it seem that out of the ordinary for an agent NOT to drive buyers? I figure it will give the buyers a chance to talk freely amongst themselves between homes without feeling any pressure from me. And as long as they sign a buyer brokerage agreement I'd be happy to give them gas cards before or after each of our trips.

What are your impressions of this mode of business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 12:24 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,323,141 times
In all honesty, not good.

One - from the agent's point of view: I always hate it when buyers want to follow me to the houses. I had one couple that did this because they had a couple of little dogs in the car with them. This turned out to be disasterous for me. I wasn't able to build the needed rapport and get a feel for what they were thinking. We ended the day with them giving me some excuse about "just going to wait a while", but they had asked me plenty of questions about a new home subdivision that they had toured themselves before they met with me. I know they went and purchased there (lousy homes, way overpriced for the quality). I really think things would have turned out differently if they had ridden with me.

Two - from the client's standpoint. I think most view it as a little tacky. Their opinion might be "if you're in the business of showing people homes, wouldn't you have something appropriate to drive them around in."

My vote - either buy an appropriate vehicle (doesn't have to be a brand new luxury SUV, just something that looks decent and seats 4 comfortably) or else just keep doing what you've been doing (sellers' agent) and refer out the buyers. And get your sellers to drop their prices so their homes sell and you get your commission.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:43 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,622 times
Here's what I feel from a buyer's standpoint:

Dealt with two agents-one drove us and one didn't.

Honestly, we preferred NOT being driven around. Being as we were with the agent in the car, and in the house...there couldn't be any "private" conversation between my husband and I such as whether or not we felt the agent was pressuring us...or just anything private.

I don't mind being driving myself. However, as a plus, perhaps you could take your client out to lunch on one of the days...or on the first day driving give out a $10 gas card/American Express card.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:13 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTraub View Post
I have previously exclusively worked with sellers and referred buyers to others in my office. However with the market shifting, I am going to start working much more with more buyers.

My problem is, My current vehicle is a small 2 seater sport car, not very comfortable, and obviously I can't drive a couple around in it.

Does it seem that out of the ordinary for an agent NOT to drive buyers? I figure it will give the buyers a chance to talk freely amongst themselves between homes without feeling any pressure from me. And as long as they sign a buyer brokerage agreement I'd be happy to give them gas cards before or after each of our trips.

What are your impressions of this mode of business?
Not a good impression. Hubby and I also prefer to drive ourselves; but when you are an out of town buyer you do count on your agent providing transportation. Even if I was an in town buyer and knew that my agent couldn't provide transportation I would question if they were a professional, experienced agent. I think very highly of your postings, and don't take this personally; but a two seater sport car makes me think of carefree, party type person; I think I would not have an impression of a serious real estate agent even if I was happily in my own car. I think the gas card idea is genius. Perhaps you could pick up a nice sedan or SUV that is used for business only on the cheap. Tax breaks can help you out with costs a bit. You are obviously a very caring agent to pose this question.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:17 AM

612 posts, read 2,778,954 times
I'd rather follow someone than ride with them.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:27 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Most of the time we would prefer to follow as well. My wife has problems with perfumes and such so riding with a agent who wears perfume (most people overdo it) or in a car with those air fresheners gives her a migraine. Plus it gives us a chance to talk.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:42 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
We always prefer to follow. It gives us the opportunity to talk amongst ourselves.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:55 AM

6 posts, read 29,617 times
I always insist on taking my own car. I'm highly allergic and can't ride in a car where anyone has smoked, used perfume, or had dogs or cats in it.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:39 AM

631 posts, read 2,446,174 times
I ask the shoppers if they would want to ride with me or if they would rather follow. I personally prefer if they follow in most cases or at least half way.

If they are driving a sports car, sedan or motorhome they have to ride with me.(in the boonies showing land).

Old men and ladies ride with me. Usually single shoppers ride with me.

If they have infant(s) they usually want to follow as they have their creature comforts close at hand.

If they are the type that have 2 million questions that bring up another million questions before seeing the land and are getting themselves all worked up and worried over details, I usually have them follow if they can. If not, they'll scare themselves out of buying before seeing the land.

Guy(s) that are questionable in their intentions follow. (follow me with my partner)

Folks with large dogs follows.
Folks with stinky dogs follows.
Folks with out of control kids follow.

I have won appts to show property to folks that no other sales persons could because I had the biggest car and toughest car for bad roads and could hold the whole family who would insist on riding.

If they take their own car, it's handy for alone time. If we have lots of details to cover it's best they ride with me, or we'll go half and half. Follow half way then ride with me, serves many purposes.

I don't think there is one answer. But having a sports car does limit you and does give an impression.

I got in the business and had NO money. The only car I had was a big nice van with the big nice van payment. (got the pmt from the divorce) My customers were forever commenting on my van and assumed I was rolling in the dough. My time meant nothing to them, they would thank me, ask for lunch and want to do it again sometime. When I finally made enough money to buy a land car, I bought a $1,200. primer gray dodge colt. Customers appreciated my time more. I sold a lot of land out of that car!
Then I moved up to an Explorer which brought no car impressions other than wow when I drove them up the side of a mountain driving over logs with my 10 ply tires, then a Navigator with big comfy leather seats,(very strong beefy car!) car attitudes came back, now I have an Expedition with cloth seats and back to no attitudes, just appreciation for the comfort and room it provided for the ride.

My associate just bought a new pick up truck. It will only fit one person in the front seat then has the two muppet seats in the back. I warned her of the appts she'll lose out on during bad weather before she bought it. She will be mud bogging to property in 4 wheel drive and takes it for granted as she lives out there. We'll have lots of missed out appts this winter because of that or I'll get to show them instead.

Her loss my gain. Get a different car if you can afford it.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:54 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,843,475 times
I like offering my clients the choice. Some want to ride and some want to follow. I am ok with either, but do plan a "breather" stop and buy them an ice cream, lunch, starbucks something so we can "review" what their thoughts are.

If you have a 2 seater, then you are unable to make that offer.... I hate to say it, but the baby's gotta go!! You have to have a car that can accomodate those buyers....

Just my humble 2 cents.

Shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals