Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:43 AM

831 posts, read 879,640 times

Advertisements

Just curious if this concept exists.

If I'm in the market to buy a house, and I use the services of a real estate agent to help me find one, I find it unsettling that the more I pay for the house, the more money they get. It doesn't seem like our interests are aligned. Is there ever a case where an agreement is made where the buying agent's commission would be inversely proportionate to what I pay as a buyer? Wouldn't that provide the best scenario?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 12:00 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
You can talk with a flat fee service company or an employee model company, but other than that, we're all independent contractors working on commission, and our best results is when our clients are happy so they refer more friends and family our way. We do not work one transaction to the next to see how much we can get one buyer to spend. Even a $10k price different between properties is a mere $300 that has to be split with brokers and other fees, so it's not worth the pennies to make our buyers unhappy and magically get them to spend more on a house than they want to.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:17 PM

15,583 posts, read 40,455,430 times
Find an agent that will negotiate their fee with you.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:23 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,928,706 times
A couple thoughts

- the SELLER has already agreed to pay a commission based on sales price. If your agent finds you a house he gets to share the already-agreed commission.

- suppose you are the salesman. You get $100 if you sell a basic refrigerator to a customer, $110 if you sell an upgraded model, and $0 if you sell nothing. What's your strategy?

Old 04-22-2013, 02:17 PM

831 posts, read 879,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
A couple thoughts

- suppose you are the salesman. You get $100 if you sell a basic refrigerator to a customer, $110 if you sell an upgraded model, and $0 if you sell nothing. What's your strategy?
Not sure if this question is for me or not, but obviously I would sell the upgraded model were I the salesman.

Hence my question.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:27 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Not sure if this question is for me or not, but obviously I would sell the upgraded model were I the salesman.
Hence my question.
You would try to sell the upgraded version for a mere $10 when you had a sure sale with the regular model? Sorry, but most of us don't work for $10 here and there. We see the bigger picture in making sure our clients are happy so we don't push into more expensive houses. If you, as the buyer, choose to go into a more expensive house, why shouldn't the agent get paid for your decision?

Old 04-22-2013, 04:56 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,656,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
A couple thoughts

- the SELLER has already agreed to pay a commission based on sales price. If your agent finds you a house he gets to share the already-agreed commission.

The actual scenario should be "You get $100 if you sell a basic refrigerator to a customer, $110 if you sell an the same model for more, and $0 if you sell nothing. What's your strategy?"

Do you want to attempt to get $10 more and risk pissing the customer and him not buying anything or try and see if you can sell it for less, make $90 and have him refer 5 friends to buy a refrigerator from you where you make $90 from each of the 5 friends?

So make $0, $100, $110 or $540

Old 04-22-2013, 05:09 PM

244 posts, read 747,973 times
The buyer has nothing to do with the commission. The commission is determined by what the listing agent and the seller agree upon. The listing agent then offers usually half of that out to the buyers agent. You are trying to get in the middle of a contract between the agents and the seller.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:09 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,093,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post

Hence my question.
But if you, the consumer chooses the more expensive home? It is your decision, not ours.

But if you, the consumer cannot afford or qualify for the more expensive home, how will you pay for it?

I give the same level of service to someone that is purchasing a home for $100K or $1M. It takes me the same amount of time and energy. You could spend $100K and then come back to me and want to but a $1M a few years later. If I have provided you good service, hopefully you would return to me as a repeat client.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:52 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,928,706 times
My point is this. Most people buying a house know how much they can afford or are willing to pay. They are not going to pay more because an agent pushes them to do so. They MAY pay more because they come to realize they want to. The agent has very little impact on this (apart from showing them upscale homes).

Not all customers will actually buy, even if they can. They might decide they are happy enough in a present house, they decide to wait, or get rejected for a mortgage.

So if an agent gets a customer to buy something, he will make most of the possible commission he can get out of that customer. The customer usually can't choose to double the amount he pays; at best he might push 10-20%. On the other hand he could choose to walk if he feels pressured by the agent.

So I feel agents are motivated to find most customers what they want and can afford. Because pushing a customer too hard means getting nothing. Contrary to the OP, I DON'T think being paid a percentage significantly distorts the agent's motivation. He has much to gain by making a sale, any sale, and no commission and time lost if he sells nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals