Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 06:38 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,050,601 times

Advertisements

I asked a former colleague for referrals, and he told me his wife has been in the mortgage biz for over 10 years and currently works with a bunch of RE agents.
He said I could maybe do some cross-selling with his wife.

Help me understand how real estate agents benefit by cross selling mortgage products?

It sounds too one-way, with the mortgage officer benefiting more than the RE agent. It's very easy to refer your buyers to mortgage brokers and lenders, but what can they give you in return?
My brokerage already works chiefly with one lender, and it's convenient for us to just send clients that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 05:58 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,010,870 times
Some buyers go to mortgage brokers before they hire an agent. It would have to be a broker w strong marketing outside agent referrals. Ask him precisely how it would work and how many referrals they are able to give to agents each month.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:10 PM

2,154 posts, read 5,184,408 times
Actually, you will likely benefit more by having a mortgage broker passing you qualified buyers than you will going the other way. Many buyers come to an agent pre-qualified through their own bank or through a lender they have used before. Getting them to switch is difficult. Also you may get a referral that you send to the lender that is not qualified or ready.

Getting an already qualified buyer makes the whole process easier.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:13 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,101,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Some buyers go to mortgage brokers before they hire an agent. It would have to be a broker w strong marketing outside agent referrals. Ask him precisely how it would work and how many referrals they are able to give to agents each month.
^^ This

But I am not referring anyone unless they are willing to give the same level of service that I give. I need people that I can trust to take care of the part of business that I am not the expert on. I get very few referrals from my mortgage broker but I at least know that she will get the loan funded (if she can) and keep me in the communication loop.

If my clients trust me enough to be their agent, they also also trust me to only refer them to vendors or professionals that will take care of them too.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,456,887 times
As a real estate agent you have to be Very Careful when recommending one service over another. Can be 'steering'. Most agents have a bunch of cards for inspectors, mortgage agents.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:23 PM

3,803 posts, read 9,332,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
I asked a former colleague for referrals, and he told me his wife has been in the mortgage biz for over 10 years and currently works with a bunch of RE agents.
He said I could maybe do some cross-selling with his wife.

Help me understand how real estate agents benefit by cross selling mortgage products?

It sounds too one-way, with the mortgage officer benefiting more than the RE agent. It's very easy to refer your buyers to mortgage brokers and lenders, but what can they give you in return?
My brokerage already works chiefly with one lender, and it's convenient for us to just send clients that way.
Your first sentence is confusing. YOU asked for referrals, but don't "see the value" in lifting a finger to return the favor?

There is something to synergy. I spend most of my time looking for strong realtor relationships. As a lender, we spend a few grand every month to co-pay for several Boomtown marketing platforms.

These platforms result in a bank of buyer leads who naturally want to talk with a Realtor, if anyone at all. The secret sauce is that our realtor partners should hopefully be recommending us as good lending option. This happens about 10% of the time. But we still cut the check every month.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:48 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,050,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Your first sentence is confusing. YOU asked for referrals, but don't "see the value" in lifting a finger to return the favor?
Yeah you got confused.

I asked for referrals, but didn't get any. Instead, he told me about his wife's business.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:39 PM

3,803 posts, read 9,332,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
Yeah you got confused.

I asked for referrals, but didn't get any. Instead, he told me about his wife's business.
You know what, you're right, there is no value in you attempting to partner with a Lender.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:45 PM

174 posts, read 397,345 times
Its a two way street. You need to be committed to them just as they would be to you.

1. You would be thoroughly surprised how many people get qualified by their bank before ever touching base with an agent.
2. Why would they refer someone to you, when you aren't going to be doing the same to them?
3. Why would they refer some to you, when they have another agent they can refer the client to and know they will see something in return in the long run?

Real Estate is a relationship based business, what are you offering to these people as a benefit to receiving the pre-qualified buyer?

Trent

Old 07-28-2014, 12:24 AM

5 posts, read 6,286 times
Cross-selling is a marketing term for the practice of suggesting related products or services to a customer who is considering buying something. Cross selling can have the disadvantage of causing the customer to lose trust in the seller. They may feel that the seller does not have their best interests in mind, but only wants to take their money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals