Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 09:16 AM

7,272 posts, read 4,223,230 times

Advertisements

If a broker is selling property and learns that an abutter has been arrested for drugs (possession with intent to distribute), does he/she have to disclose that to a potential buyer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 09:27 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,099,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
If a broker is selling property and learns that an abutter has been arrested for drugs (possession with intent to distribute), does he/she have to disclose that to a potential buyer?
Every state has different disclosure laws. In the state of Georgia, we would not have to disclose such information.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:50 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,942,515 times
Quote:
I learned a new word today. And here I was sure I knew it all. Now I am off to write a poem about a drug abutter.

SOURCE: MERRIAM-WEBSTER DOT COM
Definition of ABUTTER

: one that abuts; specifically: the owner of a contiguous property

First Known Use of ABUTTER

Rhymes with ABUTTER

aflutter, haircutter, leaf-cutter, price-cutter, rebutter, stonecutter, unclutter, woodcutter

__________________________________________________ __________________

Back to the OP Question - would not the same laws that apply to Megan's Law apply to other criminals in kind? Buyer beware? Where it may show up unexpectly would be a denial of insurance coverage, when the CLUE pulls up the neighborhood.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:23 PM

16,300 posts, read 10,446,953 times
Thanks I though ti was the only one who didn't know what that meant.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:25 PM

404 posts, read 899,270 times
No, and you can't discriminate for the sexual deviance either.

Last edited by gv28; 07-09-2014 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: back end correction

Old 07-11-2014, 07:48 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,807,098 times
Quote:
I am going to go out on a limb here and say no state requires an owner or an agent to disclose knowledge that a neighbor was arrested for a crime, regardless of the crime.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:34 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,138,690 times
I personally think that while you may not have to disclose either Drug dealing or Sexual preditors in discloser, that IF the buyer asked the question about either that you would be under obligation to tell the truth if you knew the answer.

The neighborhood I bought into, was evidently known for BOTH those things but agent never mentioned them.

when my husband went to look at the house, a passerby told him it was not a good neighborhood, especially if you had children.

about a year after we bought the house, the neighbor two houses away was arrested for running a Meth lab in the house. It took a lot of money to clean it up but at least now we have better neighbors in there.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:58 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,408,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I personally think that while you may not have to disclose either Drug dealing or Sexual preditors in discloser, that IF the buyer asked the question about either that you would be under obligation to tell the truth if you knew the answer.

The neighborhood I bought into, was evidently known for BOTH those things but agent never mentioned them.

when my husband went to look at the house, a passerby told him it was not a good neighborhood, especially if you had children.

about a year after we bought the house, the neighbor two houses away was arrested for running a Meth lab in the house. It took a lot of money to clean it up but at least now we have better neighbors in there.

Not in my opinion. I would direct them to a source where they could research crime statistics. It's not within my scope to comment on neighbors. (Be the source of the source) What if I'm wrong? Then the neighbor can sue you! It is the buyer's obligation to do their own due diligence about a property and that includes the neighborhood. I find it difficult to agree that a neighbor's arrest is a material fact pertaining to a nearby property.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:42 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,623,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv28 View Post
No, and you can't discriminate for the sexual deviance either.
Technically, would that be a "deviater"?

Old 07-13-2014, 07:06 PM

244 posts, read 748,399 times
Agents cannot steer buyers to or away from a certain area. If someone ask if the neighborhood is safe we can not answer that. We can point you to a site so you can look at crime stats etc but if we answer that question we are putting our license in jeopardy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals