Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 07:17 AM

6 posts, read 6,005 times

Advertisements

Need tips on marketing myself as a listing agent for the very first time. I have no formal experience other than selling my own, so why would anyone choose me? What works? What does not?
What can I offer so they choose me over an experienced agent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 08:30 AM

10,986 posts, read 22,026,149 times
Fake it till you make it. You can offer time and energy. Do you have a broker that will work with you one on one?

Old 11-04-2014, 10:08 AM

15,598 posts, read 40,512,894 times
Your broker needs to help you with your marketing plan and listing presentation. Is your broker not offering you any training?

Old 11-05-2014, 12:00 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,052,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Fake it till you make it.
best advice.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:14 AM

8,577 posts, read 12,457,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Fake it till you make it.
Which reminds me of this old quote:

“The most important quality for success in this business is sincerity. As soon as you can fake that, you’ve got it made.â€

Old 11-05-2014, 05:01 AM

8,577 posts, read 12,457,799 times
The good thing about being a Listing Agent is that the LA is usually not the agent who will be finding a Buyer for the house. That will more often be done by other agents in your agency, or by unaffiliated Buyer's Agents. So, you need to develop a good listing presentation which will capitalize on your agency's strengths and you should be able to articulate the marketing plan which will be used to help sell the house, noting your role in the process.

As far as marketing yourself, it almost always starts out by spreading the word to your circle of friends and acquaintances. Pass out business cards, ask for leads...just make yourself known.

Otherwise, in general, you just need to hustle, learn as much as you can, pay attention to detail, investigate properties thoroughly, and followup with clients promptly. Above all, treat each transaction as if it were your own--and always put your client's interests first.

It's a long process, but word should get around.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:21 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,330,929 times
Oh, golly gee, let me get this straight. You want to become successful in an industry that only hucksters and snake-oil salespeople have a public that hates worse by "faking it until you make it?" Really now?
The only thing you have that separates you from any other real estate licensee is your personal integrity. Go into this business with a joy that will never be tainted by one ounce of fake. You just have to work extremely hard, much harder than those in the business.
Take Brian Buffini's "Peak Producers" course. Get out there and ask for referrals first. Get people to introduce you to people.
Read Dr. Henry Cloud's book, "Integrity" Integrity: The Courage to Meet the Demands of Reality: Henry Cloud: 9780060849696: Amazon.com: Books
Never be afraid to make an honest mistake. Get up, get asking, get going. Get a brand that will open doors for you, build your brand and then after five years of education and experience, then and only then give it a go on your own, or not.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:17 PM

10,986 posts, read 22,026,149 times
Tom is taking this a bit literally. Don't lie because that will come back to get you. Put together a good presentation and have your stuff together if you want to be literal. If your broker isn't there for you find a new one.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:19 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,330,929 times
Brandon, yes a bit literal, I agree, but the opportunity to encourage integrity back in the business is one that I will overkill rather than tread lightly upon.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:25 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,846,966 times
For my first year, many years ago, I presented my "company", not myself. I presented that there were 1200+ agents in the company out there trying to find buyers in addition to the remaining 35,000 agents for other companies. It worked well.

Another option is to do what an agent did that made my father-in-law pick his agent over the agent I recommended he use. He chose a brand new agent because the agent told him other agents were too busy to truly pay attention to his listing and he would hustle to get it sold. More than 6 months later and almost $200k below the original asking price, this agent did sell the house. Not the best route he chose, but the agent sure appreciated the listing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals