Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 12:50 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,727 times

Advertisements

It's well known that if the seller can't accommodate your buyer for a showing today or tomorrow, your buyer won't be back. Ever.. even if the seller can accommodate your buyer 24/7 for the next 3 weeks, or even chauffeur the buyer to the house.
I have to wonder what the thought process is.

If your buyer is serious about shopping, he's not going to finish shopping in one day and then quit looking.
So why won't the buyer come back the next time he is out shopping?
Or is it because the buyer's agent decided not to bother rescheduling...
Based on my observations, the buyer's agent usually has a lot of say in what houses to see, and the buyer just tags along.

I'm guessing the buyer rarely says- "Hey, remember that house we missed 5 days ago? Let's go back and take a look." It seems when the buyer's agent neglects to mention the house again, it is long forgotten.

Lockbox... I know, but the seller doesn't want one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 04:46 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
Most of my buyers are from out of town and looking at second home/vacation properties while they're here. They can be 1000 miles away tomorrow.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:52 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,653,622 times
I am about to be a seller, a buyer out of state, and am looking to become a real estate agent after I move. So as the seller, I will be ready daily for showings with little advance notice. I know as a buyer, if there is a property I want to see, I don't want to wait....... but if I have to, I will. I think if a property sparked enough interest for me to want to view it, it doesn't matter if my agent remembers or not, *I* will remember the house I want to see and I'll make sure I get an appointment to see it. I've been watching the market in the area we are moving to and know that what I'm looking for is rather limited so there isn't a huge pool of homes to choose from. I will see to it, as the buyers, that the agent shows me the ones I want to see. With that said, I will be coming from out of state (but will make appts prior). I will not be able to just come back a few days later if the seller were to cancel the appt.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:28 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,103 times
Just lost some out-of-town buyers who drove 1200 miles here and were unable to see their "dream home". I showed them several other homes but the one they really wanted to see had to be shown when the sellers were home, and they were not returning for several days. Don't know if they would have moved here or not, but that was certainly disappointing.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:37 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
My buyers buy a house within 6.14 houses they see. That's usually done in 1 day. They have found a house and no need to worry about the seller who is offering their house for sale but won't accommodate people coming into their house. That's also a sign of how negotiations will be for that seller. The seller thinks everything revolves around them, and sellers need to wake up. If you want to sell your house, you let buyers in.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:51 PM

For example, my seller works all day, 12 hour shift, on the day your buyer wants to see the house, but he's free tomorrow and a few days after.

If your buyer is done shopping, fine.

But I've called back buyer's agents to see if they still want to see the house, and agent responds "my client doesn't have time."
I've also had agents tell me the agent doesn't have time, probably at a disservice to their client. Here in LA, with the high prices, agents don't need to do many transactions, so they have a lot more time than most.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:33 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
For the right house, I would have come back at 2 AM.

The MLS gives you a good idea about the home, you just can't see all the warts. You can only find those by going in. If the home met my basic requirements (zip code, #bedrooms, # baths, yard,etc) and there was nothing special that grabbed me on the MLS, I never went back.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:05 PM

264 posts, read 616,821 times
I agree completely with Falcon.

Sellers need to accommodate buyers, especially in a buyers market! Most of my buyers are random and spontaneous. They will call me at all hours and say they have 2 hours of free time and want to see homes NOW! Off we go.

My other favorite call comes when the buyers are sitting in front of a home they want to see and expect me to drop everything and accommodate them immediately. (I try)

I will line-out as many homes as possible to accommodate my buyers needs, our route, the time of day etc; however, the more difficult the selling agent makes the showing the less likely I'm going to show the home. I pulled one listing yesterday the was demanding a 48 hour notice! Not going to happen. There are just too many homes in our market available to waste time on a listing with difficult showing instructions or difficult accommodations.

Tomorrow, there will be 10 new listings on their wish list they will want to see and they will all but have forgotten about the listing they couldn't get into yesterday.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjob View Post
I pulled one listing yesterday the was demanding a 48 hour notice! Not going to happen. There are just too many homes in our market available to waste time on a listing with difficult showing instructions or difficult accommodations.
That's what I mean. Just make the appointment. It's just a phone call. If you can't make it 2 days from now, just cancel when that day comes.
But don't deny your buyers a showing just because the seller wants a 48hr notice.

What if that 48hr house turns out to be the perfect fit for your buyer?

Old 01-16-2015, 07:01 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
If you can't make it 2 days from now, just cancel when that day comes.
Just cancel? Do you not understand how many sellers get angry, really belligerent, when you cancel a showing? They spent "all that time getting the house ready, and now you cancel?" Not gonna happen. I've also been locked out of too many houses that require such a long notice because they "forget" there was a showing scheduled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals