Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,336 times

Advertisements

Hello I just started out in real estate at a very young age (21) and am working for century 21. I need quicker cash this summer because I have to go back to school in fall to finish up my last year. Now do not get me wrong, when I say quick I do not mean easy money. However I mean quick in the sense that I am going to focus on rentals instead of houses. Before I got my real estate license I helped a friend that already had his by getting those wanting to rent out their places to let him work for him by taking pictures and showing the place. Should this be my strategy right off the start? Should I cold call people and try to get them to work with me? I am not getting much help since I am new and I feel like this is the best way to start out. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 09:48 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,950,301 times
No, this is not the place to start out. You might want to re-evaluate your strategy.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:19 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,174,555 times
You shouldn't focus exclusively on rentals, however, you can market yourself to renters to keep yourself busy while you're pursuing listings/buyers. While some rental deals can go quick, some can take a lot of time, and some renters can be flaky. It's not easy money by any means, but the transactions can go a lot quicker than your typical escrow. Throw a couple of ads on craigslist and get your feet wet. It's decent practice for a new agent and it can lead to referrals down the road.

You can also ask around your office if there are any teams looking for new agents to help them on the buyer side.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:39 PM

153 posts, read 195,122 times
I had a similar philosophy starting out a couple months ago, also with C21... Have not made a single rental, after close to 50 showings. I Have two buyers under contract, and just got my first listing, with only a fraction the effort.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:06 AM

268 posts, read 358,325 times
Do not work with Renters if you want to make money soon. In fact, you should actually have some reserve savings if considering becoming a realtor. Some Realtors dont make a sale their entire 1st year.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:20 AM

43,389 posts, read 77,320,136 times
If I wanted to make quick money in your situation, I would be affiliated with a big firm with a lot of agents.
I would meet every producing agent that I could and I would ask about grunt work and entry-level opportunities, to learn, and to make some money helping them.

It won't make you rich, but it may well be better than chasing renters and landlords. And you might get some good experience to carry forward, as well as earning some brownie points.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:40 AM

729 posts, read 1,508,242 times
Real Estate is a business where you grow successful over time. It is not a "get rich quick" business. If you need to work over the summer to pay for expenses when you go back to school in the fall, find a job with a steady, guaranteed paycheck. A new person will find their pocketbook drained with not much to show for it for the first 6 months to a year. Eventually, you should start seeing a benefit but it comes after a heck of a lot of effort. Heck, even if you got a house under contract today it would most likely be mid-July until it closed.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:21 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,805,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnas View Post
Hello I just started out in real estate at a very young age (21) and am working for century 21. I need quicker cash this summer because I have to go back to school in fall to finish up my last year. Now do not get me wrong, when I say quick I do not mean easy money. However I mean quick in the sense that I am going to focus on rentals instead of houses. Before I got my real estate license I helped a friend that already had his by getting those wanting to rent out their places to let him work for him by taking pictures and showing the place. Should this be my strategy right off the start? Should I cold call people and try to get them to work with me? I am not getting much help since I am new and I feel like this is the best way to start out. What do you guys think?
If you need fast cash go work at Walmart or McDonalds and do your Real Estate on the weekends which is when many people look for homes anyway.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:38 AM

10,991 posts, read 22,028,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If I wanted to make quick money in your situation, I would be affiliated with a big firm with a lot of agents.
I would meet every producing agent that I could and I would ask about grunt work and entry-level opportunities, to learn, and to make some money helping them.

It won't make you rich, but it may well be better than chasing renters and landlords. And you might get some good experience to carry forward, as well as earning some brownie points.
Agreed. I suggest that if you aren't getting much support find an agent you can help out and learn from as an assistant then go out on your own later.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:20 PM

729 posts, read 1,508,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
If you need fast cash go work at Walmart or McDonalds and do your Real Estate on the weekends which is when many people look for homes anyway.
No, please do the rest of us serious Agents a favor and don't even bother if you only work on weekends. Buyers may or may not only be available on the weekends but the rest of the paperwork, inspections and thousands of other details get done during the week. You can be a part time agent and make this business work but nothing is worse than working with an agent that you can only get in touch with during certain hours of certain days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals